The beer lao verdict

jbrain

The beer lao verdict  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what the prices for Beer Lao are in Thailand - here in Laos obviously its dirt cheap (one of only few things comparatively cheap and affordable for all , the other being cigarettes).

As mentioned before, freshness and taste quality of the beer has a lot to do with delivery from the factories in Vientiane or Champassak. Again.. (I love this country's economic priorities thumbsup.gif )...beer delivery to wholesales is one of the few things that work well in Laos. I imagine it takes longer to get through Nong Khai to Bangkok and then the rest of LOS.

Is it worth the premium? Personally I think its a great tasting beer, in the top 3 of Asia. If I still lived in LOS I would buy it regularly for sure. Its brewed with quality imported malts from Belgium and France and hops and yeast from Germany. I don't know where the ingredients for local Thai beers are sourced. I also believe that the original Beer Lao Braumeister was sent to the breweries in Munich to learn his craft.

http://www.beerlao.la/eng/brewing.php?id=8

Are Thai beers great? no not really, however I would still have a Chang before i would drink a Heineken (and many times thats the case as there is not much choice), Heineken might be the most famous beer in the world, but it tastes like crap, and that comes from a Dutch man.
Singh and Leo however is piss, and should stay in the toilet, I can't believe that people like that, it just tastes like water.

Back to topic, I have had only once in my life ordered a beer and did not finish it, that was a Beer Lao.
It might be due to the time it has been on trucks, but in my opinion it was disgusting and not drinkable.

Are there any good beers here for a reasonsable price, no not really. a nice belgium or dutch beer is pricy.
sometimes they do sell Grolsch in central world for 100thb for 0.5liter.
Of course more expensive than the Thai beers here, but in my opinion thats a beer that is worth it.

• Like 1

here just across tyhe border in mukdahan i cannot find beer lao

but when on visarun i happily drink a few

and the dark is very nice also

Edited by retell

Well put me against the wall and shoot me but I happen to LIKE beer Chang just fine. Sorry if my unsophisticated palet doesn't measure up to the exquisite taste of so many beer experts.

Apparently there are a few million other beer drinkers who also like Beer Chang as it is the NUMBER ONE selling beer in all Thailand. Yes it is a few baht cheaper SOMETIMES but given a choice between sing or archer or tiger or heiniken I would take Chang every time.

Not saying that it compares to a fine German type beer but all in all I find it to be a good beer for MY taste.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it. I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

As for Beer Lao I agree that it tastes best sitting in Laos watching a sunset.

It's number one because it's the cheapest not because it's good and people like it. It's mostly poor people who drink it.

It's a nasty tasting bear, pointlessly strong, inconsistent and gives terrible Changovers.

It's the equivalent to drinking Tennants Super or Special Brew in the UK.

Sure like it all you want but there's no doubt it's basically tramp juice.

I think it is all based on your personal opinion

1. Chang is not the cheapest beer in Thailand, go to the supermarket and there are at least 3 brands cheaper and most labor workers drink LEO

Especially the last 2 years, Chang has bee rebranded completely and is now on sale as the single brand in my places where Richer people come.

Not that it matters whether rich or poor people drink it, as I am sure there are many poor people with a better sense of beer choosing then the rich.

2. Thats what your taste buds say, I like chang, as it has a fuller / darker taste then other basic beers, and I have never had a hangover from it.

Leo / Singha / Tiger on the other hand, give me banging heads and I only drink it, if nothing else is available.

And who says it is tramp juice? people with real beer knowledge? share me a link if so, would love to read that.

• Like 2

I first tried beer Lao when I went to Vientiane, liked it and chose to drink it whilst there.

I sometimes drink it in Thailand, feel there is some truth in it not tasting the same here.

I usually drink Tiger but if beer Lao available I do drink it from time to time, at a small premium cost

I prefer the standard one, lager rather than the dark.

I prefer it to any of Chang, Leo or Singha.

Beer Lao OK in my opinion.smile.png

It's difficult to find Beer Lao even at Nong Khai, the nearest Thai city to the brewery. Some farang pubs have the small bottle, priced 300% of what you pay on the other side of the river.

Heineken is still the best beer available everywhere in Thailand. And it is crap too, because it is made in Thailand. Much better when you drink it abroad.

There is a micro brewery in Bangkok, Tawan Daeng. They have a few music halls/pubs. This is probably the best locally made beer. You cannot buy it in any shop.

I not agree, that Thai beer in general is not of good quality. The best beers are Chang and the Horse brand. Chang is brewed by a German beer master 20 years experience. I know him personally. But the Leo brand is just yellow water, no taste. Mostly women drink it. Lao Beer is the best in whole SE Asia, but too expensive in Thailand. Lao beer is based on the experience of French brewing knowledge and staff. Much cheaper in Laos. Some beers in Vietnam are also of good quality, specially to locally made.

One point to mention are the very different prices in different countries. Beer is very expensive in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, higer prices then in Europe. In Vietnam it is incredibly cheap, a big glass of locally brewed tasteful beer just 5000 Dong (1 US$ = about 20'000 Dong).

• Like 1

I notice several members in this thread mention that Beer Lao tastes better on the Laos side as on the Thai side, which I have a hard time to believe.

Laos isn't exactly thousands of miles away from Thailand and in Laos it also has to be transported in the same climate circumstances, so I can't imagine this would have any effect on the final product.

As for the bloating, so far I have experienced this only with one other beer, and that is Chang, which actually is about the cheapest you can buy in Thailand, so I guess that the bloating is related to the quality of the beer.

But what surprises me is that my decision to purchase a box of Beer Lao was actually based on the continous praising of the beer on this forum several months ago. Yet not many members with the same feeling have turned into this thread.

Is it that they prefer to refrain from comment or is it that their previous praising was actually without experiencing the beer and more based on hearsay, and have they since changed their minds?

We all know that the grass is always greener at the other side and change of food makes people eat.

The distance isn't the only thing to factor in, you also have to think about speed of turnover. In Laos, everybody drinks Beer Lao. There may be a few other choices in the Farang bars but when you go into a local Lao pub or disco they don't ask you "what do you want?" they ask you "how many?" Restaurants, convenience stores, pubs... all sell pretty much nothing but Beer Lao, it costs almost nothing, and they sell LOTS of it. Beer gets delivered from the distributor and sold within a couple days. The result is that when you buy a Beer Lao in Lao, it is always fresh.

In Thailand, on the other hand, some third party importer brings a truckload of the stuff into the country, sticks it in a warehouse, and sells it a case or two at a time. Meanwhile, the rest sits there, waiting to be bought. Then, once a restaurant buys it, it sits in the restaurant... and sits... and sits... and sits... because Thai people won't pay 80 baht for a small bottle of beer. So, by the time you drink it, it's not very fresh anymore. Not because of distance, but because of slow turnover.

You can observe a similar situation with Singha beer. Try a Singha in a bar or restaurant in a well off area where people drink the stuff on a regular basis. It will be nice and fresh, and taste quite good. Then, go to a mom and pop convenience store in a small town where everybody drinks Leo. Buy a Singha there and half the time it will taste terrible, because that bottle has been sitting there god knows how long waiting for someone to buy it.

Maybe it just feels like home, maybe the supply chain being shorter is an advantage. I lived in Bitburg, Germany, and I drank within sight of the famous Bitburger brewery. Bitburger draught in Bitburg was the best lager I've ever tasted. 

Just sayin'. 

I agree I worked near there I filled myself up most nights.

I used to buy the big tins to take home

It's difficult to find Beer Lao even at Nong Khai, the nearest Thai city to the brewery. Some farang pubs have the small bottle, priced 300% of what you pay on the other side of the river.

Heineken is still the best beer available everywhere in Thailand. And it is crap too, because it is made in Thailand. Much better when you drink it abroad.

There is a micro brewery in Bangkok, Tawan Daeng. They have a few music halls/pubs. This is probably the best locally made beer. You cannot buy it in any shop.

Heineken the best.................cheesy.gif

A good beer is the one you have to your lips and you are enjoying it regardless of brand, brewery, source or price. And the first mouthful tastes far better than the mouthful you have later in the night after emptying a dozen bottles.

Having said that it is worthwhile to pay extra for Beer Lao . I think so because i can enjoy one bottle in the evening with dinner and i feel i am enjoying one the great pleasures in life. I would rather pay extra for one beer i will enjoy than 6 bottles of a lesser beer.

• Like 1

Well put me against the wall and shoot me but I happen to LIKE beer Chang just fine. Sorry if my unsophisticated palet doesn't measure up to the exquisite taste of so many beer experts.

Apparently there are a few million other beer drinkers who also like Beer Chang as it is the NUMBER ONE selling beer in all Thailand. Yes it is a few baht cheaper SOMETIMES but given a choice between sing or archer or tiger or heiniken I would take Chang every time.

Not saying that it compares to a fine German type beer but all in all I find it to be a good beer for MY taste.

To each his own but the condescending BS of some towards Chang gets old. If you don't like it then don't drink it. I have always thought that Heinken was an AWFUL beer but I know many would disagree and love the stuff. More power to them.

As for Beer Lao I agree that it tastes best sitting in Laos watching a sunset.

I used to hold this opinion as well. I had just finished saying essential what you did, some years ago, and the guy I was talking to leaned forward and said;

'Try drinking it quickly. And warm. Then tell me it's a good beer.'

Edited by BudRight

San Miguel is my personal favorite with Corona being too expensive and Sol beer not being available in Thailand. I like Mexican beer if you can't tell. If San Miguel isn't available i would prefer Leo over Beer Lao, Tiger, Singha and all that, especially Thai style with ice in the glass. Chang tastes good, but it gives me the worst headaches and hangovers ever. So i would so no, Beer Lao is not worth the extra money.

Singha-Probably the best of the Thai beers

Leo- Not bad, used to drink it when on a budget, the lightest of the lot

Chang-This stuff is the worst, seems to be full of chemicals that send people a bit mad(specifically myself)

Lao- One of the best and most refined beers in Asia- I dont like the dark one though

San Miguel-I used to drink this in Manila and its pi**

When comparing the Thai beers and Lao try comparing a hang over with any Thai beer against the Lao and you should realise that Lao is a superior product by far. Just my two cents worth

Mmmm did someone say beer?

Chang - the Thai equivalent of Harp lager (having nicked some of my dads as a kid, once tasted never forgotten) ie an abomination before man and God

Singha - drinkable, esp in large amounts so by time 10 pm rolls around you don't care anymore, tastebuds having being liquidated by the million

Leo I ain't tried, Heiniken can get back home so why bother in Thailand? Can't stand San Miguel, the Mexicans are having a right laugh at the expense of the gringo's

Any way that's my ill informed 2p's worth

Why would the Mexicans be having a right laugh, San Miguel is from the Philippines, not Mexico.

Here's a delicious brewdog from Mexico!

Here's three Lao brewdogs

post-28863-0-58165200-1375440478_thumb.j

post-28863-0-90708000-1375440533_thumb.j

post-28863-0-27140600-1375440565_thumb.j

I notice several members in this thread mention that Beer Lao tastes better on the Laos side as on the Thai side, which I have a hard time to believe.

Laos isn't exactly thousands of miles away from Thailand and in Laos it also has to be transported in the same climate circumstances, so I can't imagine this would have any effect on the final product.

As for the bloating, so far I have experienced this only with one other beer, and that is Chang, which actually is about the cheapest you can buy in Thailand, so I guess that the bloating is related to the quality of the beer.

But what surprises me is that my decision to purchase a box of Beer Lao was actually based on the continous praising of the beer on this forum several months ago. Yet not many members with the same feeling have turned into this thread.

Is it that they prefer to refrain from comment or is it that their previous praising was actually without experiencing the beer and more based on hearsay, and have they since changed their minds?

We all know that the grass is always greener at the other side and change of food makes people eat.

The distance isn't the only thing to factor in, you also have to think about speed of turnover. In Laos, everybody drinks Beer Lao. There may be a few other choices in the Farang bars but when you go into a local Lao pub or disco they don't ask you "what do you want?" they ask you "how many?" Restaurants, convenience stores, pubs... all sell pretty much nothing but Beer Lao, it costs almost nothing, and they sell LOTS of it. Beer gets delivered from the distributor and sold within a couple days. The result is that when you buy a Beer Lao in Lao, it is always fresh.

In Thailand, on the other hand, some third party importer brings a truckload of the stuff into the country, sticks it in a warehouse, and sells it a case or two at a time. Meanwhile, the rest sits there, waiting to be bought. Then, once a restaurant buys it, it sits in the restaurant... and sits... and sits... and sits... because Thai people won't pay 80 baht for a small bottle of beer. So, by the time you drink it, it's not very fresh anymore. Not because of distance, but because of slow turnover.

You can observe a similar situation with Singha beer. Try a Singha in a bar or restaurant in a well off area where people drink the stuff on a regular basis. It will be nice and fresh, and taste quite good. Then, go to a mom and pop convenience store in a small town where everybody drinks Leo. Buy a Singha there and half the time it will taste terrible, because that bottle has been sitting there god knows how long waiting for someone to buy it.

Beer is designed to last. The insinuation that it is not "fresh" after travelling or being stored for a while is not true, especially for the carbonated varieties . When the British ruled the high seas many year (centuries) ago the bottom of their sailing ships were full of beer as water would actually "go off" and they lived on the booze.

I ordered a box of real ales and beers (ipas, porters etc) a while back and ever since I just cant drink the local stuff. So bland.

Expensive habit to order these imported beers.

For what its worth - I'd argue beer lao > Singha > leo > chang.

Beer lao dark is all right

If you haven't tried Beer Lao Dark, now is the time my friend.

It's a really good, distinctive taste.

Much to my approval..!

Where do we get it in Chiang Mai now? and eh, it's your round. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Macro 1 case a little over 1000 bt. Rimping, by the bottle, 45 bt light 65 bt dark.

Tried a Beer Lao years back in Vientianne whilst enjoying an evening meal by the river. I'd never heard of it, so wan't buying it on reputation or hype. I remember thoroughly enjoying it and wondering whether I'd come across it outside of Laos. Sure enough I did find it in Thailand years later but can't say it stood out as being anything exceptional.

Can't say I'm loyal to any particular brand when I go for drinks. Variety is the spice of life! Just don't serve it in a can and NO ICE thanks!

Is it worth the extra money ?

I know every beer produced in Thailand is below standard since it is a thrird world country and doesn't have local access to the ingredients needed to brew quality beer.

So imported beers are the way to go, even if they are brewed in other third world countries in the same region, at least that is what many members on this forum proclaim.

I agree that I will never buy a beer Chang, leo or Singha, as in the first place I prefer spirits over beer, but if I drink a beer I prefer Tiger or San miguel.

I always read on this forum that Beer Lao is one of the best beers avialable in Thailand, so I decided to try Beer Lao dark as it is one of only few dark beers available here at affordable price

Over the past two weeks I finished the biggest part of a box.

My experience is that it has a quite different taste, especially because it is dark and most beers here are lagers, but it is very heavy.

With heavy I don't mean high alcohol, though it's 6.5%, but heavy on the stomach. I have a hard time managing 3 beers on an extended evening, even after 2 I feel bloated, and I can assure you that I would have no problem finishing half a box of Tiger in the same timespan.

So is it a good beer? Not in my opinion, but your mileage may differ.

So the other day I decided to buy 2 bottles of Beer lao lager,only to know if it had the same bloating effect and if it was premium to other beers available. It was a bit more easy on the stomach, but the taste was to me nothing different compared to other lagers like Tiger or San Miguel, which come at a considerable lower price.

So you know my opinion, and I would love to hear your thoughts about this particular brand of beer.

Is it worth the extra money or is it just a overhyped craze which will blow over soon.

If you haven't had draft Beer Lao (ONLY available in Vientiane), then you haven't really tasted it. Of course, it still can't compare to good European beers or American microbrews, but it's much more drinkable than the stuff in bottles that makes it to Thailand. It's also VERY cheap in Laos; in Bor Pen Nyang, a bar/restaurant on the Mekong riverfront in Vientiane, one of those 3-liter towers of Beer Lao with the ice compartment in the middle is only 200 baht. Yes, you read that right.

Edited by Ajaan

Beer is designed to last. The insinuation that it is not "fresh" after travelling or being stored for a while is not true, especially for the carbonated varieties . When the British ruled the high seas many year (centuries) ago the bottom of their sailing ships were full of beer as water would actually "go off" and they lived on the booze.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Beer is designed to last, but not at a temperature of 23 to 35 degrees centigrade. Beer has to be stored at a dark place and preferably in between 6 and 12 degrees. Exposure to higher temperatures for a longer period will change the beer, it will destroy the smoothness of the bubbles and turn bitter, with a sour after taste. Beer Singha is even more sensitive than beer LEO. Here in Hat Yai, I do not drink beer in any bar. But, now and then, I buy me a case of LEO at the whole sale place right of the truck and store it in the fridge immediately. There it does not change. The Thais do not care about the storage of beer, nor they know, how good a fresh beer can taste.

With beer Heineken it is a little different. From its taste, if there is any, I consider Heineken, as some of the TV-members say, as "piss". Heineken is saturated with preservatives and does not turn bad as fast as LEO and beer Singha.

And at the bottom of a sailing ship moving in the Irish- or Northern Sea, there should be no temperature problem.

If you haven't tried Beer Lao Dark, now is the time my friend.

It's a really good, distinctive taste.

Much to my approval..!

Where do we get it in Chiang Mai now? and eh, it's your round. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Macro 1 case a little over 1000 bt. Rimping, by the bottle, 45 bt light 65 bt dark.

Correction : Makro Beer Lao dark 928 Baht for a case - Beer Lao lager about 40 Baht cheaper

amazing how people seem to be able to relate their two bit verdict on Asian attitudes to the brewing of beer....

My verdict? Beer Lao is best sipped at sunset by the Mekong, preferably on the Lao side.

Bravo. I really enjoy watching the sunset in Vientiane with an ice-cold Beer Lao in hand.

• Like 1