Noppadon faces action over Preah Vihear debacle

webfact

POLITICS
Noppadon faces action over Preah Vihear debacle

Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

30211791-01_big.jpg
Noppadon denies allegations.

BANGKOK: -- The top court for holders of political positions yesterday began the process of indicting former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama for misconduct over a memorandum of understanding to support Cambodia's Preah Vihear Temple becoming listed as a World Heritage Site.

Noppadon submitted his account in written form denying the allegations. He was given 60 days to submit more evidence. The former minister has been released on bail of Bt2 million on condition that he does not try to go abroad without written court permission.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission cited Noppadon in 2008 for signing the MoU with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Sok An, supporting that country's proposal to list the Hindu temple as a World Heritage Site. The NACC alleged that the MoU might result in Thailand losing sovereignty of the territory adjacent to Preah Vihear Temple.

Article 190 of the Constitution requires that permission be sought from Parliament before signing any treaty with a foreign country that makes changes to Thai territory. The Constitutional Court in 2008 ruled that the minister violated the charter, as he did not get approval from Parliament first.

However, Noppadon said he still had confidence that his actions at the time were aimed at protecting the territory, rather than losing it.

He said he did not deny signing the document but the Foreign Ministry and many concerned agencies at the time regarded it as a non-binding treaty, and its content made no reference to territorial changes.

"I did not intend to violate the law, but it was not clear what kind of document required parliamentary approval before signing," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-03

He's not to try to go abroad without court permission, as if he would, rich, connected Thais in serious trouble are not noted for fleeing the country !

Will he be put on the Immigration Watch List not that would make much difference ?

Come on you guys take it easy on him.

"I did not intend to violate the law, but it was not clear what kind of document required parliamentary approval before signing," he said.

He was a Foreign Minister, appointed in 2008, by a friend. Why should he know the law, no one else does, and if they do, they do hot give a S*#t. hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 1

He was a Foreign Minister, appointed in 2008, by a friend. Why should he know the law, no one else does, and if they do, they do hot give a S*#t. hit-the-fan.gif alt=hit-the-fan.gif>

Well not as long as he doesn't bother to ask for advice from the

PERMANENT MINISTRY STAFF at his disposal to answer questions about his jobs;

regulations, responsibilities and limitations.

Bottom line it's been obvious he screwed the pooch from either ;

Neglecting to consult them because they are inferiors.

Ignoring the staff telling him his job parameters because they are inferiors.

or

just because he was ordered by the liege lord to do it no matter what they said.

And it's really all OK because nobody was sure what document was appropriate, etc.

Well Mr. Nopadon (with serious study abroad in regard to international law, etc., paid for on a Thai scholarship), it's just plain adult thinking that you don't sign anything, especially in a matter as serious as sovereign territory, if your not sure what document is appropriate.

In fact it's normally classic lawyer stuff to be extremely serious about specific details and appropriateness of strategy and appropriate documentation.

But I guess he expects this to all be OK under the 'just an honest mistake' laws.

• Like 1

Honest guvnor, I was just standing there when this oriental looking geezer came up and asked me to autograph this big sheet of paper, I've got the pen I used here in me hands as evidence for you all to see

• Like 1

This man is a lawyer who worked at the Foreign Office and he didn't understand an official Thai document? He should think himself lucky he doesn't have to negotiate the immigration minefield every year like us poor farang! wink.png

Still, at least when he does plead his case (hopefully for his sake with the legal assistance of someone who does know what they're doing) he can stand up and say with his hand on his heart and honestly say, "I was only following orders."

He was a Foreign Minister, appointed in 2008, by a friend. Why should he know the law, no one else does, and if they do, they do hot give a S*#t. hit-the-fan.gif

Not only was he foreign minister then but he is personal legal adviser to the Sheik of ThaiDubai, PT ... and an attorney, an attorney should know what documents he is signing, pure negligence, if you don't know what kind of document it is, then don't sign it... DOH!facepalm.gif

He's not to try to go abroad without court permission, as if he would, rich, connected Thais in serious trouble are not noted for fleeing the country !

Will he be put on the Immigration Watch List not that would make much difference ?

Is going to Cambodia considered going abroad?whistling.gif

Might as well get it all in one post. The whole thing is worse than two 5 year old's fighting over a toy.

Here is a chance for both countries to act like good nehibors and do a joint effort that would benefit them both.

Thank you Yellow shirts. Has any one heard from them since they got a couple locked up in Cambodia and basically got ignored by Abhist? Yingluck ignored them too so she is not a 100% screw up. But close to it.wai.gif

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1