AIS Fixed broadband

fiberman

I live in the middle of nowhere and a couple of days ago noticed a truck with a CAT sticker and a gang of guys pulling a cable on the electricity posts. I sent the wife over to find out what they were up to and she was told that the cable belonged to AIS and was a new cheap broadband cable. My wife called AIS today and they said yes it would be available in about 2 months (probably Thai months not real months).

My question is has anyone ever heard of AIS fixed broadband. I found a reference to AIS getting into the fixed broadband market but with a start date of 2014?

http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2013/06/28/ais-to-attack-fixed-broadband-market-says-parent/

Well AIS does provide a 'fixed' home internet broadband via their wireless networks (where you have to install some kind of MMDS/satellite at home).

http://www.ais.co.th/airnet/

AIS Airnet is a 5GHz "long distance up to 15km" WiFi system that uses a directional antenna to transmit from the base station to an aerial on your house so they wouldn't need to put a cable in for that. I have been trying to get the TOT Winet installed, they promised us one month and that was 8 months ago!

I guess I will just have to wait a couple of months and see if anything happens. I will find out where the cable terminates and see if they install a distribution box there. The cable does look as though it might be fibre optic, I'll nip up the post one night and cut a bit out of the middle to check.smile.png .

TBH I am actually quite surprised by both Dtac and AIS are so reluctant to enter the wired broadband market as they have fiber optic cables all over the country for their cell networks.

Last mile connection isn't that much of an investment these days with technology like DOCSIS. And I would definitely trust AIS to provide an internet connection more than stupid True or TOT.

I live in the middle of nowhere and a couple of days ago noticed a truck with a CAT sticker and a gang of guys pulling a cable on the electricity posts. I sent the wife over to find out what they were up to and she was told that the cable belonged to AIS and was a new cheap broadband cable.

Suspect this is just new AIS/2100 (AWN) back-haul, but it could be the start of AIS's foray into fixed broadband, via InTouch (Shin Corp.)?

AIS to attack fixed broadband market, says parent
28 Jun 2013
ThailandThailand
The Singapore-backed parent group of Thailand’s mobile market leader Advanced Info Services (AIS) has stated that it intends to ramp up its presence in the Thai fixed broadband market. InTouch (formerly known as Shin Corp) has outlined a five-year strategic plan which involves developing fixed broadband operations alongside AIS’s 3G/4G mobile expansion plans. Executive chairman Somprasong Boonyachai, cited by the Bangkok Post, said the firm will cater to increasing demand for wired broadband over the next five-ten years, and is currently considering the choice of whether to invest in its own high speed fixed access network or rent infrastructure from another operator. ‘A clear investment budget and business plan is expected to be completed this year, with investment beginning in 2014,’ Mr Somprasong stated. TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database says that AIS has an existing presence in the Thai fixed broadband market via joint venture Advanced Datanetwork Communications (ADC, 51% owned by AIS via its DPC unit and 49% owned by state-backed TOT) and wholly-owned subsidiary Super Broadband Network Co, offering high speed internet, corporate data services and IPTV, as well as international direct dial (IDD) services via another 100%owned unit, AIN Globalcomm. ADC operates over copper line and fibre-optic infrastructure and provides a range of ADSL, IP VPN and other data transmission services to more than 800 organisations under the brand name ‘DataNet’, but its ‘Buddy’ branded residential broadband/IPTV venture failed to take off on a large scale. Super Broadband Network Co originally provided wholesale broadband network leasing services but, after receiving new infrastructure and services-based licences in 2007, it expanded its range the following year to include retail ISP services, international and national internet gateway, international private leased circuits (IPLCs), IP VPNs, VoIP and IPTV. Meanwhile, AIS has expanded Wi-Fi public wireless broadband hotspots nationwide through a shared network rollout project with Jasmine International’s fixed broadband subsidiary Triple T Broadband (TTTB).

http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2013/06/28/ais-to-attack-fixed-broadband-market-says-parent/

In Addition to AIS AirNET, 3BB and TOT have similar 2.4/5 GHz pt-pt wireless broadband solutions. TOT Wi-NET seems to get generally positive reviews.

http://www.3bb.co.th/product/product_detail.php?id=2095

http://www.ais.co.th/airnet/th/

https://www.google.com/search?q=tot+wi-NET&oq=tot+wi-NET&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j69i62l3.3555j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=be66d6e0b51b7086&q=tot+wi-NET+site:thaivisa.com

I live in the middle of nowhere and a couple of days ago noticed a truck with a CAT sticker and a gang of guys pulling a cable on the electricity posts. I sent the wife over to find out what they were up to and she was told that the cable belonged to AIS and was a new cheap broadband cable.

Suspect this is just new AIS/2100 (AWN) back-haul, but it could be the start of AIS's foray into fixed broadband, via InTouch (Shin Corp.)?

It could possibly be, the only thing that makes me wonder was that the guy installing the cable said it was a new very cheap broadband. Most likely I would think is that we will get an Airnet connection from our local tower.

Even if AIS decided to start cable broadband it would be at least 5 years before we would see it, this area always seems to be last for everything.

The next village down from us has had TOT broadband for a couple of years but because we are 100m outside the boundary TOT will not give me a connection and say there are no plans to extend it. Fortunately we do have True 3G now, but it is expensive so it would be nice to get something cheaper.