Salary Levels for Degree Qualified People

mallyrd

It is a customer service position, what difference does the degree make? If she was being hired as a HR manager of something similar, the pay would be higher.

Having a degree does not make one more valuable to an employer if they have no need for your area of expertise. Is your step daughter fluent in both English and Thai? If so, I would think she could easily do better.

Paying more allows a company to be more selective on who they hirer, but existing personnel more does not generally result in better performance.

Keep in mind, two years ago, B12K was about twice the minimum wage.

She has a TOEIC (spelling) of 900 which is the maximum.

Will all due respect, exactly how will that benefit the hospital? It doesnt even answer my question for that matter, I didnt ask if she could spell.

Its a job where people sit at a counter and (when they are not too busy playing with their phone) tell the occasional passerby where the restroom is. The word (spelling) was entered after TOIEC because I was not sure if TOIEC was the correct abbreviation not to let you know she could SPELL. Reading your posts I would think my step daughter has a better understanding of the English than you do.

For more than 30 years, the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC®) has been used by institutions, companies, and government agencies worldwide to measure the English proficiency of nonnative English-speaking people. With more than 5 million test takers per year, the TOEIC test is the standard for workplace English language proficiency worldwide.

Thanks, I thought (sp) was the notation used to indicate the author was unsure of spelling. It did not even occur to me that one would spell an acronym wrong.

Still does not answer my original question: Does she speak fluently, both English and Thai?

And I understand how complex this seems, but exactly how does her passing that particular test benefit the hospital?

What part of Mallyrd's explanation do you not understand. While not necessarily fluent in English, she should have the ability to communicate well in English if she has attained the highest score possible as indicated in his post.

In answer to your question to me, I am but a lowly office worker who is at this minute wasting office time.

Edited by GarryP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOEIC scores are used for employee evaluation and the resulting increase in salary all the time, The factories around Rayong do this and employees are very keen to study for the TOIEC test. Some jobs like airlines require minimum score in TOEIC or equivalent

I believe the minimum salary for graduates was increased to 15K 2012. However as long as this is shown for social security payments it dosnt mean the employee will actually receive this amount.

Salaries the past few years seem to have got out of hand. Paying 15K or 20K is OK for a committed employee but so many just want to play Facebook or chat on Whatsup etc and expect the salary at the end of the month.

We have been trying to find staff for over 4 months and its impossible.If they worked hard with commissions would earn upwards of at least 40K a month but they just are not interested in incentives.......questions I have been asked when interviewing..do I get a free iphone, will you pay my phone bill, do I really have to work weekends.......not one question or suggestion about what they could offer the company. Maybe this is how the OPs daughter in law came accross.

I believe that "law" was not enforced or something did happened and it did not go through.

I also do not think you can have 2 sets of minimum wage,, so i think it was more of government guideline rather than a law, but i could be wrong

I believe the minimum salary for graduates was increased to 15K 2012. However as long as this is shown for social security payments it dosnt mean the employee will actually receive this amount.

Salaries the past few years seem to have got out of hand. Paying 15K or 20K is OK for a committed employee but so many just want to play Facebook or chat on Whatsup etc and expect the salary at the end of the month.

We have been trying to find staff for over 4 months and its impossible.If they worked hard with commissions would earn upwards of at least 40K a month but they just are not interested in incentives.......questions I have been asked when interviewing..do I get a free iphone, will you pay my phone bill, do I really have to work weekends.......not one question or suggestion about what they could offer the company. Maybe this is how the OPs daughter in law came accross.

Mate you have got to screen the CVs a little better. You know that you should bin them when they make comments on their CV like "many people have commented that I am attractive".

Most CVs I get are laughable, and universally they ignore the job requirements, particularly "must speak, read and write English". Even when you hire them, they often leave after 4 hours with the lamest excuses that would put bar girl to shame.

One lady I hired absolutely refused to stop surfing the web, right in front of me telling me that she has her own private business to run (on the side) and her previous employee didn't mind. She was gobsmacked when she didn't pass probation and asked for several months severance pay...."How am I supposed to pay the bills??" she says. To top it off she has an appalling lack of hygiene. Ahhh choi and snot all over the desk.

On the bright side she did have a magnificent set of bumpers.

May be we should have a thread of daily life at work in Thailandbiggrin.png , your story is priceless.

I have one to match, in hotel i have a huge fish tank.

One fish jumps out, the new staff looks at the fish wabbling around(dying, gasping for air), then looks at me and says" boss, what should i do?"facepalm.gif

The only words that came to my mind and came out of my mouth, was "Go home, there is nothing you can do"

She could not understand why she was sent home and why she was dismissed.

I believe that "law" was not enforced or something did happened and it did not go through.

I also do not think you can have 2 sets of minimum wage,, so i think it was more of government guideline rather than a law, but i could be wrong

I think the 15K minimum was supposed to be for degreed government workers.

• Like 1

I think the 15K minimum was supposed to be for degreed government workers.

Yeah, i think thats the one, but then i think it was delayed and scrapped.

May be the guru's in the government realized it will cost them more money :) and officials make enough from the daily donations

Mate you have got to screen the CVs a little better. You know that you should bin them when they make comments on their CV like "many people have commented that I am attractive".

Most CVs I get are laughable, and universally they ignore the job requirements, particularly "must speak, read and write English". Even when you hire them, they often leave after 4 hours with the lamest excuses that would put bar girl to shame.

One lady I hired absolutely refused to stop surfing the web, right in front of me telling me that she has her own private business to run (on the side) and her previous employee didn't mind. She was gobsmacked when she didn't pass probation and asked for several months severance pay...."How am I supposed to pay the bills??" she says. To top it off she has an appalling lack of hygiene. Ahhh choi and snot all over the desk.

On the bright side she did have a magnificent set of bumpers.

May be we should have a thread of daily life at work in Thailandbiggrin.png , your story is priceless.

I have one to match, in hotel i have a huge fish tank.

One fish jumps out, the new staff looks at the fish wabbling around(dying, gasping for air), then looks at me and says" boss, what should i do?"facepalm.gif

The only words that came to my mind and came out of my mouth, was "Go home, there is nothing you can do"

She could not understand why she was sent home and why she was dismissed.

You fired someone for not picking a fish up off the floor?

I am just a long term visitor here but really my mind can't get over the low level of skills of staff all over Pattaya. Really in many places staff just don't want to know and if you are a farang they will do anything they can to avoid you.

I would have dismissed the staff member over the fish incident too, I mean really does common sense prevail anymore?

12K a Month a to sit at a reception desk in air con, toilet breaks (many of them), meal breaks (many of them) and very little hard work seems like an easy job to me.

I am just a long term visitor here but really my mind can't get over the low level of skills of staff all over Pattaya. Really in many places staff just don't want to know and if you are a farang they will do anything they can to avoid you.

I would have dismissed the staff member over the fish incident too, I mean really does common sense prevail anymore?

12K a Month a to sit at a reception desk in air con, toilet breaks (many of them), meal breaks (many of them) and very little hard work seems like an easy job to me.

The job does not just involve sitting around all day. Part of the job requirements are that you must attend the wards and talk to the patients to get feed back on their stay, their treatment etc. et al. I believe my step daughter told me that this activity is daily and that she must spend at least 4 hours a day on this activity. This doesen't quite fit in with your opinion which to say the least is moronic.

Edited by mallyrd

The job does not just involve sitting around all day. Part of the job requirements are that you must attend the wards and talk to the patients to get feed back on their stay, their treatment etc. et al. I believe my step daughter told me that this activity is daily and that she must spend at least 4 hours a day on this activity. This doesen't quite fit in with your opinion which to say the least is moronic.

my friend is in customer relations at this hospital

its a very draining job dealing with foreigners in distress

LC, You really can't see a wind up even when it's staring you right in the face can you?

This new fishing rod and reel I bought seems to be working well

You are right, I do not find stupidity and borderline retardness even remotely funny or amusing

• Like 1

I dont have a daughter, however if I did, I would like to think she would have been raised to tell them,

"stick your job up your ass" and walk out the door with her dignity intact and her head held high.

In Bkk go and work on the production line of a factory for more than that, jeez the basic pay for a day labourer is 500 baht per day rising to 700 if skilled and then anywhere up to 3,000 per day for a fully qualifed tradesman.

Quite standard for first time job seekers. Quite tragic.

She is lucky she can get a decent job at a respected company without having to pay for it. I know many people who have had to pay to get their jobs. From ฿1,000 for a cashier job at Tesco to ฿60,000 for a teaching job to ฿100,000 to work in a bank.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I worked 15 years in a Profession contracted to Government part of my position had me Authoring Training Protocols & Management of Projects from the Security / Law Enforcement perspective.

5 years later I obtained my Grad. Diploma in Project Management. Ironically a month before I did my final assessment I was offered a 2 year Contract overseeing a major Government Contract in an ASEAN country. Still considering it.

I personally believe that any Formal education does NOT guarantee starting at a high rate of pay , in fact in Singapore most Diploma & Degree Grads head overseas just to get a job starting at low rates. I speak from first hand knowledge.

Everyone has to prove themselves in any work & their work ethic is a major factor.

Just my 2 cents worth. We all got to start somewhere.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

She is lucky she can get a decent job at a respected company without having to pay for it. I know many people who have had to pay to get their jobs. From ฿1,000 for a cashier job at Tesco to ฿60,000 for a teaching job to ฿100,000 to work in a bank.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's a guarantee, should you do a runner, The cashier and the bank is understandable, but for a teacher?

a thai degree is  worth less the more they pay to get it

Why do you think a Thai degree is worthless? and how do you regard degrees earned from CHULA, THAMASAT, MAHIDOL, KING MOKUT, KASETSART and AIT? all useless?

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

a thai degree is worth less the more they pay to get it

Why do you think a Thai degree is worthless? and how do you regard degrees earned from CHULA, THAMASAT, MAHIDOL, KING MOKUT, KASETSART and AIT? all useless?

I hear companies outside Thailand are falling over themselves to hire people from these universities......

Yeah, but there's also girls who goes to vocational school and get a diploma (Por Vor Sor ป ว ส) and at these school they can stay an extra year and get a proper bachelor's degree. I have staff with these degrees and they ain't worth much, I'd rather hire someone fresh out of hight school (Mor 6)

If a girl from Chula were to lower herself to apply for the same job as the ones with degree from vocational school, they would get the same salary, granted most HR would recognize the prestige and probably not put the girl from Chula in such lowly jobs.

Posted by Thai at Heart:

@Thai at Heart - I hear companies outside Thailand are falling over themselves to hire people from these universities......

I disagree. Chula, Thamasat, Mahidol are some of the better one in this country. They are one of the top universities in Thailand, including AIT and even ABAC and we have at our office many with degrees from those universities. Would appreciate if you can mention some of those companies.

Edited by MobileContent

a thai degree is  worth less the more they pay to get it

I hear companies outside Thailand are falling over themselves to hire people from these universities......

Companies inside Thailand and ASEAN region are surly falling for the graduates from these universities, while most of the Thai students choose to remain and work in their homeland, who cares for the companies outside of Thailand.

I worked 15 years in a Profession contracted to Government part of my position had me Authoring Training Protocols & Management of Projects from the Security / Law Enforcement perspective.

5 years later I obtained my Grad. Diploma in Project Management. Ironically a month before I did my final assessment I was offered a 2 year Contract overseeing a major Government Contract in an ASEAN country. Still considering it.

I personally believe that any Formal education does NOT guarantee starting at a high rate of pay , in fact in Singapore most Diploma & Degree Grads head overseas just to get a job starting at low rates. I speak from first hand knowledge.

Everyone has to prove themselves in any work & their work ethic is a major factor.

Just my 2 cents worth. We all got to start somewhere.

coffee1.gif

Spot on, one needs to prove his/her usefulness before being paid higher salary, not to mention loyalty.

I know when i was straight out of uni, my first job paid before minimum wage, and worked double the hours.

I did it to gain experience and knowledge in real work life not the text books.

My next job paid much better and kept on going up from there.

However with every new company, i always accepted lower salary to prove myself before asking for pay rise.

Now is as probably as good a time as any to post this,

http://www.adecco.co.th/Uploads/Knowledge-Center-Thought-Leadership/Thailand-Salary-Guide/Adecco-Thailand-Salary-Guide-2012.pdf

To the poster who doesnt believe tradesmen earn 3,000 baht per day, take a hike just down the road to you to the O&G industruy, Thais there are earning salaries some farang would envy.

Dont believe me, head to Swampy and see what some of the maintenance staff are on.

For those who can read Thai, salaries for BGs advertised starting from 12/15 k per month.

Last month I was in a hotel, there were 12 vacancies for staff, out and about there were adverts all over the place for staff, pay peanuts you get monkeys, the fish story sums it up.

• Like 1

http://www.adecco.co.th/Uploads/Knowledge-Center-Thought-Leadership/Thailand-Salary-Guide/Adecco-Thailand-Salary-Guide-2012.pdf

To the poster who doesnt believe tradesmen earn 3,000 baht per day, take a hike just down the road to you to the O&G industruy, Thais there are earning salaries some farang would envy.

Dont believe me, head to Swampy and see what some of the maintenance staff are on.

For those who can read Thai, salaries for BGs advertised starting from 12/15 k per month.

Last month I was in a hotel, there were 12 vacancies for staff, out and about there were adverts all over the place for staff, pay peanuts you get monkeys, the fish story sums it up

Edited by mallyrd

Last month I was in a hotel, there were 12 vacancies for staff, out and about there were adverts all over the place for staff, pay peanuts you get monkeys, the fish story sums it up.

Very true, even for low-skilled job, I have a young Thai friends who fresh out of university who managed to bag a job at swampy driving trucks filling planes with fuel, the salary was 30K and they are paying 7-9 months bonus on top of that even.

And for factories worker, the employers have have to entice them to work with private health insurance on top of the bonuses as well.

With unemployment lower than 1% jobs like retail/service at minimum wage is not attractive anymore

Posted by Thai at Heart:

@Thai at Heart - I hear companies outside Thailand are falling over themselves to hire people from these universities......

I disagree. Chula, Thamasat, Mahidol are some of the better one in this country. They are one of the top universities in Thailand, including AIT and even ABAC and we have at our office many with degrees from those universities. Would appreciate if you can mention some of those companies.

"falling over themselves"

I don't think it means what you think it means

reading comprehension much?

Very true, even for low-skilled job, I have a young Thai friends who fresh out of university who managed to bag a job at swampy driving trucks filling planes with fuel, the salary was 30K and they are paying 7-9 months bonus on top of that even.

And for factories worker, the employers have have to entice them to work with private health insurance on top of the bonuses as well.

With unemployment lower than 1% jobs like retail/service at minimum wage is not attractive anymore

Is this luck, or are these jobs readily accessible to the avg qualified candidate?

In the usa, there were always those jobs that people were getting a ridiculous salary for the work accomplished; particularly some union jobs. Some of the larger plantations can afford those payouts....and by all means if you can get one grab it up and milk it while you can. But eventually the bubble bursts.

From a salary perspective, nearly everybody wants to start at the top or in the comfortable middle somewhere. But its where you finish or how you play the game. Humble beginnings are just fine.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

I have worked with people with degrees, some were good and others I would not pay with peanuts, one thing I noticed many never stayed in the job long, particularly the not so good ones who were just know-it-alls who did not, many of them worked in the companies HR department, funny how they were keen to employ those with a lot of experience with 7 or jobs on their CV and only been out of Uni 5 years or less.

I work in the O&G industry on the Eastern Seaboard as a Contracts Manager and I can assure you that it is impossible for any tradesmen to earn 3,000 baht a day. The highest paid tradesmen are welders who can be classed as structural steel welders in fabrications shops, structural steel welders at the erection sites (module erection), mild steel pipe welders and stainless steel pipe welders. The highest rate of pay is generally stainless steel welders but on average the hourly rate is around 80 baht an hour. Even if one were to apply a rate of 100 baht an hour this gives 800 baht for an 8 hour day, add on a couple of hours a day overtime at 1.5 then you still only get to around 1,100 baht a day. A far cry from your quoted 3,000 baht a day which is impossible to achieve under any circumstances.