Oil leak: Rayong fishermen refuse to accept Bt1,000 per day in compensation

webfact

Rayong fishermen refuse to accept Bt1,000 per day in compensation
JUMPOL NIKOMRAK,
PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI
THE NATION

30212248-01_big.JPG

RAYONG: -- FISHERMEN IN Rayong are getting ready to fight against the Bt1,000 daily compensation proposed to make up for the loss of income caused by the recent oil leak.

Their livelihoods were affected when some 50,000 litres of crude oil leaked from a PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC) offshore pipeline on July 27. There are about 800 small trawlers in Rayong.

"We believe the compensation should be calculated based on our real average daily income," Rayong Small Fishing Trawler Association president |Jaturas Iamworanirun said at a meeting yesterday, which was attended by about 1,000 fishermen.

At the meeting, the participants were given a form, reportedly prepared by Chulalongkorn University, in which they were asked to specify the amount of squid, shrimp, fish and clams they could catch every day on average. "These forms will provide the information," Jaturas said.

Earlier, the Rayong provincial government asked those affected to come forward and claim compensation. However, Jaturas said, the authorities seemed to be prepared to pay just Bt1,000 in daily compensation for a period of 30 days.

"We can't accept that," Jaturas said.

He said that once the real average income was calculated, his association would submit the information to Rayong Governor Wichit Chatphaisit, PTTGC and the National Human Rights Commission to push for fair compensation.

Separately, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday that it was clear the leakage could not be blamed on natural causes. "We are going to determine the exact cause. It's possible that somebody's recklessness led to the leak," he said.

He said DSI investigators would also need to rely on information gathered by the PTT fact-finding committee. PTTGC is a unit of PTT.

Although the DSI has not yet taken this up as a special case, it has asked 14 relevant agencies to provide information. These agencies include PTTGC, the Pollution Control Department and the Marine Department.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-09

What an absolute insult and a slap in the face with the back of a shovel. PTT is worth billions, did very little to clean up the mess (Volunteers worked hard) and offering a pissy 1K baht per day compensation around 6K in total. Drop a couple of shackles at the feet of the peasants and everything evaporates and never happened.

Why isn't Yingluck's Natural Resources Minister stepping to insure that adequate compensation is paid to the hard-working masses that elected them?

What an absolute insult and a slap in the face with the back of a shovel. PTT is worth billions, did very little to clean up the mess (Volunteers worked hard) and offering a pissy 1K baht per day compensation around 6K in total. Drop a couple of shackles at the feet of the peasants and everything evaporates and never happened.

Why isn't Yingluck's Natural Resources Minister stepping to insure that adequate compensation is paid to the hard-working masses that elected them?

Too many vested interests in play. How many in government, politicians in general, VIPs etc are shareholders ? Politicians of course will not be but Dolly the family carabao will hold a large stake.

• Like 2

Separately, Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday that it was clear the leakage could not be blamed on natural causes. "We are going to determine the exact cause. It's possible that somebody's recklessness led to the leak," he said.

He said DSI investigators would also need to rely on information gathered by the PTT fact-finding committee. PTTGC is a unit of PTT.

Well in other words it lioks like this:

DSI: "Hey, PTT, are you gonna tell the people who was responsible?"

PTT fact finding committee: "No."

DSI: "Are you gonna cheat us?"

DSI: "Are you gonna cheat the dear people of Rayong?"

DSI: "Are you telling us the truth?"

PTT fact finding committee: "Yes."

DSI: "And you are not lying to us?"

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

"We believe the compensation should be calculated based on our real average daily income,"

No problem. Show us your tax returns supporting what you claim your 'real average daily income' is...

Yes I know I'm being twattish. It's just my distaste of people who take advantage of these situations (and I'm not suggesting that's necessarily the case) as much as I despise the people who caused them in the first place...

You think 1000 baht is good compensation? Do you think that gets remotely close to estimating current and future damage? Do you think that the 1000 baht shows that PTT is acting in good faith?

• Like 1

"We believe the compensation should be calculated based on our real average daily income,"

No problem. Show us your tax returns supporting what you claim your 'real average daily income' is...

Yes I know I'm being twattish. It's just my distaste of people who take advantage of these situations (and I'm not suggesting that's necessarily the case) as much as I despise the people who caused them in the first place...

You think 1000 baht is good compensation? Do you think that gets remotely close to estimating current and future damage? Do you think that the 1000 baht shows that PTT is acting in good faith?

I have no idea if 1,000 baht is good compensation or not but that's far removed from my point. Whether they were making 100 baht or 10,000 baht a day that's what they should receive. No more, no less, is the point.

• Like 2

I have no idea if 1,000 baht is good compensation or not but that's far removed from my point. Whether they were making 100 baht or 10,000 baht a day that's what they should receive. No more, no less, is the point.

And nothing for damages?

• Like 1

"At the meeting, the participants were given a form, reportedly prepared by Chulalongkorn University, in which they were asked to specify the amount of squid, shrimp, fish and clams they could catch every day on average. "These forms will provide the information,..."

Unfortunately, neither side is to be trusted. PTTGC insults the fishermen with a paltry compensation, but, I am sure the fishermen are overestimating their catch. I suppose when you are forced to decide between two crooks, you support "Our Crook".wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

Too many vested interests in play. How many in government, politicians in general, VIPs etc are shareholders ? Politicians of course will not be but Dolly the family carabao will hold a large stake.

Yingluck proved yesterday she only cares about big business, huge profits and a few high value bills that can mean more food in the trough.

When it comes to the little hard working people .... bugger off is the attitude

• Like 2

Oh YES, I just L O V E this one OK. Of course they should produce prove of income. This is the one sensible comment I can really agree with. Well said my man.

So TAH, how much does a fisherman make?

And where does good faith enter into this? This is about compensation and not about good faith.

Yingluck proved yesterday she only cares about big business, huge profits and a few high value bills that can mean more food in the trough.

When it comes to the little hard working people .... bugger off is the attitude

This was of such concern to YL that she didn't even visit the area. Too busy getting the lunch boxes ready for the piss up on the train ?

1000 a day for going nothing does not sound too bad, people get greedy when big corporations are concerned.

Thais are a greedy nation in general

I live in a rented house with some very productive mango trees in the garden. Every year my landlord and wife come to get the green mangoes knowing i don't like them but they always give or leave the yellow for me.

Recently the wife visited with a friend and this lady asked if she could get some mangoes and promptly picked every yellow one she could find, I asked quite nicely if she would leave some for me and she promptly threw the bag on the ground and stormed off. Even the landlady was embarrassed and the landlord, an army officer, called to apologise. That sort of behaviour defies description.

Un-SMFFFFFH-believable!!!!!!!! facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif And Thais are setting a perfect example for their offspring...

• Like 1

A thousand baht a day does not even cover the fuel charges for the boat. Which ironically they probably buy from PTT anyway. A company that made 650,000 Million last year should be made to pay for their mistakes. The fisherman's reputation and livelyhood has been stained even if they have cleaned up the sea. The value of their catch goes down so they have to catch more and more. Also affecting the sustainability of the fishing industry in Rayong. PTT should have to pay more damages and for a longer period than 30 days. It's a clear case of trying to shirk responsibility and the power of the big company versus the ordinary man. Not to mention that the politicians having a vested interest in PTT rather than protecting the people they represent.

• Like 2

A thousand baht a day does not even cover the fuel charges for the boat. Which ironically they probably buy from PTT anyway. A company that made 650,000 Million last year should be made to pay for their mistakes. The fisherman's reputation and livelyhood has been stained even if they have cleaned up the sea. The value of their catch goes down so they have to catch more and more. Also affecting the sustainability of the fishing industry in Rayong. PTT should have to pay more damages and for a longer period than 30 days. It's a clear case of trying to shirk responsibility and the power of the big company versus the ordinary man. Not to mention that the politicians having a vested interest in PTT rather than protecting the people they represent.

'The people they represent' ???? I wonder who owns the boats ??? individual fishermen who live in shacks near the sea ????

the persons who will lose out are the men/boys who work for the boat people.

This is a similar situ to the rice money---no local person got anything from this rice cock-up....and so the same here --all those who are crying are those who own many boats.

PTT will not throw away money that can be banked by the shareholders.

• Like 1

'The authorities seemed to be prepared to pay just Bt1,000 in daily compensation for a period of 30 days'

So that's 30,000 baht per person. Seems pretty good to me, paid holiday, take the money and move on.

So show us your tax returns....what !? You don't have any ? You don't pay tax ? Give us 20 years of back tax plus interest, then we will talk about giving you more compensation...

As for future, I agree PTT should pay more, but that money should be used to take care of the environment.

'The authorities seemed to be prepared to pay just Bt1,000 in daily compensation for a period of 30 days'

So that's 30,000 baht per person. Seems pretty good to me, paid holiday, take the money and move on.

So show us your tax returns....what !? You don't have any ? You don't pay tax ? Give us 20 years of back tax plus interest, then we will talk about giving you more compensation...

As for future, I agree PTT should pay more, but that money should be used to take care of the environment.

The sale of agricultural produce is VAT exempt in Thailand. Thus, rarely if ever declared on a taxeable report. Just another convenient way for middle men to wash cash and the such. However, presumably, they have some records scrawled on the back of a fag pack, concerning their daily take of which types of fish, and another piece of paper showing how much cash the buyer gave them.

At the end of the day, 1000 baht is I reckon extremely low.

1000 a day for going nothing does not sound too bad, people get greedy when big corporations are concerned.

Thais are a greedy nation in general

I live in a rented house with some very productive mango trees in the garden. Every year my landlord and wife come to get the green mangoes knowing i don't like them but they always give or leave the yellow for me.

Recently the wife visited with a friend and this lady asked if she could get some mangoes and promptly picked every yellow one she could find, I asked quite nicely if she would leave some for me and she promptly threw the bag on the ground and stormed off. Even the landlady was embarrassed and the landlord, an army officer, called to apologise. That sort of behaviour defies description.

we also had ponces wanting free mangos,bananas and coconuts,they were welcome to them,alas my 45 kilo pitbull seemed to put them off,and i was buggered if i was shimying up to get them,the local orphange did well though,the dog loved playing catch with the little tykes.happy days,sorry off topic,i thought i,d share a good news storybiggrin.png

• Like 1