Visa Run Via Nakon Phanom

Hi,

I've just got a cheap flight with Air Asia,return from Bangkok to Nakon Phanom for 1300bht aprox,cheap fare for early september,perfect for my visa run to Savanakhet,

I've never been to Nakhon Phanom before so I have 2 questions.

1- when I arrive there at midday whats the best way to get to Mucktahan or the friendship bridge.and

2-for when I return I need a cheap hotel near the airport.

Grateful for any help

Sp hotel 450b free Wi-Fi, clean and new.

Downtown main road nakhon phanom

Take bus at 6 or 7 am to mukdahan. You can stand near the mekong(400 m from Sp hotel) until bus come.

6 am is better. Believe me . stay 1 night in nakhon after flight as immigration close at 11 am anyway.

Edited by Cheapcharly

They will have a bus shuttle in the terminal.

100 bahts last time I was there. Tell to driver you go to Sp hotel. Best hotel around unless you want stay along the mekong, there are 2 hotels little bit south of the town. cost more and no free Wi-Fi.

Around 15km to downtown.

Take their business card, they will take you from your lobby to airport on your return.

post-178415-13764669876326_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cheapcharly

14-passenger air-con vans leave from the bus station every 30 minutes in the morning and every 40 minutes after lunch. You can also board at the bus stop in front of the 7-11 across from the fresh market, but you must flag the bus down. Service commences at 5:30 am and stops at 5:30 pm. 80 baht. The vans do not have special areas for baggage, so if you have a lot of luggage, take a full-size bus going toward Ubon Ratchathani and get out at the Mukdahan bus station.

Thanks guys,

I think what I'll do is get the shuttle bus bus into town when I arrive at 1.30pm

then try to get a big bus to mucktahan,the minibusses are to dangerous for me.

Then when I'm coming back I will come a day early and stay at Sp hotel and have them deliver me to the airport

the next day.

It's great to know this and not to have to come out of the airport and be at the mercy of the taxi drivers.

Last 2 questions,does the shuttle bus from the airport go to the bus station and are there any nice bars in town.

Thanks again

If you leave hotel at 545am, you can catch bus along the mekong at around 6 am or 0610.waive all bus and ask for mukdahan.

To save time leave bus near the friend ship bridge, and cross bridge by hitchhiking. It worked for me. If not take the bus. Then get a tuk tuk to thai embassy.

If you leave nakhon at 7 am,. You can reach embassy at 1045, but you need to be fast at the lao immigration. If you need more than 1 hour to cross the bridge, you will be late(passport drop closed at 11am) and will need to stay 2 nights in savanakhet. For first time, I advise to leave at 6am.

You will get your visa next day at 2pm.

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I have decided to try out the border crossing at the Friendship Bridge 3, 10 kilometers north of Nakhon Phanom. We just want to see something different, as we routinely cross over at Nong Khai. We do not mind the longer trip, and will be staying overnght (hopefully on the Lao, Tha Lek side).

Can we park our vehicle near the bridge and take a bus over, same as we do at Nong Khai? Or.do we need to get on the bus in Nakhon Phanom? It is 10 kilometers. Also, what are the hours of operation for immigration at the border? I know I need US dollars, passport, and photos for a Visa on Arrival....but are there any other surprises lately? If there will be potential problems, we will just do the Nong Khai border instead.

Hoping for the latest info.....I read some posts regarding this subject, but just checking.

I have been there twice. And didn't have any problem at all.

Even when waiting for bus, a lao policeman came to me and we chat about immigration procedures, there are not many people there. He told me it's all ridiculous, just a way to rack money from tourists.

He told me the guys in the bunks are police. It s the police who check your passport and they make shit money.

I think you can park your car there. Not sure.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

If you leave hotel at 545am, you can catch bus along the mekong at around 6 am or 0610.waive all bus and ask for mukdahan.

To save time leave bus near the friend ship bridge, and cross bridge by hitchhiking. It worked for me. If not take the bus. Then get a tuk tuk to thai embassy.

If you leave nakhon at 7 am,. You can reach embassy at 1045, but you need to be fast at the lao immigration. If you need more than 1 hour to cross the bridge, you will be late(passport drop closed at 11am) and will need to stay 2 nights in savanakhet. For first time, I advise to leave at 6am.

You will get your visa next day at 2pm.

Hi, I'll get to Sakhon Phanom at 16.20, is there any way to go directly to Savannakhet by bus right away?

You can get a bus to the bridge in Mukdahan. Then take the bus into Savannakhet from there.

If you are flying on Nok Air or Air Asia they both have flay/ride service to to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom.

• Like 1