Shipping a motorcycle in Thailand?

buck99

Yep, the PO have done one for my missus, no problems. Take off the mirrors and get plenty of cardboard, bubble wrap and gaffer tape to cover as much as you can to prevent damage. The PO will have a go at covering the lights etc for you, but if you want a job done well, do it yourself.

• Like 1

The Post Office?? Really? I would have never guessed that route. Thank you very much. I will check it out.

You'll probably have to find their depot, as opposed to the local PO for letters etc. Where are you? The Pattaya one is on Suk heading south, about 3 klm's south of Jomtien from memory.

It runs about 2200 baht for a 150cc. BKK to CNX

There is also an express and insurance option..

You can put it on the train from Bkk to Chiang Mai for about 750 baht. It is advisable to be on the same train though.

• Like 1

I used a train is a few times.

If your traveling, put your motorcycle on the train. When you arrive, get your bike, and your to rock and roll. Easy!

For 115cc scooter, it cost me about 900 baht. One way between Chiang Mai and BKK. I think a little higher depending on higher cc bikes.

I think about 700 baht from Korat to BKK.

I also shipped my scooter before on bus from Chiang Mai to Korat for about 1200. ...but only a couple companies ship scooters.

Shipped three bikes through the PO in Patttaya. The main PO, the one we used, is at the first stoplight heading north on Sukhumwit past Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. The stoplight is just past an overhead pedestrian walkway. Turn left at this light and go down about 1.5km. The PO is on this road on your left. It's just past a big open air multi-vendor restaurant, market type complex where there is a large metal roof over the whole place, but no walls and lots of places to eat.

• Like 1

The Post Office?? Really? I would have never guessed that route. Thank you very much. I will check it out.

Easy done, sent my 400cc Honda Sport bike from the Post office in Patong to the Udon Thani city Post office.

Its a ccm and weight thing, paid 3.500.- Baht,

BUT I was warned by a fellow member here on Thaivisa with his Posting and made an insurance for 40.000 Baht damage possibility.

AND, it happened, shall happen often! They let the bike fall down somewhere, damaged it. I got all paid, they had been generous at the Udon Post office!

SO. make the insurance! Only, 380.- Baht it was ! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It would ease my pain on going to vientienne for visa for sure,

i cant stand the greedy taxi drivers there.

Whats the cost of bringing over a bike into Laos for a few days ?

i really dont mind spending a few thousand baht extra as long as its for a good cause,

like denying the taxi mafia any money

Edited by poanoi
  • Haha 1

It would ease my pain on going to vientienne for visa for sure,

i cant stand the greedy taxi drivers there.

Whats the cost of bringing over a bike into Laos for a few days ?

i really dont mind spending a few thousand baht extra as long as its for a good cause,

like denying the taxi mafia any money

It's a fairly comprehensive process bringing motorcycles in and out of Thailand. Definitely not worth it for a few day Visa run.

• Like 1

Seconded!!

Ninja 650 Bangkok - Chiang Mai 10hrs coffee1.gif

Fuel... 1,500 ish

Get up early....

Strap on a bag...

Ride it!!

Enjoy it!!

Oh... avoid highway 11 because the corrugated concrete vibrates your bits to pieces cheesy.gif

Hmm....

PO queue / packing / hassle at both ends might take 4 hrs? plus the cost of postage and transport to/from the PO without your bike.

Cost / time of getting your good self to Chiang Mai... a lot!

PS... If travelling with your partner... send them on the bus with your bags clap2.gif

• Haha 1

My experience was not so good when using a transport company.

They stack bikes upright to save space , as a result engine gets flooded with oil and creates a number of problems

Having read your post a few times, I can only assume your bike was loaded with the front wheel up in the air. How on earth did they manage to avoid any damage ? Was the bike crated ? Whatever, I think you ought to name and shame this freight forwarder / carrier because I for one would not like them to handle any bike of mine.

My experience was not so good when using a transport company.

They stack bikes upright to save space , as a result engine gets flooded with oil and creates a number of problems

Having read your post a few times, I can only assume your bike was loaded with the front wheel up in the air. How on earth did they manage to avoid any damage ? Was the bike crated ? Whatever, I think you ought to name and shame this freight forwarder / carrier because I for one would not like them to handle any bike of mine.

That is correct it was front wheel up, they had what appeared to be racks for it, no crates, but truck full of bikes only.

I too have used the Thailand Post Office and the experience left me amazed. I sold a classic bike to someone in Bangkok. I delivered the bike to our local main post office in Prakhon Chai on a friday afternoon. Using the tracking number I followed the bikes progress. First it showed the bike as being received at Prakhon Chai. Pick up was recorded early friday evening. Next stop Korat ( where maybe it was trans-shipped onto another vehicle ). Early hours of saturday morning it was at Laksi sorting office in Bangkok. A couple of hours later, it was recorded at the buyers local post office and by 09:30 am on the saturday morning, it was at the delivery address. What a great service. Unlike most other services in this country, the Post Office deserve the accolade of being truly amazing.....and no damage.

• Thanks 1

I, too, can endorse sending a bike by Thai post. But I would add one special tip that no one else has mentioned in the tips above. Take the rego plate and tax sticker off the bike and send them seperately via EMS. Or carry them with you if appropriate. Then just wrap the bike a little as described above and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info guys. Is it possible to bring my ATV on the Train with me?

Slightly off the subject but does anyone know if I can bring a bunch of my household items on the train also? Say about 6 large boxes/big strong plastic bags worth of stuff along on the train? Seems like the cheapest way to go!.

Thanks.

PS I have an old car I don't want to drive from Khao Lak to Chonburi it needs some work lol. Any suggestions on how to get it there without driving it ?

Yesterday I shipped my 300 SYM from Kho Samui to Pattaya by the Post Office. I was at the Pao at 830 AM when it opened and was finished in 45 min. The shipping was 4,200. and the insurance was 1000 baht. Very easy. I gave the man an extra 500 the wrap it well for shipping. They had many different sizes of boxes to ship other item if needed-some very big. I think they will ship anything. They said one week to arrive in Pattaya.

• Like 1