get debit card for online purchase. how ?

When i walk into a bank and ask to open an account that i can use for buying on internet,

i get a blank stare.

Last time they said Ok here ya go, but as it turned out, that card cant be used for online purchases.

So now at the end of my strength, i humbly ask,

how can i get it in thailand ?

what should i ask for ?

where should i ask for it ?

More specifically i want a debit bank account, so if i want to buy something for 4000, i put in 5000,

and all i can lose is 5000, i wont somehow get an outstanding debt

Edited by poanoi

Hmm, i opened it in bangkok bank, i think its called 'Be1st'.

So i activate it in an ATM machine ?

Never done it, do you remember some of the procedures or questions in the machine ?

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Hmm, i opened it in bangkok bank, i think its called 'Be1st'.

So i activate it in an ATM machine ?

Never done it, do you remember some of the procedures or questions in the machine ?

Sorry don't know how to do it at Bangkok Bank.

I use Kasikorn.

All banks offer a debit card with a visa or MasterCard symbol. All you need to do is have them activate it for online purchasing. I use mine in the App Store for Apple and google as well as many other foreign web sites. I use K Bank if interested!

Edited by mooris7

Think you'll need to ask to open a current account rather than a savings account

I think a deposit of 10,000 baht or there abouts is required to open a current account

Saving accounts just come with the ATM card that can only be used to withdraw via ATM's

Current accounts come with a visa / debit card with your name stamped and printed into it / so can be used online like any UK/US visa debit card you may have

A card needs to be a personally stamped and verified of said holder to be able to be used online I think

Ok, i went to this site to activate it

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/BualuangiPay/Pages/default.aspx

its an automatic answering machine but after a while i get stuck, i cant hear what they are asking for,

nor do i know what they want.

Is there any bangkok bank office in pattaya with personal service and if so, where ?

Edited by poanoi

Not sure what I have except that it 'used' to be a Siam City bank ATM card--and then they got taken over by Thanachart bank and I use the same ATM card but it works as a Debit card for purchases in any shop using a swipe machine--unlike my 12 year old SCB bank card which only works in ATMs.--still cant use for online shopping though, I don't think. I use a foreign one for that.

Kasikorn do a virtual credit card for internet transactions. It's controlled via the internet banking.. when you open a kasikorn account just ask for it at the same time.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Yes I have that since long time ago.

Now you also can activate your debit card for online at an ATM.

Comes in handy when you must provide a physical card at airline check-in.

All banks offer a debit card with a visa or MasterCard symbol. All you need to do is have them activate it for online purchasing. I use mine in the App Store for Apple and google as well as many other foreign web sites. I use K Bank if interested!

Not all banks allow this SCB for example.

May not work with some international transactions in any case. Least that's what I have found. Singapore airlines will not accept my Bangkok Bank debit card.

Huh? I have used my Bangkok Bank debit card (Be1st) to book Singapore Air, and Singapore Hotels.

May not work with some international transactions in any case. Least that's what I have found. Singapore airlines will not accept my Bangkok Bank debit card.

Huh? I have used my Bangkok Bank debit card (Be1st) to book Singapore Air, and Singapore Hotels.

What did you have to do to make the Be1st work on internet ?

Think you'll need to ask to open a current account rather than a savings account

I think a deposit of 10,000 baht or there abouts is required to open a current account

Saving accounts just come with the ATM card that can only be used to withdraw via ATM's

Current accounts come with a visa / debit card with your name stamped and printed into it / so can be used online like any UK/US visa debit card you may have

A card needs to be a personally stamped and verified of said holder to be able to be used online I think

My Bangkok Bank debit card is against my savings account. The card is also useable online.

No name imprinted on my card, although it does say valued member tongue.png , however I did have to sign the back of the card.

What's with all this 'I think', 'I heard', 'I read somewhere' BS. If you don't have first hand experience, then let those who do speak up.

I got my card over 5 years ago, so it is possible that some rules have changed.

Best advice for the OP is to go to the bank and tell them you want to get an account with a debit/ATM card. After you get the card, you will have to activate it for online use. As I remember, you can do this over the phone, as well as setting up withdrawl limits for the ATM and (separately) debit transactions.

What did you have to do to make the Be1st work on internet ?

It's been a few years since I did this, but there is a phone number you can call to activate the card as well as setup/change ATM and debit transaction limits.

You can probably do it over the internet now, if you have an online account (have not looked into that yet). As others have stated, you can also activate the card at an ATM.

Well according to the phone service, i did activate it, and i think it will expire in a week. But i still cant use this on internet

You need to tell us what you are doing how can you make up your own digit number's. The B1st card has 16 numbers stamped on the front also the expiry date and on the back you place your signature and next to that is a 3 number code like757.

If you are having so much trouble walk into the bank and it's sorted in 1 second.

This mess makes me regret i moved here in the first instance,

i went to the ATM to hassle on with this, got a confirmation and told to go to

www.bangkokbank.com/ibanking to finish,

and when i did that, i got reply:

"sorry, you already have a buangluang ibanking profile, etc"

Edited by poanoi

This mess makes me regret i moved here in the first instance,

i went to the ATM to hassle on with this, got a confirmation and told to go to

www.bangkokbank.com/ibanking to finish,

and when i did that, i got reply:

"sorry, you already have a buangluang ibanking profile, etc"

As I said walk into a bank branch, ATM machines can't talk and you seem so confused. You need help from a person. So wait for the bank to open to-morrow at 0830 and if you can be bothered it will be done.