Possible to visit Thailand each month on a visa not required basis ?

A friend is looking at the possibility of domiciling himself in Cambodia but visiting family in Thailand every month.

He would use a land border crossing and would stay for 7 - 14 days each month.

He would never use VNR 'back to back' and would never stay more than 40 days in any given 90 day period (not sure of the relevance of that, just trying to paint the picture)

His objective is to avoid having a business visa in Cambodia AND an extension in Thailand.

Anybody come across this before ?

Thanks.

No reason that wouldn't work.

What is VNR?

They did away with counting days in any given period.

If he's going to stay on the schedule you posted, he doesn't need an extension here. If he does use one, he'll need a multiple re-entry permit.

I thought a business visa for Cambodia is fairly easy to get.

No reason that wouldn't work.

What is VNR?

They did away with counting days in any given period.

If he's going to stay on the schedule you posted, he doesn't need an extension here. If he does use one, he'll need a multiple re-entry permit.

I thought a business visa for Cambodia is fairly easy to get.

Sorry, VNR = "Visa Not Required" i.e. the 30 day (air) and 15 day (land) exemptions.

Business visa is very easy to get in cambodia - far easier than a visa and extension for Thailand. This is one of the driving factoes.

I have looked on the immigration website and I can see no apparent limitation on the number of Visa Not Required entries.

Anybody know otherwise because I am sure the Thai authorities would have some benchmark for what they would consider 'abuse of the system'.

I have traveled in and out of Thailand monthly for the past five years.

By air obtaining just the entry stamp at the airport each time without any problems at all suits me fine as I work month on month off, if a bit longer off I just get the 7 day extension at Phuket town Immigration.

On my next visit I am planning to get Residence Certification and then a Thai Drivers license as well.

Will I be able to get these documents with just an entry stamp?

If not what visa do I require to get these documents?

On my next visit I am planning to get Residence Certification and then a Thai Drivers license as well.

you need be on a non immigrant visa to get a drivers license as far as i know

as to the op; get a Ordinary visa ( business visa) $25, your first trip to Cambodian than extend it the next week for a year ( multiple entries ) $280 or so Otherwise he will need get a Cambodian tourist visa ( $20 ) each time 1 1/2 pages /entry, exit. Keep in mind, some borders its 1,000 baht

and come an go to Thailand as u please by road ( 15 days each trip ) or fly 30 days.

as long as ur not using them back to back cant ever see it being a problem.

you need be on a non immigrant visa to get a drivers license as far as i know

as to the op; get a Ordinary visa ( business visa) $25, your first trip to Cambodian than extend it the next week for a year ( multiple entries ) $280 or so Otherwise he will need get a Cambodian tourist visa ( $20 ) each time 1 1/2 pages /entry, exit. Keep in mind, some borders its 1,000 baht

and come an go to Thailand as u please by road ( 15 days each trip ) or fly 30 days.

as long as ur not using them back to back cant ever see it being a problem.

That all sounds very odd !

Best wait for the experts.

If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Thanks for the info.....

So how can a normal 2 week tourist be a legal driver on Thai roads ?

Surely all tourist comming to Thailand wanting to drive a car or a motorbike are not applying for a

valid Non-Immigrant Visa and expected to carry a Thai drivers licence correct?

Hmmm I have in the past been stopped on a motor bike (red light in Pattaya) and used my valid home country license was accepted by the police officer but if in a more serious (insurance) situation may be a diferant story....TIT Thailand I'm afraid...

If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Thanks for the info.....

So how can a normal 2 week tourist be a legal driver on Thai roads ?

Surely all tourist comming to Thailand wanting to drive a car or a motorbike are not applying for a

valid Non-Immigrant Visa and expected to carry a Thai drivers licence correct?

Hmmm I have in the past been stopped on a motor bike (red light in Pattaya) and used my valid home country license was accepted by the police officer but if in a more serious (insurance) situation may be a diferant story....TIT Thailand I'm afraid...

I believe that you need an International Drivers Permit, issued by the likes of RAC/AA in the UK.

ANYTHING else and you will be liable to a penalty from the BiB.

Bought one once, in my early days, and it was worth the 7 Quid just to see the officers face drop, as he waved me on, when I produced it,