Close Aerial View of last night's Wua Lai (Silverstreet) night market

rcpilot

Pretty cool video--a little bit brief and the focus seemed a little shaky, at least when blown up onto full screen anyway--but, I like the idea and am sure that you will get some amazing videos--I have actually subscribed to your Tube account just to see what you produce.

I, too, am keen to know how much the rig cost?

Thanks to all for your reactions and likes, especially dru2 for your info about the history of the area and the silversmiths, very interesting.

To samsara and haybilly.

About the setup, I don't know exactly but I would say around 50000 thb.

The point is that there also is a learning curve. I lost one here and another one there, including a multicopter deciding to start a new life as a submarine, taking a quite expensive camera with it down into the deep as well. That is what makes it a bit more expensive.

Soon I will publish another one I shot at Wat Jet Yot (if the mods allow me).

Thanks to all for your reactions and likes, especially dru2 for your info about the history of the area and the silversmiths, very interesting.
To samsara and haybilly.
About the setup, I don't know exactly but I would say around 50000 thb.
The point is that there also is a learning curve. I lost one here and another one there, including a multicopter deciding to start a new life as a submarine, taking a quite expensive camera with it down into the deep as well. That is what makes it a bit more expensive.

And I will publish an accompanying piece on Wat Jet Yod if and when you do. Must take a lot of skill to handle a video on a multicopter... impressive. Thank you! I have been writing and researching on places like this for years, without ever seeing them from the air.

• Like 1

Next time you go to the airport, take a look at some of the support pillars outside and in. The silver-work ( aluminum ) was done by one local lady ( maybe her gang ) who works at temple Srisuphan. Nice to see these artists work being promoted around the city. I contracted a piece from her last year and it's beautiful.

Great camera work by the way.

Edited by cgjtt

Thanks for that info 'cjgtt'--I spotted the silver repousse work on the pillars on our return a while back--and remarked to my daughter that were newly added and really cool [ she took as much notice as an eleven year old should!] and now you inform us of the artisan--thanks.

PS --a cool partnership is developing between the aerial rc pilot's work and Dru's responses--very nice.

Edited by haybilly

In any event I think that idea of aerial photography by the re copter and dru 2 write up is a good combination ..... the two o;f you should get together and do a little e book...... the write up on a specific point of interest and then a link to the photography of the area.

• Like 1

Ever since I saw the multi-copter videos I really want one. The cheapest I've seen is $595.00 USD and I don't think that came with the RC controller. I've seen controllers that can operate from an Android phone or tablet. Always enjoy <envy> your videos.

BTW - what is the flight time on one battery charge? I assume that is a Hero GoPro camera being used?

And I will publish an accompanying piece on Wat Jet Yod if and when you do. Must take a lot of skill to handle a video on a multicopter... impressive. Thank you! I have been writing and researching on places like this for years, without ever seeing them from the air.

Interesting dru2, I pm'ed you.

In a minute I will publish the one I shot at Wat Jet Yot.

Ever since I saw the multi-copter videos I really want one. The cheapest I've seen is $595.00 USD and I don't think that came with the RC controller. I've seen controllers that can operate from an Android phone or tablet. Always enjoy <envy> your videos.

BTW - what is the flight time on one battery charge? I assume that is a Hero GoPro camera being used?

Not sure, but I think the copters controlled by a phone or tablet have their limitations. The connection seems to be by WiFi, so quite a limited range. I do use (amongst other equipment) a tablet but I have a radio hooked up to the tablet. Gives my the realtime flightdata and I can give commands to the copter in mid air.

The batteries I use give me a flighttime of some 7 minutes. Of course I do have more sets of batteries.

I had a GoPro. Gone...

Now I am using a Pana LX7 for the videos and mostly a modified (other firmware in it) Canon G11 for the stills.

One of the IT stores in Central airport had a sale on PAROT drones ( this is about 2 months ago ), I think they are controlled through your Iphone/ Ipad. Not sure, but I think about 6000 BTS. I don't think you would be getting anything near what RCPILOT is coming out with, but on the fun factor scale, must be an 8 out of 10

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-multirotors-790/

Spent a fair amount of time looking further into what is available through Youtube and websites and came across this complete system. DJI Phantom Quadcopter with GPS. Price around $700 USD though. B&H Photo has the complete setup with GoPro HERO3 camera. Found this one which may be a good first start in order to learn how to fly one. Brando $49.00 USD but no camera but may be able to mount one of the cheap, small spy cams on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6o01HxB3Y

DJI Site

B&H grossly inflates their prices. Notice that the GoPro is only the silver.

Found the complete setup (GPS Quad+FPV+GoPro3 Black) for 32000 THB. HOWEVER, VAT was quoted at 15000 THB and shipping was another 5000.

55-60k on a toy...hmm...

Found the complete setup (GPS Quad+FPV+GoPro3 Black) for 32000 THB. HOWEVER, VAT was quoted at 15000 THB and shipping was another 5000.

55-60k on a toy...hmm...

B&H do have the same in the black edition for 31,899 Baht. Actually I've found B&H pretty competitive. I bought my camera from them for 30,000 Baht which ran for 60,000 Baht on all Thai websites.

Spent a fair amount of time looking further into what is available through Youtube and websites and came across this complete system. DJI Phantom Quadcopter with GPS. Price around $700 USD though. B&H Photo has the complete setup with GoPro HERO3 camera. Found this one which may be a good first start in order to learn how to fly one. Brando $49.00 USD but no camera but may be able to mount one of the cheap, small spy cams on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6o01HxB3Y

DJI Site

Google Kogan Australia helicopter. The have a very handsome little number with camera that might be just right for the learning phase for $49.

'Remote control helicopters with onboard cameras are the latest rage, but their high price tags often put them out of reach for the budding enthusiast. At this price, you can afford to buy two!

Featuring a built in camera and internal gyroscopes for extremely steady flight, you will soon be soaring through the sky with our Mini RC Spy Helicopter. Navigating the helicopter is a breeze, capture both video or still shots at the press of a button, either via iPhone/iPad/Android handset or via the dedicated 2.4GHz controller.'

55-60k on a toy...hmm...

B&H do have the same in the black edition for 31,899 Baht. Actually I've found B&H pretty competitive. I bought my camera from them for 30,000 Baht which ran for 60,000 Baht on all Thai websites.

but thats comparing apples and oranges. B&H is usually more expensive than other western outlets.

^the problem with using something like that kogan is that you wont actually learn anything at all since the controls are totally different from the quad. do like the idea of bouncing instead of crashing, though thumbsup.gif

Edited by samsara

rcpilot, that was excellent - thanks for showing it to us. Very good picture quality. Next time mount a speaker on it and zoom in close to people and warn them "Big Brother is watching you." Should be good for a laugh. Was out at the RC Flying Club back of Jomtien the other day watching some people put their planes and copters through their paces. If my daughter can keep her bloody hands out of my wallet for a couple of months, I might be able to save up to buy some equipment.

Keep the vids coming.

If you're thinking of buying from China Banggood.com have a good name with the RC heli community

http://www.banggood.com/

Also there's Hobbyking who have warehouses in Hong Kong, the US, the UK and Europe

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp

Cool - appreciate the links, sustento. Prices seem pretty reasonable, so crashes etc won't hurt the wallet too much as you get used to it all.

Cheers.

I've posted this link before but it's worth repeating. There's huge amounts of advice and knowledge available here

Hi guys,

It is all getting a bit technical now...

Some asked me what hardware I am using.

Well, I just buy the components and build the copters up myself.

Works better for me and gives me more freedom.

HobbyKing is my main supplier.

Do not forget that hardware is just something you need.

More important is building up experience flying the copter. And common sense.

So I would say, start with something really cheap.

Crashes are great teachers. Start practicing in open empty fields. The higher the grass, the better.

And common sense means NOT flying above people, cars, etc.

When I produced the footage at Thanon Wua Lai I had an open space of just 2 by 2 meter between some food stalls for lift-off and landing and during the flight, my copter was mainly above the water in the moat.

Not an ideal situation but in case of a possible malfunction, a crash on a car or much worse, on a person, is an absolute disaster.

So again to the guys who want to start flying a multicopter, my advice is start with something cheap and take your time.

• Like 1

I've posted this link before but it's worth repeating. There's huge amounts of advice and knowledge available here

Hi guys,

It is all getting a bit technical now...

You can't present a bunch of blokes with new toys and not expect them to be interested biggrin.png

'The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys' wink.png

Have to admit, been spending quite a bit of time looking at all the sites and YouTube videos. Digging around for an Android quadcopter simulator to practice with. Have an RC Helicopter simulator for Android already and it is very realistic - spelled difficult to fly. biggrin.png