whats to do waiting in the wee hours

Coming in on international flight at midnight and then waiting for domestic flight by 7AM in Suvarnabhumi.

It's been 2 1/2 years since I have been there...

Are there any places open to eat and relax at the airport in the early hours? What area is best to grab a bite to eat, and some good coffee, maybe even an early breakfast?

Will the currency exchange's be in operation during the early hours?

*Have to have a smoking room somewhere in route there as well, the closer to arrival the better and then near departure in domestic, or have they clamped down on smoking?

How's outside the airport after midnight, I know they have smoking areas outside?

Can you share any details re: your itinerary? Especially any details re: carrier(s) and final domestic destination. While it is possible to interline bags through to some domestic destinations, I'm not certain you can do this with such a long 'connection'?

I am pretty sure you will have to clear Arriving Immigration, claim your checked luggage, exit through Customs, where you will be on the Arrivals or Level 2. Maybe as early as 04:30 you could proceed up to Level 4 (Departures) to check in for your domestic flight, and clear security to get into the Domestic Concourse A.

In between you could head down to Level B, where there are some eateries - not sure what the opening hours are there - or to the Magic Point Food Court on Level 1/Door 10, or to the land-side eateries on Level 3.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_noBD_en.php

Currency exchange services should be available; especially in the baggage claim area upon arrival.

I'm not certain you can or should stay in the international transit area, so could not avail yourself of some of the possibilities others have mentioned?

For smoking you'll have to go outside the main passenger terminal building, on level 1.

Edited by lomatopo

Can you share any details re: your itinerary? Especially any details re: carrier(s) and final domestic destination. While it is possible to interline bags through to some domestic destinations, I'm not certain you can do this with such a long 'connection'?

I am pretty sure you will have to clear Arriving Immigration, claim your checked luggage, exit through Customs, where you will be on the Arrivals or Level 2. Maybe as early as 04:30 you could proceed up to Level 4 (Departures) to check in for your domestic flight, and clear security to get into the Domestic Concourse A.

In between you could head down to Level B, where there are some eateries - not sure what the opening hours are there - or to the Magic Point Food Court on Level 1/Door 10, or to the land-side eateries on Level 3.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_noBD_en.php

Currency exchange services should be available; especially in the baggage claim area upon arrival.

I'm not certain you can or should stay in the international transit area, so could not avail yourself of some of the possibilities others have mentioned?

For smoking you'll have to go outside the main passenger terminal building, on level 1.

Not carrying any checked baggage as we had run into problems in the past.

We are just taking 2 carry on allowances.

The Itinerary basic is flying Delta all the way, connecting to international at Detroit Wayne County (DTW) terminal EM, then to Narita Terminal 1 (both 2 hr. overlays) and then landing in BKK just past midnight.

At 7 AM departing from Suvanabhumi to Udon Thani on Thai Airways.

I think for the time in-between that level 1 looks the best as there is smoking outside and food court available (we are not looking to do a lot of walking around.)

I would guess there is currency exchange's near by on the 1st level that will be open.

Thanks for the links people and for the advice and facts in the replies....

I would guess there is currency exchange's near by on the 1st level that will be open.

Even though you are not checking/claiming any baggage you will still have to walk through the baggage claim area, as you make your way from Arriving Immigration to Customs. There will be currency exchange booths open in the baggage claim area when you arrive ~ 23:00 on DL.

There are probably a few hundred people short-timing it land-side at SBIA/BKK on any given evening, so you will not be alone. You could probably use Google to find the "secret spots" within the airport? Also, some people use a relatively inexpensive hotel nearby, if only to get refreshed after the 20+ hour journey, and to catch a little sleep.

The CIP lounge(s), is, as far as I know, in the international transit area, so not really an option for an I/D connection?

Also, some people use a relatively inexpensive hotel nearby, if only to get refreshed after the 20+ hour journey, and to catch a little sleep.

I'm one of those people. smile.png

I've never connected to an early morning flight, but I usually arrive late night from the USA like the OP and take a morning *bus* to either Hua Hin or Pattaya, so it's the same idea.

I have stayed many times (more than a dozen?) at Silver Gold Garden hotel which is a 5-10 minute van ride (free shuttle to/from airport) and booking through sawadee.com I can usually get a room for B650. That would be a room for two, so B325 per person in the OPs case. The room is clean, safe and the staff always make me feel welcome.

While I have plugged this particular hotel a few times, there are other equally affordable nearby hotels. Just be sure to ask if they have free shuttle in *both* directions.

I opt for the late-night, but short-stay, hotel option because after that 20+ hour trip from America, I'm not eager to face a few more hours in a midnight taxi run. It just seems more civilized to take a hot shower, take a nap in a real bed and change into fresh clothes before continuing on. But that's just me.

[edited to fix botched quote...]

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 2

QUOTE:

"I've never connected to an early morning flight, but I usually arrive late night from the USA like the OP and take a morning *bus* to either Hua Hin or Pattaya, so it's the same idea."

Ok wpcoe since you mention Pattaya Would you happen to have an idea of what the bus fares and schedules are to Pattaya from BKK Suvanabhumi?

We have booked a flight back to Suvanabhumi from Udon and plan to take the kids for a few days vacation at Pattaya. Arriving in Suvanabhumi at 9AM and need a bus from there to Pattaya..

There are two bus services that depart from the ground floor of the airport near door 8:

Bell Travel Service for B250 (B230 if booked online)

#389 Airport-Pattaya bus for B134

The Bell Travel Service includes a mini-van from the Pattaya bus terminal to your hotel/condo in Pattaya or Jomtien.

The #389 bus drops off at specific intersections on Sukhumvit Road and terminates in Jomtien by Food Mart (across the street from the Pan Pan restaurant.)

Click on the links for the schedules.

• 2 weeks later...