Godaddy alternative?

Somtamnication

I'm also "stuck" with godaddy. They generally handle the DNS pretty well, but I still have a dislike to the company and their support.

I would like to move my domains to for example google, but if done so, how to handle the emails. I do not wish to pay for an domain email address USD50/year.

I use HostGator for all my needs great company, customer service is top notch. They even froze my account and called me because they noticed repeated logins to my cpanel from Thailand when my Billing address is from the States. Inconvenient at the time but gives me a good piece of mind that they are proactive about security.

Edited by justsumhelp

What's wrong with Go Daddy? I have found them to 100%. Helpful and very reliable.V. Cheap too.

I guess everyone have their own ways to determine which service is good which is not so good.

For me godaddy is ok as long as there is no problems with the service. Yes, their website is a mess and ordering something require extra steps to say 'no, I don't really wish to have web hosting, while I already have own servers. thank you very much. Please let's just make the deal right now'. That's kind of a ok and is normally over quite fast.

I determine the quality of the service by how well an company can handle the situations when everything is not alright. I got quite a lot experience on this department with godaddy. I had my own VPS and few customer VPS's with them. Handled emails, DNS etc.

To get anything corrected takes long time. I'll send an incident report and will get an reply after an 12 hours. The first reply is quite often nonsense. Then I'll send another one, which will be replied after a long time once again.. to resolve an problem takes literally days.

On the server side.. I had an problem with Amazon EC2. In some time I got a call from Amazon Singapore. A person who talked my own language explained the situation and how to fix it. I was amazed and very happy. Person with knowledge and willingness to help fixed the situation fast. After that I did not have to look for other server providers as I already found the one I wish to be with. That's the power of the good customer service.

So, currently I have my own and most of my customer domains handled with godaddy. That's the part they do pretty well. Still, as a person having bad experiences with the other part of the company, I would like to move at least some of the domains out. That's just my way to vote with my wallet.

Can second oilinki exactly.

Godaddy are good with domains, bad with hosting and basically no support.

But for domains shouldnt really need much support.

We also use 123-reg.co.uk who are good but not as cheap as godaddy on .coms.

Godaddy marginally better with dns but not much different.

Hundreds of domain companies out there all quite similar. Just make sure they offer emails, nameservers and dns management.

Cheap ones skip on the email or dns management which you may just need to pay for elsewhere.

Amazon aws ec2 is great for hosting. Especially singapore is fast within thailand. They dont do domains but separating domain and hosting is good practice for disaster recovery.

What's wrong with Go Daddy? I have found them to 100%. Helpful and very reliable.V. Cheap too.

I could not agree more. They are always so good about reminding me when my domains need to be renewed, and it is easy to go online with them and track my domains. I of course started with Network Solutions as at first they were the only game in town. I am sure that you could move them there, but they got to be very expensive which caused me to go to GoDaddy. Don't know about their prices now.

I've been using Bluehost for several years now, as has my sister, with no complaints.

The only ripple in the pond was trying to figure out how to input my Thailand billing address for a US-issued VISA card for billing. Once we got that straight, it's been smooth sailing. Never had problem with the web site hosting nor with e-mail accounts.

I recommend http://www.Internet.bs located in the bahamas.

Great price with free Private Domain.

Just transfered 50 domains to them from 1and1.com.

Also you might want to do a search on Hostgator.com before you do anything with them. I have been hosting with them for many years with great service... but they were just recently sold and now having HUGE problems. Search Hostgator outage to see what I'm talking about.

I use I-page.com and find them excellent both from the hosting and the customer service which is available 24hrs a day and very thorough. Been using them for a coupe of years now and they have helped me solve a couple of problems out - caused by me messing up, not them, with just a link to customer service (on line), and usually at some silly hour of the morning like 3/4am.

I could not agree more. They are always so good about reminding me when my domains need to be renewed

Though reminds me their bad side. Dont let a domain expire....it doesnt go into public availability it hits their auctions at crazy prices to buy back your own domain.

Used well godaddy are good but horrible when things go bad.

I'll throw www.namecheap.com into the mix as a domain hoster. However, as everybody else has said, domain hosting is not the difficult part. For actual hosting I have moved my customers from a cheap hosting company to a more expensive hosting company and now a MUCH more expensive hosting company. The difference....amazing.

In the UK and US I can recommend both

www.unitedhosting.co.uk

www.rochenhost.co.uk

They might seem more expensive but both offer the best equipment, co-located and excellent support.

----EDIT----

Got to hate it when forum software doesn't recognise www. and insert the relevant <a href=" bracket!

Edited by draftvader

I just changed from hostso to ipage. I was actually happy with hostso, but wanted to try an alternative as email on the wife's iPad was not working well. I recommend both providers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 months later...

Rule 1: Don't get your domain included with a hosting package

Options: Namecheap.com, Name.com, Dynadot.com

can any one please explain this ( Don't get your domain included with a hosting package ) a bit more

Thanks wai.gif

Free domains often have small print in the terms restricting you from moving the service away at all.

Might be impossible, time related or have a hefty fee.

If they give a package its sometimes lacking in terms of DNS ability and options since its not needed since they manage it all.

Both of which fine and unnoticable while it all works, but a nightmare if it all goes wrong.

Added is the fact that if the company has major technical issues you have no hope.

By separating domain/hosting you have full control over the website at all times and neither one of the companies can hold you hostage.

If the host goes down then you can still manage the domain and can repoint elsewhere until sorted.

Adding DNS control to a 3rd party separate from the domain is even better but OTT for most users.