Moving To Thailand In 2 Years

in 2 years i will retire for the american government. not good retirement but i am planning on moving to thailand to be with my wife. she doesnt want to move here so i am moving there, I HOPE. She works for the thai government as a college teacher for ESL. she owns alot of land there and i have no reason to want to stay in america. what do i do ??? i am looking at a retirement visa but i see that you have to be 55 and i wont be and that you have to make 65,000 baht a month and i wont and to add to this 800,000 baht in bank.. i moght have after i sell my house... i have been reading about differtent visa's and it looks like the retirement visa is the best one to get. i will be living in the north east area in ubonratchathon. any help i would love to hear about

thanks

chip

How old are you?

You do not need to be 55.

You need to be 50.

Some Thai consulate websites haven't updated their info yet.

And, hey, if they dare to tell you different, just tell 'em Thaiquila told you so!

Edited by Thaiquila

For the retired visa requirements, see NON-IMMIGRANT VISA "O-A" (LONG STAY) - visa for retired persons.

If your wife is Thai or a permanant Thai resident, then you can also consider the 'to support wife' visa extension once you are in Thailand.

See Required documents (Visa Extension, to spend the remainder of life and to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)) and Retiremenet Visa Vs Marriage Visa, Bad advice followed by a saga of stupidity and incompetence.

As said the retirement age is 50. The income/bank can be a combination so if you have 40k pension per month you would only have to have about 300k in a bank account. This is for the retirement extension which I would recommend. But you also can use the support Thai wife with a legal marriage and the requirements for that are half the retirement amounts. But it does require more time and effort (both have to appear/sign documents).