Cameron backs down on urgent Syria strikes

webfact

Cameron backs down on urgent Syria strikes
David Cameron backed down and agreed to delay a military attack on Syria following a growing revolt over the UK's rushed response to the crisis on Wednesday night
By Peter Dominiczak, Tim Ross and Robert Winnett

LONDON: -- The Prime Minister has now said he will wait for a report by United Nations weapons inspectors before seeking the approval of MPs for “direct British involvement” in the Syrian intervention.

Downing Street said the decision to wait for the UN was based on the “deep concerns” the country still harbours over the Iraq War.

MPs had been recalled to vote on a motion on Thursday expected to sanction military action. Instead, after a Labour intervention, they will debate a broader motion calling for a “humanitarian response”.

A second vote would be required before any British military involvement. This could now take place next week.

In a statement on Wednesday night Downing Street said that it only wanted to proceed on a “consensual basis” and was now wary about becoming embroiled in another divisive conflict in the Middle East in the wake of Iraq.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10272555/Cameron-backs-down-on-urgent-Syria-strikes.html

-- The Telegraph 2013-08-29

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are no easy options for Syria and at least this time the Politicians are thinking about it they know the people of the UK dont want to get involved with another middle east problem after the last one.

Russia has the key to make a start and they dont want to, it would be difficult for them to bring the sides together and get agreements.

Sad for the innocent who just want to get on with there life but i believe in this case we are unable to help by force.

Arabs always seem to enjoy a good old fight, and have taken a liking to a bit of fighting between the tribes.

Good thing too, a bit of a barney never hurt anyone, lets off steam and all that! I don't think that the US or UK should lift a finger to interfere in this conflict.

Keep 'em busy, old boy, I say, and stop 'em blowing up planes and tall buildings n the west.

Arguments about wearing a burqua in Paris seems like a lot of gas when Syrians need European support from the west.

Jolly good show!

Edited by eddie61
  • Like 1

He backed down? Or he listened to sensible suggestions?

Would we have thought better of him if he had said I'm not for turning and sent the rockets in? Or more of him for having the sense to say, yes, let's wait?.

This is good leadership by Cameron, and good input by the Labour Party. Any preemptive strike would have divided the country. If the UN inspectors come back and say, yes, the regime used chemicals, there will be well nigh unanimous support for action when it comes to the parliamentary vote.

This is what was missing from Iraq, Blair and Bush couldn't wait to get started and they pushed in too early, causing division that haunts them to this day.

If the UN inspectors confirm, if Parliament votes for action, then this will turn out to be a cause for celebration as we watch mature politicians do something sadly lacking in too many cases. Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country.

Thailand should look on and learn.

So I say Kudos to Cameron and Milliband, between them, they've got this right.

I agree there should be no rush to war, but tacking this onto your message was just unjustifiable, gratuitous & insufferably smug Thai bashing.

"Thailand should look on and learn."

Was Thailand involved in the rush to attack Iraq? Is western "thinking" always the path to follow? Nice to see they've learned from mistakes made by the Bush-Blair cabal, but that hardly sets them up as the Great White Hope, setting standards for all to emulate. Stones and glass houses, etc.

post-145917-0-54942900-1377774516_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

+1 I would say he is doing the right thing here

I think Cameron and co are putting a bit of spin on this. If the Times and Daily Mail are to be believed there doesn't seem to be much evidence of Cameron and Milliband working together and coming to a consensus. "Number 10 and the Foreign Office think Milliband is a f****** c*** and a copper bottomed s*** " a government source told The Times! " The French hate him now, and he's got no chance of building an alliance with the US Democratic Party", the source added. Very revealing! It would appear that, far from showing good sensible leadership, Cameron has indulged in some foot stamping and throwing his toys out of the pram when he couldn't get his own way!

Would we have thought better of him if he had said I'm not for turning and sent the rockets in? Or more of him for having the sense to say, yes, let's wait?.

This is good leadership by Cameron, and good input by the Labour Party. Any preemptive strike would have divided the country. If the UN inspectors come back and say, yes, the regime used chemicals, there will be well nigh unanimous support for action when it comes to the parliamentary vote.

This is what was missing from Iraq, Blair and Bush couldn't wait to get started and they pushed in too early, causing division that haunts them to this day.

If the UN inspectors confirm, if Parliament votes for action, then this will turn out to be a cause for celebration as we watch mature politicians do something sadly lacking in too many cases. Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country.

I agree there should be no rush to war, but tacking this onto your message was just unjustifiable, gratuitous & insufferably smug Thai bashing.

Was Thailand involved in the rush to attack Iraq? Is western "thinking" always the path to follow? Nice to see they've learned from mistakes made by the Bush-Blair cabal, but that hardly sets them up as the Great White Hope, setting standards for all to emulate. Stones and glass houses, etc.

Oh dear!

I fear you are seeing things that are not there - or seeing things that YOU want to see !

The Blethers post was spot on in all respects. The reference to Thailand was clearly related to his last sentence:-

Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country.

Most appropriate at the present time with the 'reconciliation debate.

• Like 2

Maybe Cameron realised that the UK is not a superpower any more or the Russians told them what will happen if they attack or the Chinese told Obama that if they attack the Chinese will start to sell $ 5 bn US treasuries everyday until the US economy collapse.

• Like 1

Oh dear!

I fear you are seeing things that are not there - or seeing things that YOU want to see !

The Blethers post was spot on in all respects. The reference to Thailand was clearly related to his last sentence:-

Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country.

"Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country"! Hmm. So after talking this advice and listening to it, No10 then briefs the press that Milliband is a f****** c***, and a copper bottomed s***. Not much reconciliation to be had there i would suggest!

Yes he is doing the right thing.

However after Iraq and Afghan have we not had enough of this BS.

Head cut off people in London cos we have invaded an Islamic country now we are to go in again and save the Muslims from the Muslims when we have left nothing but problems Iraq and Afghan

Not our business the government has the majority vote weather we like it or not.

On this occasion I side with Putin. He will possibly be our saviour as he has threatened to bomb Saudi if we attack Syria. Anyways the terrorist or freedom fighters in Syria are foreign fighters & Pakistan terrorists we support them now do we? We are not the world police send Islamic troops in if they have committed War crimes
  • Like 2

Oh dear!

"Taking advice from the opposition, listening to it, and acting in the best interests of the country"! Hmm. So after talking this advice and listening to it, No10 then briefs the press that Milliband is a f****** c***, and a copper bottomed s***. Not much reconciliation to be had there i would suggest!

The principle still remains sound.

Ha... the only reason Cameron & the states haven't gone straight in is because theres no oil reserves or gas pipelines going through Syria hence no money...

w00t.gif

Ha , ha, right back at ya'. The US is within sniffing distance of being oil independent and in the next several years may become an exporting nation. The UK has the North Sea Oil fields. Neither country is particularly in need of oil.

This argument is growing very weary.

• Like 1

Ha... the only reason Cameron & the states haven't gone straight in is because theres no oil reserves or gas pipelines going through Syria hence no money...

w00t.gif

Say what?

blink.png

Added: I think everyone would be quite keen on an oil & gas pipeline from the Gulf straight to the Med as well. Sort of mitigates a bit of the risk of the Suez getting closed, innit? They could probably use the Russian naval base as a terminal.

Edited by Chicog

+1 I would say he is doing the right thing here

I think Cameron and co are putting a bit of spin on this. If the Times and Daily Mail are to be believed there doesn't seem to be much evidence of Cameron and Milliband working together and coming to a consensus. "Number 10 and the Foreign Office think Milliband is a f****** c*** and a copper bottomed s*** " a government source told The Times! " The French hate him now, and he's got no chance of building an alliance with the US Democratic Party", the source added. Very revealing! It would appear that, far from showing good sensible leadership, Cameron has indulged in some foot stamping and throwing his toys out of the pram when he couldn't get his own way!

If the French hate Cameron then he must be doing something right. 'Rosbif' and frogs legs should never appear on the same menu.

• Like 1

Oh dear!

If anybody, even for a nanosecond, believes that UK politicians and diplomats would descend to such gutter language in expressing their opinions of the capabilities of Milliband, however thin on the ground they may be, then they need to consult a proctologist before they run out of breath.

he hasnt backed down ,just some stalling by the labour party goons . He is still THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF and doesn't need any backup from any goons in parliament.

if he says launch 200 cruise missles then they fly

A big time pussy, yes.

These strikes had to happen in quick time. Adequate notice had to be given to Syrian civilians but the offensive had to happen reasonably rapidly, without undue delays.

Now it's happening in slow motion, which is only negative to the entire operation.

UK's Cameron loses parliamentary vote on Syria action

British Prime Minister David Cameron lost a vital parliamentary vote on Thursday night meant to pave the way for Britain to join a looming military strike on Syria, in a move that appeared to all but rule out British involvement in such action.

In a humiliating and unexpected development, Cameron and his coalition government failed to pass a motion that would have authorized military action against Syria in principle by 285 to 272 votes.

Cameron said afterwards he would not override the will of parliament and approve military action, saying it was clear that lawmakers did not want to see a military strike on the Syrian government to punish it for an illegal chemical weapons attack in the suburbs of Damascus last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/29/us-syria-crisis-britain-vote-idUSBRE97S18K20130829

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2