Rendering Duck Fat

ToddWeston

Have a family feast coming up and they asked for my roasted potatoes. I usually buy duck or goose fat back home but thought it would be fun to try it as duck isn't that terribly expensive and hopefully I can save enough duck for a cassoulet (maybe ?)

Any tips on which method works best (water or dry method) with Thai ducks ? are they super fatty ? The prepared ones in restaurants seem very lean and tasty.

http://www.greenmarketrecipes.com/poultry/making_duck_fat.htm

We regularly have duck as a meal, slow roasted. I get about 2/3 of a cup of fat from two leg portions that I then keep for my roast spuds. Just an idea, you can have a nice duck meal and get the fat for your tatties.

• Like 2

We regularly have duck as a meal, slow roasted. I get about 2/3 of a cup of fat from two leg portions that I then keep for my roast spuds. Just an idea, you can have a nice duck meal and get the fat for your tatties.

Do you put the duck on a rack with tatties underneath? Mmmhhh Heaven.

Don't know where you live of course but where do you buy your duck?

Lord luv a duck smile.png

I actually roast the duck sat on top of whole cloves of Garlic with a few rosemary sprigs for good measure. We don't actually have roasties with the duck, normally a salad as my Thai partner isn't into spuds. The roasties are made when we have western friends round for dinner. I am in Pattaya and get my duck at friendship.

I must admit to bringing back Goose fat from the UK when I am there. I was told that around Christmas time Goose Fat can be found in the Central Food Halls. naughty but soooooooo nice.

• Like 2

I might just as well share the way I do my roasties and honestly they are the best IMHO, but if there is something better I'll give it a whirl.

Bring potatoes to the boil with salted water 5 to 8 minutes (don't put them in hot water)

Drain in colander and leave for 5 minutes for the steam to evaporate

Return to pot - put lid on the pot and give them a really good shake just to fluff them

Place in roasting pan with goose fat or duck fat on gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. (200c)

The fluffing part makes them crispy and wonderful.

I like the idea of using the fat from the roast RAB - I'm also curious do you rack roast the bird ? and any thoughts if I spatchcocked the bird ? I'd really like to get as much fat as possible.

I might just as well share the way I do my roasties and honestly they are the best IMHO, but if there is something better I'll give it a whirl.

Bring potatoes to the boil with salted water 5 to 8 minutes (don't put them in hot water)

Drain in colander and leave for 5 minutes for the steam to evaporate

Return to pot - put lid on the pot and give them a really good shake just to fluff them

Place in roasting pan with goose fat or duck fat on gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. (200c)

The fluffing part makes them crispy and wonderful.

I like the idea of using the fat from the roast RAB - I'm also curious do you rack roast the bird ? and any thoughts if I spatchcocked the bird ? I'd really like to get as much fat as possible.

Todd

Your roasties recipe is exactly the same as I do, taught to me by my mother who was taught by her mother...........My one let down here is the poor quality of the potatoes, not great for anything but mash.

As I said I only cook two leg portions and they are sat on top of garlic so the fat can drain away from the meat and also cooks the cloves of garlic. If I was doing a whole bird it would certainly be on a rack. I am not sure spatchcocking would get you any more fat and its quite a chore for what i think would be minimal returns.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

I actually roast the duck sat on top of whole cloves of Garlic with a few rosemary sprigs for good measure. We don't actually have roasties with the duck, normally a salad as my Thai partner isn't into spuds. The roasties are made when we have western friends round for dinner. I am in Pattaya and get my duck at friendship.

I must admit to bringing back Goose fat from the UK when I am there. I was told that around Christmas time Goose Fat can be found in the Central Food Halls. naughty but soooooooo nice.

rab you got me dribbeling I cant even say it now cheers..

• Like 1