Cheap Calling Service to the UK (landline)?

Visad

I need to call the UK (landline, bank customer services) and I was wondering if there were any calling cards or online services I could use to make the cost a bit cheaper than using my standard land line?

I'd rather not use my mobile or Skype due to poor line quality.

Any tips?

Thanks.

There are many services but one of the useful ones which I've been using for years is http://www.deedial.com

It works in several ways but the one I prefer is to register your phone with them by phoning them, it works with landlines and mobiles. Then you login on the website and there are 20 available numbers, you can assign an international number to each one.

When you dial one of the available numbers (Bangkok local numbers) from the registered phone it automatically forwards the call to the international number you setup on the website.

It costs the price of a local call plus the internaitonal fee which is low, I can't remember how much. I just put 1000 Baht on this service every few months and it covers all my international calls.

You can top up your account at the 7/11.

It takes a few minutes to setup but once it's done it's easy and convenient as you don't need to start dailing long numbers from a calling card each time you want to make a call. I've memorised the local numbers which connect to people in the UK and just dial them as needed.

Thanks, Dee Dial looks great. To the UK its 0.99 fixed line, 7.00 mobile.
Where does one get a cat card from?
Thanks.

You need to register your number first by calling them on the number listed on the website.

They sell cards at some 7/11's or you buy credits from the cashier and they print out a receipt with the numbers and instructions to activiate it.

Note - I have had some issues buying credit at 7/11's as the staff generally don't know what it is. I suggest you print out the 'Sawasdee Shop' logo on the webpage which is the company name and show it to them, tell them 'online bill payment sawasdee shop'. The 7/11's often have a piece of paper full of barcodes which they scan when making bill payments. They will ask for your phone number while doing this kind of transaction. Most of the 7/11's in Hua Hin have no idea what it is and insist that they don't sell the credits although I know they do. It's not so much of an issue in Bangkok.

Localphone.com is a UK based call company, who can do what you ask, its very cheap from the UK about 2p a minute using the localphone number of the area you are in eg London. They do have system for calling from Thailand to the UK, its a monthly fee, a set up fee and then a low call rate, have a look and see if it is better than the other system suggested. I make few calls to the Uk so it would not be worthwhile for me, I just get a CAT card which gives me 300 minutes for 300 bts and it does the trick.

Edited by nong38