Tony Blair discusses reform with top Thai Democrats

webfact

POLITICS
Blair discusses reform with top Democrats

Prapasri Osathanon
The Nation

30214018-01_big.gif
Deputy leader of the Democrat Party Korn Chatikavanij posted pictures on his Facebook page showing former British PM Tony Blair shaking hands with party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

BANGKOK: -- Former British prime minister Tony Blair yesterday discussed political reform with the opposition Democrat Party, which has boycotted the forum on that issue.

"We explained to him again that the government is not really sincere about political reform. They also refuse to review the consideration of an amnesty bill as the bill would create more division and negative impact on the political system," deputy Democrat Party leader Korn Chatikavanij posted on his Facebook page.

The meeting with Blair, party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and Korn was requested by Blair, as he knew that the Democrats did not join the political reform process, the former finance minister said.

Korn later told The Nation in a telephone interview that this political forum should not have been hosted by the government, adding that non-partisan organisations should have been allowed to take charge.

"We told Blair that 'legal principles' are important in a democratic society. He agreed and understood our stance," he said.

Blair was invited by the government to be the keynote speaker at the forum on "Uniting for the Future: Learning from Each Other's Experiences" forum held by the Foreign Ministry yesterday.

After the morning session ended, the former UK premier lunched with Abhisit and Korn at the residence of the British ambassador.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-03

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He He........Fantastic............something tells me a few people who paid for his time will not like this at all..............

Brilliant!!

Both Blair and the Thai government have confirmed he was not paid.I believe them.In any event his involvement was never a propaganda stunt for one side and his natural sympathy surely lie with the Democrats, especially the likes of Abhisit and Korn.

So these silly posts about paymasters being displeased about the British Embassy meeting with fellow Oxonians are complete stupidity.

• Like 2

He He........Fantastic............something tells me a few people who paid for his time will not like this at all..............

Brilliant!!

Both Blair and the Thai government have confirmed he was not paid.I believe them.In any event his involvement was never a propaganda stunt for one side and his natural sympathy surely lie with the Democrats, especially the likes of Abhisit and Korn.

So these silly posts about paymasters being displeased about the British Embassy meeting with fellow Oxonians are complete stupidity.

Oh dear, I think Jayboy's feeling a bit flustered this morning, the man who is so quick to disparage others for lack of intelligence has made 2 grammatical errors in the above post.

First poster to correctly point them out wins a signed photo of Tony, Apisit and Korn enjoying themselves at the British Embassy.

Brilliant!!

That's interesting. So you are saying that the Democrats (like Labour) are the party of the people not the elite.

Brilliant!!

Do you mind? Blair is distrusted as he is a proven liar. That's what happens when you are a proven liar, nobody believes a word you say in future.

This family has past form too, his wife charged an Australian children's charity over £100,000 for a series of speeches, speeches made while accompanying TB on a tour of Oz.

This article also discusses how she tried to wangle her way out of paying stamp duty

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/cherie-blair-inflated-charity-take/story-e6frg6to-1111116354522

If the contention is that TB has paid every single penny out of his own pocket for this trip, I just don't believe it. That's his legacy now........distrust from the British public.

A self inflicted wound.

Nobody denies Blair hasn't made millions since leaving politics but there's no evidence at all he was paid a fee for his Bangkok speech.I'm sure expenses were reimbursed as is normal.

As with so many other people there's enough evidence to make a hostile case against Blair.Why make stuff up or just retail gossip?

Much as I dislike and distrust Tony Blair, and Peua Thai party (for similar reasons), I recommend this link to anyone hoping for an in-depth analysis of whether the Daily Mail is a good source of information in each person's case.

http://www.shouldireadthedailymail.com

Edited by Pi Sek
  • Like 1

amazing Abhisit look like a dwarf near Blair.

well when you Blair's legacy, no wonderPosted Image

The other paper in an editorial today endorses Blair's very useful contribution and criticises Abhisit for staying away.Interestingly and providing no succour for the government the foreign dignitaries including Blair set no store on an amnesty.

I agree that Abhisit comes out of this looking like a tosser.

Brilliant!!

I own a bridge over the River Thames, and it's for sale. PM me for details.

So you are the owner of the Swinford toll bridge ? - last time I heard it was sold was about 25 years ago

well when you Blair's legacy, no wonderwhistling.gif

The other paper in an editorial today endorses Blair's very useful contribution and criticises Abhisit for staying away.Interestingly and providing no succour for the government the foreign dignitaries including Blair set no store on an amnesty.

The other paper also said that amnesty is still on for PT. Abhisit was therefor right to stay away. He had predicted this from the start.

Edited by Nickymaster

Maybe he can go and talk to Assad about reform next?

It is getting very easy to bash Blair.

Thought he was not so bad a guy, but he has changed my mind with all of this toing and froing.

Edited by jmccarty

Brilliant!!

I disagree with you on the supposed paymaster being displeased.

I do how ever agree with you that in all likely hood Blair received no pay for his participation.

More than likely expenses and that is fair.

The paymaster is displeased with any point of view that he has not personally rubber stamped. Even if he rubber stamped a 180 degree opposite one yesterday.

well when you Blair's legacy, no wonderPosted Image

The other paper also said that amnesty is still on for PT. Abhisit was therefor right to stay away. He had predicted this from the start.

Irrelevant.Attendance by the opposition wouldn't have implied endorsement of PTP amnesty policy.Indeed it would have given the Democrats an excellent opportunity to explain their objections.

The other paper was right to criticise.Abhisit behaved like a petulant child.

Brilliant!!

Do you mind? Blair is distrusted as he is a proven liar. That's what happens when you are a proven liar, nobody believes a word you say in future.

This family has past form too, his wife charged an Australian children's charity over £100,000 for a series of speeches, speeches made while accompanying TB on a tour of Oz.

This article also discusses how she tried to wangle her way out of paying stamp duty

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/cherie-blair-inflated-charity-take/story-e6frg6to-1111116354522

If the contention is that TB has paid every single penny out of his own pocket for this trip, I just don't believe it. That's his legacy now........distrust from the British public.

A self inflicted wound.

Nobody denies Blair hasn't made millions since leaving politics but there's no evidence at all he was paid a fee for his Bangkok speech.I'm sure expenses were reimbursed as is normal.

As with so many other people there's enough evidence to make a hostile case against Blair.Why make stuff up or just retail gossip?

What really gets me is the personal bias against him is so deeply entrenched against him in people that they even dished his speech. Which I thought was a good one.

the man is not stupid and could not go into details in his speech all he could do was give an outline. To we as forigners it might have seemed light wheight some thing we are selves could have said but to the \Thais it had a different meaning. They took it as a change is nessesary far from a rubber stamp of the present regime. Or past ones either.

But then again I have no personal bias against the man. Now if you want to talk about Dick Cheaney there I do.

Irrelevant.Attendance by the opposition wouldn't have implied endorsement of PTP amnesty policy.Indeed it would have given the Democrats an excellent opportunity to explain their objections.

Again, did they say child? Or is jayboy making something up again.

If somebody here says that Blair got paid then jayboy get's very nervous because it is not proven. Meanwhile, he makes up stories all the time himself. Funny.

• Like 2

Again, did they say child? Or is jayboy making something up again.

If somebody here says that Blair got paid then jayboy get's very nervous because it is not proven. Meanwhile, he makes up stories all the time himself. Funny.

Normally I ignore posts as unintelligent as this but for the record my comments on Abhisit's pathetic performance are my own.Blair is unattractively interested in money but it seems quite clear he wasn't paid a fee this time, and his presentation was an impressive one.

but for the record my comments on Abhisit's pathetic performance are my own

Ah ok that must be the reason you hide behind other papers and other posters when you call him a child and tosser... coffee1.gif

Your opinion only jayboy.