Government hospital residence requirement for non-local Thais

seniorbro

Sorry if this topic has been addressed before, but I can't find anything that exactly answers my query.

From what I understand, Thais are eligible for free treatment under the government national security healthcare scheme (the basic one) in the area they are shown as registered as living in the 'blue book'. My Thai girlfriend is registered in her family's blue book in Bangkok, but lives with me permanently in Chiang Mai. She is a student and is not covered under any insurance or employment scheme.

We rent a house and don't have a blue book, and the house owner tells me that blue book is not for registering tenants, just the owner. So my question is, what is a Thai national supposed to do in a case like hers if they need treatment after they move permanently to another province and are not shown in any local blue book?

Up to now she has gone to Suan Dok hospital (Maharaj Nakhorn) and has paid the same price as myself for minor treatment, but in case of a more serious illness I would like her to be able to access the government healthcare scheme.

Grateful if anyone can shed some light on this.

Cheers,

SB

Can't comment on the question what she should do, but most Thais do not live on the address where they are registered on the tabien baan. Best to ask the hospital about what to do.

The landlord is wrong. The housebook list all the persons officially registered at that address, not just who owns the house. He probably doesn't want her registerred there, perhaps afraid for the tax man.

Also check-out with the university if she is covered through that. I beleive there is a special deal for CMU students at Suan Dok.