Protesting

FireMedic

I find it amazing how the Thai method of protesting usually nets them exactly what they want. They protest, cause a huge problem and scene, then an "official" comes out to negotiate, afterwards business as usual. What would happen to all the farangs that protested, either expat or tourist if they decided to protest the Airport taxi mafia? How long would they be left standing if they protested at Bangla/Beach Rd or Jungceylon over tuk tuk fairs? What would happen to expat business owners who get "taxed" every week or month by local collectors? Do you think any "official" would come to negotiate with farangs? I honestly don't think farangs would last 2 minutes before they were leveled by locals. The thought of a peaceful protest by farangs about extortionate prices on Phuket would send shivers down the spines of local officials, especially if it went into the media. And God forbid what it would do to Phuket's already fragile image if those said farang protesters were injured by local thugs. This wouldn't tarnish the image, it would deeply scar it.

• Like 1

"What would happen to all the farangs that protested, either expat or tourist if they decided to protest the Airport taxi mafia? "

Likely get arrested. Deported as troublemakers.

If it's a non-violent protest, what would they be charged with? (legititimately charge with - not fabricated)

It's a little hard to have an "unlawful assembly" of farang on Bangla Road or Patong Beach, as these places are what tourists come to see. smile.pngsmile.png

It's probably about the only option left to try to force some sort of positive change here.

Edited by NamKangMan

If it's a non-violent protest, what would they be charged with? (legititimately charge with - not fabricated)

Public disorder would cover reason to arrest, and that's true in many countries, not just Thailand.

There is a thread posted today of a small protest by parents of students at a school. The article does not state anyone was arrested, however, I have no doubt if the protest turned violent, or caused the destruction of property, or distrupted traffic, it's possible arrests may have been made.

Were these protesting parents breaking the law today?

I think what the OP is getting at is a protest consisting of tourists and expats, drawing attention to the key issues here, would draw a lot of negative global media attention, and with the overall fear of "tarnishing" Phuket's image, may offer a slim hope for some change here.

"What would happen to all the farangs that protested, either expat or tourist if they decided to protest the Airport taxi mafia? "

the police would look on as the taxi mafia cracked some heads

If that happened, that would really draw global attention, the whole purpose of "the gathering." :) :)

the rubber farmers seem to be doing a good job of closing the county from the south, Making news around the world

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/sns-rt-us-thailand-rubber-20130903,0,6569788.story

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/thailand/story/thai-rubber-farmers-block-roads-protest-20130905

As far as Phuket;

I am one of those Farangs that have been living here a Long time ( counting 28 years+++)

It was beautiful here in the 80's and I was hopeful at the beginning, than in late '97 left an came back in early 99. things kept slipping into the bad until the Tsunami hit an than , ahh great a chance to clean out all the shit an make phuket a truly world class resort,

The promises flowed like water how this was going to get done an this would be cleaned up and this an this.

Nothing changed , in fact if anything its worse>>

800 baht for a taxi ride from the airport to Patong!!!

Now i just live here, don't get involved, don't have any illusions it will get better but still

its a nice place to call home

• Like 1

I completely understand. They know they have us by the cajones here. We have to bend over and take one in the tailpipe and like it If not, they (being any one of the 17 government officials) can make your life or business here kaput in no time. Not one farang in Thailand would protest for fear of Thai prison, Thai beating, Thai Police, Thai Taxi, Thai Tuk Tuk, Thai street thugs, and just about another thing Thai except their wife. Most are scared of their wives too and I understand why!!! I'm hardly trying to incite a protest, but just imagine if the news got a hold of some video of farangs with signs protesting scams, high prices, and mafia mentality. OMG, Thailand and Phuket would come to a grinding halt doing damage control at a feverish pitch. They wouldn't know what to do. Except maybe start shifting blame onto these "unruly and treasonous farangs that will be re-educated and relocated as to not cause further problems on the paradise island of Phuket,"

Plenty of tourists from India, Russian states and China, westerners not needed, except to prop up Isaan villages through marriage, of course.

Foreigners are forbidden by law to protest. We have no rights and it seems there is a concerted effort among old timers to conceal the difficulties to potential new comers. Foreigners need more foreigners, it's like living in a tank of sharks and it's my civic duty to warn others who may find the sex scene doesn't quite make up for it all- for that is the real motive for vast majority of expats- sex and personal servants and is how Thailand gets away with xenophobic rules.

Live in a whorehouse and you're gonna get f'd.

if all u see is Thailand is a whorehouse u must get out of Pattaya more often.

Find the sex scene doesn't quite make up for it all- for that is the real motive for vast majority of expats- sex and personal servants

Vast majority can u back that up with any stats or is it just more bullshit

Here's the biggest problem I see. There are two types of people here in Phuket. A group that complains about problems and do nothing to help or solve those problems because they have lost hope. They have been here so long and nothing has changed in the last 20 or more years, that I don't blame them either. The local officials are full of empty promises and enforcement. There is another group here that sees the great potential of Phuket and would like to see positive changes. Most people that have been here a long time or short time would all agree that changes have to be made so that Phuket doesn't sink into the ocean like a tourist-style Atlantis. Given that farangs here have no actual voice in Thailand, farangs do have an international voice, which would upstage any local coverage by a long shot. If international media had coverage of farangs being arrested or beaten for a peaceful protest, I have a feeling things would be addressed quickly. It will likely never happen, but given the effectiveness of Thai protests, I would never count it out.

I agree with what you say but in between these two groups are your tourists that Phuket depends on what do they understand about the scams and corruption .not a lot by the looks of it i would like to ask them do they do any research before getting on the plane to come here i have seen many standing in the arrivals in the airport completely confused what is going on and that is before the even hit the streets.

Plenty of tourists from India, Russian states and China, westerners not needed, except to prop up Isaan villages through marriage, of course.

Foreigners are forbidden by law to protest. We have no rights and it seems there is a concerted effort among old timers to conceal the difficulties to potential new comers. Foreigners need more foreigners, it's like living in a tank of sharks and it's my civic duty to warn others who may find the sex scene doesn't quite make up for it all- for that is the real motive for vast majority of expats- sex and personal servants and is how Thailand gets away with xenophobic rules.

"westerners not needed" - that maybe true, but their baht is needed. :) :)

Find the sex scene doesn't quite make up for it all- for that is the real motive for vast majority of expats- sex and personal servants

And you don't think Phuket is becoming "Pattaya 2." :) :)

For an example, just look at the petty theft by foreigners reported last week. 100 baht from a donation box and some snacks from a convenience store - neither happened in Patong.

These are the expats Phuket is attracting now, the way Pattaya has in the past.

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

• Like 1

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

This is the wrong meter for Phuket.

The BS only peaks out at +4 and the truth peaks out at -20.

The proper Phuket meter is where the BS peaks out to +20 and the truth peaks at -4. :) :) :) :)

Are you kidding? Prostitutes are on every corner and the entire corruption process is based in the pimping of it- and foreigners are by and large, a major supporter of it.

BTW I do count the bleating chauvinists here for young servant wives in the stats- although I do see now, many many men are actually her for ladyboys

I think whoreland is an apt name for the country- money rules, sell your daughter, hell, your son too into sex slavery. Or hi jack neigboring Burmese s for the fishing industries. it is a cesspit

you claim just a few posts ago how bad Phuket is getting it is .. yeah Whoreland- Or,....the Whore -dom...mmmm which has a better ring?

Business owning foreigners are about the biggest bullshitters- they have a lot to lose if other western foreigners stop coming here, lot of censoring in the past on local papers,

those 30 year " + 30 + 30 renewable lease on land " total scam comes to mind. How many " counselors" pushed that total scam ?

No stopping the truth now,

Better change to accommodate the Chinese if you want a future in Phuket tourism.

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

The proper Phuket meter is where the BS peaks out to +20 and the truth peaks at -4. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

MacChine;
with ur hatred for thailand
why are u here?

True Thailand has its problems ( many stem from their claim to fame as never being colonized) but to claim its a whoreland is way out in left field

Chinese tourist are the biggest group in Phuket followed by the Russians

“We are forecasting a record high 3 million international visitors for the full year 2013 with the duo of China and Russia boosting 44% of the total overseas volume at the end of June.
http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/08/china-travellers-top-phuket-arrivals/

Quite obvious there are still millions traveling to phuket and the number increase yearly!!!

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote by a source that does not allow it removed.

MacChine;

with ur hatred for thailand

why are u here?

True Thailand has its problems ( many stem from their claim to fame as never being colonized) but to claim its a whoreland is way out in left field

Chinese tourist are the biggest group in Phuket followed by the Russians

“We are forecasting a record high 3 million international visitors for the full year 2013 with the duo of China and Russia boosting 44% of the total overseas volume at the end of June.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/08/china-travellers-top-phuket-arrivals/

Quite obvious there are still millions traveling to phuket and the number increase yearly!!!

"with ur hatred for thailand why are u here?" - Phuket is not in Thailand - it's a different country. :) :)

"Quite obvious there are still millions traveling to phuket and the number increase yearly!!!" - maybe so, but baht turn over is down, way down.

What's the point of higher tourist numbers if there is lower money being generated?

“Business owning foreigners are about the biggest bullshitters...” laugh.png....thumbsup.gif

Business owning foreigners are about the biggest bullshitters- they have a lot to lose if other western foreigners stop coming here, lot of censoring in the past on local papers,

those 30 year " + 30 + 30 renewable lease on land " total scam comes to mind. How many " counselors" pushed that total scam ?

No stopping the truth now,

Better change to accommodate the Chinese if you want a future in Phuket tourism.

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

The proper Phuket meter is where the BS peaks out to +20 and the truth peaks at -4. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png