Do you think you would ever fit in back "home" if you returned?

smooth expat

I'd list all the good things about being home, but doing so upsets some members who are of the mind that we can't express any good sentiments about anywhere other than Thailand without by doing so be taking part in slagging Thailand off.

I think that is a great idea. Why don't you find a forum about England and a thread about the good things in England and list them to your hearts content.smile.png

I think I would miss the bitter and spiteful carping, but I suppose I could log on here from anywhere.

If I moved back, I wouldn't know where to go on holiday. I'd kind of miss my friends and contacts, and I'd need to start my career almost from scratch. As far as I can tell there's more competition there, so that wouldn't be good. I think it would be good for the family, though, as I think it would be good for them to fit in somewhere.

SC

Thats a very good point. It would appear that many people on this forum clearly put their lifestyle before their family. Like all the ex-pats here who subject their children to the thai education system and convince themselves they will do ok in it so they dont feel guilty about living in Ubon and drinking leo on their porches every night while their kids spend their school days learning how to play games on cheap chinese tablets that dont work properly. But hey, they can live in a dusty village and walk down the street wearing a massive amulet and no one laughs at them, so who cares what the kids will be doing in 20 years time. And for the 'second time around' fathers they wont be around by then anyway so who cares!

You seem very bitter and judgmental.

Of course I put my lifestyle first. If my lifestyle is good then so is my kids.

School and growing up in Thailand is much better most areas. Granted education is worse in Thailand but so what, "hey teacher leave the kids alone". I told my kids this afternoon to forget their homework and come running round the lake with me and the dog. Like the Bowie song - "and if the homework gets you down then we'll throw it on the fire and take the car downtown. After picking up my wife we went to Pizza Hut then 10 pin bowling and a movie. If I lived in the UK, I'd be working all hours and hardly see the kids. I sure as hell wouldn't be able to afford taking the family out for entertainment and food.

Live and let live.

• Like 2

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you "fit in" here?

I believe I've fitted in very well in Thailand and I have over the years very much enjoyed my time there, many happy memories and many dear friends in Thailand who I plan to visit in the future.

But with respect to the OP's question.

Absolutely I think I would fit in - I've just spent a month back home in the UK - I had a wonderful time and not once did I feel the place rubbing me or making me wish I was not there.

I'd list all the good things about being home, but doing so upsets some members who are of the mind that we can't express any good sentiments about anywhere other than Thailand without by doing so be taking part in slagging Thailand off.

A good life in Thailand and a good life back home are not mutually exclusive.

I would wager that the vast majority of posters who ramble on about the West equating to nanny states, fat 50 year old women, rampant immigration and high taxes lived in some god forsaken industrial town on 40,000 pounds a year. If you have money the UK is a very nice place to live. For the same amount as an overpriced badly constructed Bangkok condo you can have a nice house with beautiful countryside on your doorstep, a BMW for the same price you would pay for a crapanese car in Thailand, excellent restaurants, proper farmers markets that dont sell pesticide laden leaves and proper butchers. If you did well back home and had a well paying job I cant for the life of me think why you would want to give that up to live in the outskirts of Naknon No-nose, or not be able to fit in back home when you see Thailand for what it really is.

yeah but you'd have to put up with dealing with poms in all those places.

As a westerner outside of western enclaves i:e All major tourist centres and expat communities.I or other westerners would never truly fit in amongst Thai's.At best we would be the cheese smelling farang thats tolerated and if your lucky loved.

Those that will state I do fit in , you don't.

It's not a bad thing just honest fact, your either Thai or your not.

• Like 2

From experience, 1 easily adapts back in homecountry. The "relatepart" is or can be an issue in contact with others who never lived abroad. The 1 thing i liked living in LOS that i never read any newspapers so hardly knew what was happening back home. After a while i never even read the bangkok post anymore.

Hope for you that you do not need to go back soon.

Wow you have really created an isolation for yourself. That is sad. I guess you don't have much to talk about when you get together with a group of people as you have no idea what is going on in the world?

The great thing about the electronic age is that all the news and current events happening in the world, market data, etc. is a only a click away... I definitely would not end up like that. I thrive on keeping my brain working.

Thats a very good point. It would appear that many people on this forum clearly put their lifestyle before their family. Like all the ex-pats here who subject their children to the thai education system and convince themselves they will do ok in it so they dont feel guilty about living in Ubon and drinking leo on their porches every night while their kids spend their school days learning how to play games on cheap chinese tablets that dont work properly. But hey, they can live in a dusty village and walk down the street wearing a massive amulet and no one laughs at them, so who cares what the kids will be doing in 20 years time. And for the 'second time around' fathers they wont be around by then anyway so who cares!

I live in Mae Rim near CM.

Very civilised, good internet connections, modern homes. The local government school appears to do a very good job, and a wide choice of universities within 10Km. I don't know any children with cheap tablets, everyone I see has Samsungs or ipads. You don't have to live in Nakon Nowhere with your Issan princess, up to you.

Can you really buy a nice house in the UK for under 40K UKP?

And what about the taxes and utils you need to pay on that, affordable?

I just bought a new, modern 3 bed, 3 shower house with rural views for that.

No taxes, but 350bht a month moobaan fees.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I think that is a great idea. Why don't you find a forum about England and a thread about the good things in England and list them to your hearts content.smile.png

I think I would miss the bitter and spiteful carping, but I suppose I could log on here from anywhere.

If I moved back, I wouldn't know where to go on holiday. I'd kind of miss my friends and contacts, and I'd need to start my career almost from scratch. As far as I can tell there's more competition there, so that wouldn't be good. I think it would be good for the family, though, as I think it would be good for them to fit in somewhere.

SC

You seem very bitter and judgmental.

Of course I put my lifestyle first. If my lifestyle is good then so is my kids.

School and growing up in Thailand is much better most areas. Granted education is worse in Thailand but so what, "hey teacher leave the kids alone". I told my kids this afternoon to forget their homework and come running round the lake with me and the dog. Like the Bowie song - "and if the homework gets you down then we'll throw it on the fire and take the car downtown. After picking up my wife we went to Pizza Hut then 10 pin bowling and a movie. If I lived in the UK, I'd be working all hours and hardly see the kids. I sure as hell wouldn't be able to afford taking the family out for entertainment and food.

Live and let live.

I'm not bitter and judgmental. I just put my kid's education before my own choices and find it amazing that other people selfishly don't. You said that if you live in the UK then you wouldn't be able to take your children to pizza hut and to see a movie. By convincing yourself that the woeful education you are subjecting them to is acceptable you are in fact just lining them up for the same economic hardship you find yourself in. I mean seriously, who can't afford to take their kids to pizza hut in the UK? I would have thought that with the challenges you face making ends meet in the West you would be extra motivated to ensure your children have the best opportunities in life and can afford to buy a pizza on the weekend. Working all hours? Well its called sacrifice to ensure your children have the best possible start in life. Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say you are doing what is best for their future and the future of any children they have?

Its ok for Bowie to say put the homework down. He's a multi millionaire. You're not.

But as long as YOU are ok...

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 2

I live in Mae Rim near CM.

Very civilised, good internet connections, modern homes. The local government school appears to do a very good job, and a wide choice of universities within 10Km. I don't know any children with cheap tablets, everyone I see has Samsungs or ipads. You don't have to live in Nakon Nowhere with your Issan princess, up to you.

Can you really buy a nice house in the UK for 40K UKP?

Lots of things 'appear' to be good in Thailand. Most often when it comes down to closer inspection they rarely are. I certainly won't be subjecting my kids to a Thai university. When the most prestigious university in Thailand has pictures of students doing fascist salutes in front of Hitler paintings you can only imagine what they are teaching (or not) in the provinces.

Rich Thais educate their children overseas for a reason.

I'm not bitter and judgmental. I just put my kid's education before my own choices and find it amazing that other people selfishly don't. You said that if you live in the UK then you wouldn't be able to take your children to pizza hut and to see a movie. By convincing yourself that the woeful education you are subjecting them to is acceptable you are in fact just lining them up for the same economic hardship you find yourself in. I mean seriously, who can't afford to take their kids to pizza hut in the UK? I would have thought that with the challenges you face making ends meet in the West you would be extra motivated to ensure your children have the best opportunities in life and can afford to buy a pizza on the weekend. Working all hours? Well its called sacrifice to ensure your children have the best possible start in life. Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say you are doing what is best for their future and the future of any children they have?

Its ok for Bowie to say put the homework down. He's a multi millionaire. You're not.

What if your children don't like school, and don't want an education, like 75% of the kids in the USA (I can't believe UK or Euro is any different). You just gave up your life for nothing.

• Like 1

What if your children don't like school, and don't want an education, like 75% of the kids in the USA (I can't believe UK or Euro is any different). You just gave up your life for nothing.

Then it is your job as a responsible parent to motivate your children into understanding the importance of education. My daughter loves going to school. She knows that if she works hard and studies hard she will go far in life and have much more opportunities than a kid who's parents think it is more important to eat pizza than doing their homework. Why not give them the pizza as a reward for doing their homework well instead? They still get to eat their junk food but you're not throwing their life away in the process or teaching them that its ok to not bother with their responsibilities.

When you have children it ceases to be about you or your life. It is about them, and giving them the best opportunities in life and guiding them down the right path. You have given up on them before they have had a chance to show you what they know they are capable of.

Can you really buy a nice house in the UK for under 40K UKP?

And what about the taxes and utils you need to pay on that, affordable?

No taxes, but 350bht a month moobaan fees.

No absolutely not. Houses are more expensive in the UK. But that is why it is important to have a good education. So you can afford to buy things like houses and pay bills. And your kids can afford to too. Lets face it, we all know a Thai university degree isnt worth the paper it's written on. So educated in the local Thai system means that they are most likely going to have to get a job in Thailand. Which means about 20k baht a month. So if they put 25% of that aside each month to pay for their own house, it would only take them 40 years to pay off the loan on a 3 bed 3 shower house like you just bought.

As a few posters have already said here, I'll fit in where ever I am. It all comes down to whether you want to or not I guess...

That said, last tme I went home for a visit, I was standing in a taxi queue one night when an African gentleman tried to jump the queue. I told him rather bluntly that this was unacceptable - I almost ended up getting lifted by the police as being a bloody racist. If it wasn't for the intervention of an elderly Portuguese couple who were standing behind me in the queue who told them I had used no racist remarks or comments, I'd have been spending the weekend in the cells for sure. Incredible...!! As a white male caucasian, it appears that I now have as many rights here as I do there.... so really, why would I bother going? Its nice to go see my old folks and friends once in a while, but I dont ever see myself going back. If I were ever to leave here, I think South America would be on the cards... smile.png

As a few posters have already said here, I'll fit in where ever I am. It all comes down to whether you want to or not I guess...

That said, last tme I went home for a visit, I was standing in a taxi queue one night when an African gentleman tried to jump the queue. I told him rather bluntly that this was unacceptable - I almost ended up getting lifted by the police as being a bloody racist. If it wasn't for the intervention of an elderly Portuguese couple who were standing behind me in the queue who told them I had used no racist remarks or comments, I'd have been spending the weekend in the cells for sure. Incredible...!! As a white male caucasian, it appears that I now have as many rights here as I do there.... so really, why would I bother going? Its nice to go see my old folks and friends once in a while, but I dont ever see myself going back. If I were ever to leave here, I think South America would be on the cards... smile.png

Lucky this didn't happen in Thailand. You may have ended up with a knife in your neck for 'provoking' a local.

Edited by Kananga

I have met very few foreigners who actually fit in here and those that do, didn't come here because they didn't fit in at home, quite the reverse , well travelled, mostly well educated good jobs, not old etc..they have options.

If you didn't fit in at home why would you fit in here!

You mean you fit in if you are:

Young, but not old?

I did not fit in at home, because I preferred Asia.

I always hated milk and sugar on cold flakes of corn for breakfast.

It was just not civilized.

I always loved rice, and plenty of it.

I fit in here, maybe more than some.

I am not well educated though.

And I shun all jobs, due to my visa, which is Ed visa.

I am now going for my PhD, so that I may improve my mind, and someday be "well educated".

The cost of tuition is low enough so that I would be a fool not to get my degree this trip, and I guess I will need about another 3 years.

So if I do not fit in, as you say,

Then I am in deep do-do.

The young are more flexible, less ingrained in their attitudes..so got a better chance.

You don't mention liking Thai culture.

You don't mention having thai friends

You don't mention speaking the language.

Or at least they are not priorities for fitting in as they are not on your list..

I didn't say you didn't fit it..but I can't see how you do without having all of the above.

Being well educated is better than not..I just stated an observation not a whole truth.

Why is it important to fit in..? There is no rule that says you have to fit in..and there is no rule that states if you don't fit in that you can't have a reasonable life here..

I have lived here a long time, the longer I have lived here and the more I understand the less inclined I am to fit in..after all I am a European you are probably American that alone stops you from fitting in ( although there are exceptions)..racism exists here..

You are primarily here because of the low cost of tuition plus you like the place ( a purpose and you have objectives and goals!!)..your streets ahead of most who come here..so don't be so defensive..

Good luck with your studies..

Then it is your job as a responsible parent to motivate your children into understanding the importance of education. My daughter loves going to school. She knows that if she works hard and studies hard she will go far in life and have much more opportunities than a kid who's parents think it is more important to eat pizza than doing their homework. Why not give them the pizza as a reward for doing their homework well instead? They still get to eat their junk food but you're not throwing their life away in the process or teaching them that its ok to not bother with their responsibilities.

When you have children it ceases to be about you or your life. It is about them, and giving them the best opportunities in life and guiding them down the right path. You have given up on them before they have had a chance to show you what they know they are capable of.

What country does your daughter go to school in? From what you have said about Thailand I assume you would not let her attend school there.

What country does your daughter go to school in? From what you have said about Thailand I assume you would not let her attend school there.

She is currently in school in Thailand. In a fully international school following the British curriculum. It costs a lot and I have made sacrifices as a result, but you can't put a price on the value of providing the best education for your children. Don't you agree?

Katanga wrote, "She is currently in school in Thailand. In a fully international school following the British curriculum. It costs a lot and I have made sacrifices as a result, but you can't put a price on the value of providing the best education for your children. Don't you agree?"

My response. No. I moved back to the West to educate my children and when they were out of college moved back to Thailand.

From experience, 1 easily adapts back in homecountry. The "relatepart" is or can be an issue in contact with others who never lived abroad. The 1 thing i liked living in LOS that i never read any newspapers so hardly knew what was happening back home. After a while i never even read the bangkok post anymore.

I live and worked here for +20 years,to live in Belgium again would be a disaster for me, when I seen how the country is going down and the cost of living getting up,up The weather is also a problem for me, I visit my country once a year to visit my children and my aunt, the only thing I mis is the food there.

hope u are wrong, just looking into moving my family back to belgium, selling up in thai , go back to belgium after being away since 1989.

i understand what u say about the weather, but i still think u cant beat a chilly dry winter morning, a little fog over the fields, and nice clean air to breath.

maybee im wrong, but only trying it will prove me wright or wrong.

That's what I did. How can anyone really disagree if they fully understand the current Thai education system, which was only re- enforced when my daughter went to one of the top tier schools.

Good on you..

Thailand has something's going for it but education of its children is not one of them!!

It's a huge sacrifice which many wont or can't do.

So many on these boards say I hate the west, I hate the uk etc..it's changed so much..but can't see in front of their noses how their children are being taught..I must admit it took me sometime to realize this so it's not so clearly black and white to the casual observer (as I was).

My friend who is married to a well educated lady and had a reasonable job here moved to oz as the cost of education here for all his children was simply prohibitive and his wife refused to have them educated in the Thai system. She herself is thai went to school in oz. He hates it there.

• Like 1

Katanga wrote, "She is currently in school in Thailand. In a fully international school following the British curriculum. It costs a lot and I have made sacrifices as a result, but you can't put a price on the value of providing the best education for your children. Don't you agree?"

My response. No. I moved back to the West to educate my children and when they were out of college moved back to Thailand.

No? No you agree that you can't put a price on providing the best education for your children, or no you don't agree with me that you shouldn't?

Edited by Kananga

That's what I did. How can anyone really disagree if they fully understand the current Thai education system, which was only re- enforced when my daughter went to one of the top tier schools.

Good on you..

Thailand has something's going for it but education of its children is not one of them!!

So many on these boards say I hate the west, I hate the uk etc..it's changed so much..but can't see in front of their noses how their children are being taught..I must admit it took me sometime to realize this so it's not so clearly black and white to the casual observer (as I was).

My friend who is married to a well educated lady and had a reasonable job here moved to oz as the cost of education here for all his children was simply prohibitive and his wife refused to have them educated in the Thai system. She herself is thai went to school in oz. He hates it there.

agree, my wife also had a good education, but she wants our girl to be educated in the west, so she will learn that if u dont work hard, u will fail, not like they do here and pass everybody.it a false sense of achievement.

• Like 1

I live and worked here for +20 years,to live in Belgium again would be a disaster for me, when I seen how the country is going down and the cost of living getting up,up The weather is also a problem for me, I visit my country once a year to visit my children and my aunt, the only thing I mis is the food there.

hope u are wrong, just looking into moving my family back to belgium, selling up in thai , go back to belgium after being away since 1989.

i understand what u say about the weather, but i still think u cant beat a chilly dry winter morning, a little fog over the fields, and nice clean air to breath.

maybee im wrong, but only trying it will prove me wright or wrong.

You'll be fine, if you remember it's not Thailand, and you wear your gloves.

SC

• Like 1

Good on you..

Its not that they can't see how their children are being taught badly, they know all too well. Its just they would selfishly rather put their own lifestyle first so convince themselves that the local education system is fine when they know deep down that educating their kids in the West will give them a far better start in life and opportunities that a thai education won't provide. Factor in the fact that many of these fathers are impregnating women far younger than them and they sure as hell ain't going to give up their retirement of drinking leo on the porch for their kids education. Shameful behaviour.

Good on you..

agree, my wife also had a good education, but she wants our girl to be educated in the west, so she will learn that if u dont work hard, u will fail, not like they do here and pass everybody.it a false sense of achievement.

Yep. same here. My wife wants our children educated in the West so they end up with as little of the thai 'cheat instead of study' mindset as possible.

• Like 1

No? No you agree that you can't put a price on providing the best education for your children, or no you don't agree with me that you shouldn't?

I like Thailand. I am pro Thailand. I am in education. Yes you can put a price on educating your children.

There was no school in Thailand when I moved back to the West that could educate my children to my standard at any price. There were 4 or 5 in the West at variety of prices. I chose a mid range one.

• Like 1

I like Thailand. I am pro Thailand. I am in education. Yes you can put a price on educating your children.

There was no school in Thailand when I moved back to the West that could educate my children to my standard at any price. There were 4 or 5 in the West at variety of prices. I chose a mid range one.

nothing has changed.still all about cheating and nobody can score zero even if they do nothing and make no effort.its really a sad stat of affairs in 2013 to agree to put ur babies through that system. if you have the chance, and you can afford it, then i sugest to educate them abroad.

im not thailand bashing, but if you are honest, the education here is a joke.

• Like 1

We are currently looking at schools in the West for my children for the same reason. Which school did you end up choosing as any advice would be helpful for them?

Edited by Kananga