Airport Taxis on Three Day Strike

khwaibah

Airport Taxis on Three Day Strike – not happy about new fees imposed on them Sep 6, 2013

Others

CityNews – Around 100 Chiang Mai Airport metered taxis are presently on strike in protest against the new fees they have been asked to pay.

1378459773.jpg

The taxi company is Nakorn Lanna Deon Rod Cooperative, but it is the concessionaire, Jed Yod Brothers Company, that has increased the fees from 7,500 baht per month to 9,500 baht, as well as another 20,000 baht a year. The drivers have said this is just not acceptable.

The strike started on 4th September at 5.15 p.m. when drivers and their cars gathered at Baan Pak Tadsanojorn on Mahidol Road. They will stay there for 3 days.

Mods move if needed.

There do indeed seem to be some economic storm clouds on the horizon with occasional small showers these days. I suggest that there will be more and more local "economic adjustments" made in the near and mid-term because of larger changes in the Thai economy.

• Like 1

There are 2 types of taxi at CM Airport - presumably this is the yellow ones.

I assume the (mostly) silver ones aren't involved.

Maybe just a try at pushing the "metered" ones out - as there sure are a lot of taxis at the airport.

I think the silver ones pay directly to the AOT although maybe wrong on that. Whereas the yellow ones are a private concession.

• Like 1

There do indeed seem to be some economic storm clouds on the horizon with occasional small showers these days. I suggest that there will be more and more local "economic adjustments" made in the near and mid-term because of larger changes in the Thai economy.

The bubble could burst very soon now.

The bubble could burst very soon now.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Elektrified,

I wonder if the word "implode" might be more apt ?

~o:37;

Don't hold your breath, a lot more can be done with bubble gum and bailing wire, just look at the magic it accomplished in the US and Europe.

To be fair, I don't blame them. If they have no control over the fixed price and using the meter would make it silly cheap, what else are they to do? They have to make a living and fuel ain't free. Even though town is close, it is still only 120 baht and can take 30mins to get there and back with all the loading/unloading.

• Like 1

They're more expensive even than Bangkok.

(Unless you want to compare the 10 minute drive in Chiang Mai with the trip downtown from Suvarnabhumi without looking at distance.)

And the fact that they don't use the meter, ever. And not just at the airport.

They're a complete rip off.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

The fares they charge are extremely reasonable, perhaps too low. The only way this will get resolved is higher fares. Hate to see the drivers get boned by the owners. They are good people.

Agree - I pay 150 Baht for a ride to a downtown hotel - nobody can say that is expensive

But wouldn't it cost less than half that in Bangkok?

The fares they charge are extremely reasonable, perhaps too low. The only way this will get resolved is higher fares. Hate to see the drivers get boned by the owners. They are good people.

Agree - I pay 150 Baht for a ride to a downtown hotel - nobody can say that is expensive

But wouldn't it cost less than half that in Bangkok?

After living for 9 years in Bangkok and a frequent taxi user the answer is YES. At the CM Arcade Bus Terminal you have to go through the ritual of bargaining to get home to Banwangtan,Hang Dong, they just don't like going there.300 baht gradually, after standing there for a few minutes,becomes 180-200 baht. They would rather sit there and play cards.

• Like 1

Not economic storm clouds. Just good old-fashioned capitalist exploitation when they think they can get away with it. The people renting out the cabs, why do they suddenly need 2000 baht more per cab per month? What has the local economy done to their poor pockets?

Hope the strike works, but doubt it will. Financial muscle in greedy companies always wins out.

I flew up yesterday from Bangkok and did notice a problem with getting a taxi, To be fair it still only took 10 minutes till I got one of the silver ones. hope they manage to sort it all out to everyones satisfaction.

It does sound like more revenue raising tactics from an overspending government

They're more expensive even than Bangkok.

(Unless you want to compare the 10 minute drive in Chiang Mai with the trip downtown from Suvarnabhumi without looking at distance.)

And the fact that they don't use the meter, ever. And not just at the airport.

They're a complete rip off.

Fuel is more expensive up here, not a lot, but it's true.

In bkk they get way more fares each day, so can afford to charge less, but in any case the charges are fixed by the government.

ALL tourist stuff is a rip-off. Rip-offs everywhere. You think it's a rip off here? Try getting somewhere in ko chang from the ferry terminal without being burned, same in samui, same in loads of places. Chiang mai is relatively a really mild kind gentle rip off!

• Like 1

Although they aren't metered, the CNX airport taxis have fixed rates which don't come close to the extortionate prices charged at other airports around the country.... I honestly don't understand the hate.

If I am flying into CNX on the last leg of a long journey, I certainly don't mind paying the premium for comfortable ride in aircon taxi.... when the other options would be a tuk tuk (rip off artists and unsafe), songthaews (slow, diesel belching, uncomfortable) or some kind of airport bus (which given the traffic conditions would also be slow).

Although the best option is to leave your car there and drive yourself home wink.png

At 200 baht a day leaving your car there isn't the best option at all.

tuk tuks and taxi will always try to rip you off at any airport in Thailand.i would try to avoid using them if possible,but sometimes I can not avoid.i like the train now in bkk,take the train and you get pretty much to where you need to go.then a short taxi ride if needed

Never had a problem with the taxis, set price and off you go.

Until last night!

Delayed flight from Singapore and with the yellow cabs on strike the Silver cabs wanted 300 baht to go to Wat Ket. This is WAY over normal. Truth be known i would have tipped that much at 1.30am but if they want to rob me at the get go the least they could do is give me the full show with a mask and gun.

Told them ever so politely to shovel sand up their collective arse, rang a tuk tuk guy i know came and picked me up and home for less than half.

Dare i say the money is not the issue, have no problem with farang pricing or double pricing but this was straight out capitalizing on a strike and the misfortune of delayed passengers.

A day ago i would have defended these guys as always had top and fair price service.....now parasites off their own. I will take the tuk from now on no problems it was an easy ride and once you have a relationship with a few drivers never had a problem calling one up.

Vultures pure and simple....with the emphasis on simple.

Edited by mamborobert