Should I expect my first marriage visa extension to be verified?

My previous 5 visa extensions were for work purposes and therefore linked directly to my work permit, because of this I decided to base my recent extension on marriage as I don't want my being allowed to stay based on always having a work permit. So I gave all the required paperwork to immigration last week and they gave me an 'under consideration' stamp and told to return to Mae Sai on Oct 30th as it has to be processed in Chiang Mai.

Everything in the application is true and correct but I'd still like to know if we should expect a visit, phone call or whatever as part of the process or whether that isn't usually the case? When doing a marriage extension for the first time did any of you ever get a visit or further questioning?

Thanks.

Can't speak of how it's commonly done but at my first marriage extension - which was in Chiang Mai (many years ago) - they only visited our neighbours to one side. We were running a shop and had doors wide open to the streets all that day, but we wouldn't have known about any visits, if our neighbours hadn't told us.

Bottom-line: it doesn't necessarily have to mean a thing if you don't hear or see anything to Immigration during your "under consideration" period.

They certainly visited us when I did my first extension last year. They were very nice and friendly. They gave the wife a form to fill in about having an alien living in her property, apparently this is the law.

Edited by KhonJaiYen

Well I can now answer my own question! This morning I got a phone call from an immigration officer asking me what time my wife finished work as he wanted to interview her, after speaking with me he said he'd call her. A different number called again about 3pm and asked where we both were as he wanted to interview us both, my wife was at the hotel where she works so I said I'd go there.

At 3.30pm a pick-up arrived and out get three immigration police officers with two laptops and a printer! They then proceeded to ask various questions and take pictures of us both and of one of them handing us leaflets, they also wanted the owner of the hotel to confirm she knew us and that we were married. We'd already provided our marriage certificate from 5yrs ago and our daughter's birth certificate but they still wanted a Thai to confirm this. They were actually very helpful though as I've recently started work but my work permit hasn't been processed yet, they said if it wasn't included in the application then it would be refused so they put on their form that I'm not working.

They were there for about an hour, were very friendly/helpful and one of them even told me about his four kids...from two different wives!!! They said they had everything they required and they didn't think there'd be any reason to have my application declined so I hope they're right smile.png

Well I can now answer my own question! This morning I got a phone call from an immigration officer asking me what time my wife finished work as he wanted to interview her, after speaking with me he said he'd call her. A different number called again about 3pm and asked where we both were as he wanted to interview us both, my wife was at the hotel where she works so I said I'd go there.

At 3.30pm a pick-up arrived and out get three immigration police officers with two laptops and a printer! They then proceeded to ask various questions and take pictures of us both and of one of them handing us leaflets, they also wanted the owner of the hotel to confirm she knew us and that we were married. We'd already provided our marriage certificate from 5yrs ago and our daughter's birth certificate but they still wanted a Thai to confirm this. They were actually very helpful though as I've recently started work but my work permit hasn't been processed yet, they said if it wasn't included in the application then it would be refused so they put on their form that I'm not working.

They were there for about an hour, were very friendly/helpful and one of them even told me about his four kids...from two different wives!!! They said they had everything they required and they didn't think there'd be any reason to have my application declined so I hope they're right smile.png

A story I like to read...someone doing their visa business by the book. I have lived in LOS for over a decade and always legally and have never been turned down for a visa for which I was entitled to and met the requirements for. I'm sure your case will be no different. Good luck.

• Like 1

Interesting. When you went in to apply, did you have to bring in signed witness forms with photos of the witness signing the form? If so I wonder why they wanted another. Maybe since you didn't have the interview at your home where they could see that you did in fact live together got them suspicious. .

Interesting. When you went in to apply, did you have to bring in signed witness forms with photos of the witness signing the form? If so I wonder why they wanted another. Maybe since you didn't have the interview at your home where they could see that you did in fact live together got them suspicious. .

Witnesses are asked for at a very small number of offices and is done differently at each one.

OP did not need them.

Witnesses are asked for at a very small number of offices and is done differently at each one.

OP did not need them.

Correct, my original application didn't require any witness forms.