Thammasat divided over student uniforms

webfact

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

I fail to see the connection here between wearing uniforms and having sex.

You obviously haven't seen how short those skirts can get.

post-54430-0-38161200-1378786934_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The move came after students protested against the Faculty of Science's insistence on uniforms by producing posters of two students in uniform having sex.

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Chrissy Amphlett used the school uniform well when she sang "I touch myself"

Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young.

I once worked at a rural university and when I explained the dress code to my daughter who was in a uni in Scotland she was horrified and said if they were required to wear uniform no one would attended lectures.

Later i was teaching in a technical school in Nth. Isan where wearing uniform was all although at times the school was more a zoo because of the way the students behaved. However as long as they came to school properly dressed and looked like little angels in public all was well.

It was all show and no substance.

My wife is a former Thammasat student who graduated in the early 90s and she tells me she never wore a school uniform to class. Even back then it was optional. Too bad more universities here aren't as enlightened. It's a stupid tradition and just breeds the herd mentality that is so common here.

Early 90s?....How many lady boys or punks were in that school in that time? Now we are in the 21 Century.

Many people would prefers to have sex with student in uniform than without.

I would.

Why not single out some celebrity names that the world knows and not just from your country?

Well you seemed to know who they were, and where they came from !

How dare he quote names of celebrities from his own country, has never happened on TV before !

• Like 1

uniforms dictate some amount of discipline - its just a dress code that exists, along side other "codes" that demand to exist in an educational institute.

But i fail to see the point being made here about uniforms leading to "non-creativity". Creativity has to come from the way in education is delivered, how teachers decide to use tools available to them and so on....

..... this is probably just another campaign where "ready to use" reasoning is available to "NOT" wear uniforms!

Oooohhhh, slippery ads, slippery campaign and slippery terrain. Not a good idea, especially coming from that university. Thammasat University was the stage of one of the most violent massacres in Thai history back in 1976... I am not judging anyone here, just pointing out the fact.

I don't know if it is only me, but from my life experience I very much get the impression that academic high school students tend to provocative actions and deeds and thoughts that overcomplicate life and situations without reason more than "normal" people. I remember back in my army years that trainees coming straight from high school, the so-called "academics" were the most embarrassing and complicated ones. Always intervening, disturbing, asking stupid questions, erratic reasoning, etc... all the way to the point where they get punished just like a child that is asking for a flogging, pushing mom and dad to the breaking point, intentionally.

Personally, I like student uniforms and think it is a great way to prevent all those "look, at me, look at my expensive brand clothes, I am better off than you" rich das/poor dad show up discrimination problems that are part of everyday student life in western cultures. It is already bad enough that students in Thailand see and talk about what kind of car the parents of each individual school kid ride to gossip and badmouth about it if, especially it is just a 2nd hand Toyota pickup or "worse".

In a country like Thailand, where most people feel compelled to having to show what they got, student uniforms are a great way to prevent additional problems that this hip and new HiSo culture has put on the table.

Keep the uniforms!!!!!!!!!

I am perfectly happy to send my two daughters to school wearing their rather frumpy school uniforms.

I don't want them to wear outfits which accentuate their female charms and turn them into eye candy.

The reasons are fairly obvious, even if the students at Tammasat University are unable to see them.

Children are at school to study, not have sex. Anything which distracts from learning and encourages undesirable behavior should be discouraged – including provocative clothes.

Thailand is already paying an unacceptable price for sex at school.

In 2009, the number of students who got pregnant in a single year passed the 10,000 mark for the first time.

Even though the overall birthrate has been dropping, teen births are rising. Fifty-four out of every 1,000 babies born in Thailand have mothers aged 15-19. That's more than in the United States and ten times higher than in Singapore.

School uniforms, short haircuts and any other sensible measures to take sex out of the classroom and prevent young lives being ruined by unwanted pregnancy get my vote.

The argument of uniforms being necessary to over come the "look, at me, look at my expensive brand clothes, I am better off than you etc " is a nonsense, bullsh1t and a flawed argument.

If standardising uniforms overcomes " the I'm better than you argument" , then the extension of this argument is surely : -

1. no students is to drive a car onto campus exceeding Bht200 000 value or motor cycle exceeding Bht50 000,

2. no students is allowed to be very attractive

3. no student to excel in any sport or other pursuit

4. no student is allowed to be above average intelligence

5. no student is allowed to speak more than 1 language

6. no student is to bring or wear any expensive jewellry of carry any expensive hand bag or briefcase on campus

7. all school uniforms must be purchased at BigC / Lotus - no tailor made uniforms are allowed on campus

etc

Makes the uniform standard being enforced as the panacea of equality a bit stupid don't you think?

In life people need to understand and accept that some people have more - money, looks, intelligence, skills, etc. Learn to live with it - most of the world does.

• Like 1

I am perfectly happy to send my two daughters to school wearing their rather frumpy school uniforms.

I don't want them to wear outfits which accentuate their female charms and turn them into eye candy.

The reasons are fairly obvious, even if the students at Tammasat University are unable to see them.

Children are at school to study, not have sex. Anything which distracts from learning and encourages undesirable behavior should be discouraged – including provocative clothes.

Thailand is already paying an unacceptable price for sex at school.

In 2009, the number of students who got pregnant in a single year passed the 10,000 mark for the first time.

Even though the overall birthrate has been dropping, teen births are rising. Fifty-four out of every 1,000 babies born in Thailand have mothers aged 15-19. That's more than in the United States and ten times higher than in Singapore.

School uniforms, short haircuts and any other sensible measures to take sex out of the classroom and prevent young lives being ruined by unwanted pregnancy get my vote.

Doesn't seem to be working does it - uniforms are currently enforced and pregnancies continue to rise - so how do you explain this fact.

Back in the 70's Thammasat university had a demonstration and tried to block people from going in and around the campus. The army was called in brought in the helicopter gunships and bang, bang no more protests. Times have changed and i still love those uniforms. Sorry if off topic a little.

A woman in a maids uniform, leather or a school uniform, it all personal choice for your fantasy.

Chrissy Amphlett used the school uniform well when she sang "I touch myself"

Oh and for the gay community there is Angus Young.

Why not single out some celebrity names that the world knows and not just from your country?

Sorry but could only think of aussie ones, AC/DC and the Divinyls are only small local aussie pub bands I know, but the only ones I know of where members wear school uniforms.

Edited by chooka

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University responded to student pressure on Monday, announcing that the wearing of student uniforms in class was not compulsory.

Welcoming Thailand to the mid-20th century. thumbsup.gif

Only a half dozen more decades to catch up now.

A rather ludicrous statement considering the often foul behavior of many university students in farangland.

Every country and society has its pros and cons. The idea that Thailand is generally worse or somehow far

behind other countries is quite nonsensical -- although it seems to be a popular idea among TV members.

What a joke the science dean saying discipline is needed when carrying on experiments and the uniform is discipline itself. 99% of real science minds would oppose the stupidity of wearing uniforms.

There's zero relationship between discipline and uniform, uniform is just a show. Talking about preparing for work dress code..., I say @&$# you and your dress code! As a technical guy I rejected any job offer that imposed a dress code, it's all about knowledge not about wearing a suit so you can mask your ineptitude with it. Grrr

"The stupidity of wearing uniforms..."

I suppose you'd prefer that Thailand conformed to the norms of your home country.

Think about it... If Thailand did that it would cease to be Thailand and most farangs

now living and vacationing here would no longer have a reason to be here.

A rather starkly morbid idea, don't you think?

However, Science Faculty dean Pakorn said faculty administrators had met and decided that the inculcation of order is important, as students must be disciplined when carrying out scientific experiments. The wearing of uniforms is an index of discipline, he added.

The old "Outward appearance is everything" crap. "If you look the the part ... everything is fine" And this retard is a "Science Dean"

Buddha help Thailand!

I think they look very nice.

Yes indeed. Also very seductive when they don't wear knickers "as quite a few don't"

Teachers become very distracted when the girls in the front row are so attired.

If this last fact was more widely known I am sure the shortage of teachers would be over in an instant. In fact it would take a very strong minded teacher to remember the subject matter in the face of such distraction. I am no good as I am weak, and besides I would have to get my pacemaker reset.

But, hey, as a bystander with a reset pacemaker I am all in favour of these uniforms. The education sucks anyway but the uniforms..........they are first class.

Sorry, I'm not going to read all the posts before posting, so apologies if I'm repeating anyone...

Usually I read a lot of intelligent and thoughtful posts on Thai Visa, but it seems that the issue of whether uniforms instill discipline has been easily overshadowed by the issue of how cute the girls look in these uniforms. Sadly, a potentially interesting debate has been killed by the rampaging (or limping) testosterone of most of the commenters.

Call me a kiljoy, but it makes me wonder again why a lot of you are here.

Sorry, I'm not going to read all the posts before posting, so apologies if I'm repeating anyone...

Usually I read a lot of intelligent and thoughtful posts on Thai Visa, but it seems that the issue of whether uniforms instill discipline has been easily overshadowed by the issue of how cute the girls look in these uniforms. Sadly, a potentially interesting debate has been killed by the rampaging (or limping) testosterone of most of the commenters.

If you have to wonder then you have lived a very sheltered life.

In my case the limping testosterone sometimes raises a gallop when I see these pretty young things in their short skirted uniforms. Whether the uniforms improve their minds, grades I wouldn't know but they certainly improve my quality of life here.bah.gif

The students are trying to say that they are mature enough to have sex, mature enough to think for themselves, and are tired of being dressed up as children like they were in grade school.

seems simple enough a connection to me.

I agree with you. Some have sugessted that the uniforms keep teachers from being aroused by students' sexy attire. Any worthwhile teacher doesn't see a student as "fair game."

In my opinion, anyone suggesting a school uniform is sexy is a borderline pedo.