swimming pool

yveric50

looking for help ! we have an in ground

swimming pool in Phayao and have a leak, surely a pvc pipe. The company who build the pool 3 years ago (create five swimming pool chiang mai) does not give any answer and we do not know how to solve our problem. If You have any suggestion, thank you. (siam pool too busy, pool doctor = no answer)

I had the same thing happen to me a month ago and did some digging around where the 2 inch pipes entered the pool to find some wetness and dug further and found a broken 90 degree fitting had broke............more digging and had to drain the pool about half way so the pipe would be dry enough to take some PVC cement.

I think that it was the earth movement from being dry to wet when the rains came and clay soil expanding.

no easy job, but I'm sure that you'll find the same thing. Hopefully you have a good memory of where the pipes go or a schematic of the plumbing.

Good luck.............

Best idea is to let the water leak out until it stops leaking. Then at least you know how far you have to dig. Do this after you have checked out, the more obvious spots.

You could also use you ph test liquid and put a little very close to your outlets and inlets. If the liquid moves into the pipe you have found your leak.

Edited by skills32

I note the post above about a broken fitting causing a leak. it is quite likely a low quality fitting.

I have to warn anyone having any building project done to specify EXACTLY AND IN FULL DETAIL what fittings will be used.

Just today I was looking In a plastic pipe catalogue. For the bigger pipes at least there are three different thicknesses of wall, for narrower pipes I believe two.

If you don't specify, Thai workmen will regularly spoil and endanger a job by saving just a few baht.

At our condo building they have ugly aluminium pipe clips everywhere. Thèy get bent and look nasty. A proper plastic matching clip is just 36 baht for a large four inch pipe.

Just write it all down, and check it.

Good luck with your leak....

Edited by cheeryble

Thank You. I know I have to open the ground and check the pipes and eventually change one or repair, but I can't do that myself, that why I am looking for some company or builders coming to do the job, and in Phayao it's not easy.

I think you will find that in Thailand you will have to do some things yourself if you want to get the job done and get it done properly. In 6 years we have not found a plumber that could do a better job than myself or my g/f. And we have had about 4 different plumbers come. They either can't figure out the problem, or do a crappy job, use cheap parts that break in 3 months time, make a mess, can't patch up a hole properly, etc., etc. We've been trying to get someone to re-glaze a bay window for about a year now but nobody can do it. If I had 6 meter ladder I may try that myself too.

• Like 1

#4 ' For the bigger pipes at least there are three different thicknesses of wall, for narrower pipes I believe two. If you don't specify, Thai workmen will regularly spoil and endanger a job by saving just a few baht.'

I was somewhat taken aback at the fact that in a popular housing estate the company was using the cheapest, thinnest water pipes in a new house build. Having caught that early on, I had the thickest pipes delivered directly to the workmen who set to work uninstalling the little they'd done and then re-installing, with a tip on the side. It's not the workmen, it's their boss or the company contracting the various trades.

It's more than a jungle out there...sad.png

Did Siam pools build your pool?? I only ask because you seem to want to poo poo their after sales service.

My pool is Siam pools and I find their service excellent. I have friends that also have their pools and they too have had repairs done with speed and competence. A ten year guarantee comes with all their builds.

Can you clarify?

If not Siam pools that built for you, then they may not want to get involved as there are a lot of poor quality builds out there. Which is fair enough.

Yveric....

presumably you have checked there is no leak in the pool machine room or anywhere visible.

That means a leak must come from the pool structure itself or undergound water connections.

If you have no reason to suspect the pool structure that leaves a limited number of possibilities.

You can try running the pump for 24 hours.

If you visibly lose more water with it on than off it is likely the plumbing connections not the pool.

If you have underground runs to the balance tank maybe you can isolate them with valves and again check water drop?

If it is only a plumbing leak you don't actually need pool experts.

Maybe possible to hire a sensible workman to carefully expose all connections?

(Pay him by the day, not for the job, or pay a bonus for when the leak is discovered and fixed and water loss stopped.....and give him a little hand spade or trowel for when he's exposing the junctions, like an archaeologist......you don't want him hurrying and causing more damage)

Unfortunately rainy season may not show you damp areas as it may all be damp........how much water arè you losing and where are you seeing the loss?.....enough to make a leaking pipe joint easily visible?

Edited by cheeryble

Did Siam pools build your pool?? I only ask because you seem to want to poo poo their after sales service.

My pool is Siam pools and I find their service excellent. I have friends that also have their pools and they too have had repairs done with speed and competence. A ten year guarantee comes with all their builds.

Can you clarify?

If not Siam pools that built for you, then they may not want to get involved as there are a lot of poor quality builds out there. Which is fair enough.

What can he clarify? I only ask because from the OP - "The company who build the pool 3 years ago (create five swimming pool chiang mai)'

Yveric.... presumably you have checked there is no leak in the pool machine room or anywhere visible. That means a leak must come from the pool structure itself or undergound water connections. If you have no reason to suspect the pool structure that leaves a limited number of possibilities. You can try running the pump for 24 hours. If you visibly lose more water with it on than off it is likely the plumbing connections not the pool. If you have underground runs to the balance tank maybe you can isolate them with valves and again check water drop? If it is only a plumbing leak you don't actually need pool experts. Maybe possible to hire a sensible workman to carefully expose all connections? (Pay him by the day, not for the job, or pay a bonus for when the leak is discovered and fixed and water loss stopped.....and give him a little hand spade or trowel for when he's exposing the junctions, like an archaeologist......you don't want him hurrying and causing more damage) Unfortunately rainy season may not show you damp areas as it may all be damp........how much water arè you losing and where are you seeing the loss?.....enough to make a leaking pipe joint easily visible?

This is good advice. I seriously doubt you will get a swimming pool contractor to come all the way to Phayao just to repair a leak (without charging you an arm and a leg). It's pretty simple stuff. If you don't want to do it yourself just get a guy who fits pipes to come and do as cheeryble suggested. Just be sure to supervise the work.

Can you clarify?

What can he clarify? I only ask because from the OP - "The company who build the pool 3 years ago (create five swimming pool chiang mai)'

I didn't recognize the company he mentioned. I wasn't even sure it was a company or a statement. Hehe.

I asked for clarification because he said Siam pools isn't interested in after sales service or offering basic services. To mention their lack of after sales suggests he had bought the pool from them in a sense. Unless he means that Siam pools isn't interested in providing after sales service for other companies pools.

In a nutshell, Siam pools does offer good services, and good after sales service to customers that have had their pools built by Siam pools. So I'm just pointing that out, as I think it's a bit unfair of him to slam their service just because they don't want to go all the way to phayao to fix a leaky pipe from some other companies build.