Getting Usa Citizenship

Someone mentioned that from Marriage to Naturalization, the time was 6 years for a Thai to become an American citizen. I was wonderning, if anyone has a breakdown of what the 6 years are spent waiting for.

I'm marrying a woman so she can become an American citizen. Does 6 years need to be spent in the states for her to become an American citizen? Or can it simply be married for 6years, living in Thailand? Your help is apperciated.

--matt

You may be referring to my post where I stated for my wife, the process took about 6 years. There is no set amount of time for someone married to a US citizen to become a US citizen. In fact, many people decide never to pursue a US citizenship even though they are allowed to. In general, to become a US citizen your spouse will need to become a permanent resident of the US before the naturalization process can start. And then after that she will need to live in the US for a certain amount of time. I suggest you read the Guide to Naturalization which will explain what is required to become a US citizen. Be aware that if you are in the US Military, the requirement for residing in the US are less restrictive. After reading the Guide to Naturalization, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Check out this link:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm

and this link for the guide itself:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

mmm.... agreed.

It is people who "marry someone so they can get citizenship" that make it harder for people in legitimate relationships :o

First step is permanent residency (green card) which is conditional for the first two years (ie. you must go into an immigration office after two years to have the conditional status changed --you must prove you are in a legitimate relationship at this point). then, after 5 years of PR she would be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Be aware that PR requires the person to be in the country--they cannot be out of the country for more than a year at a time (or two years with a special application). If the person is out of the country for longer than the allowed period they forfeit their PR status.

Yes she has to live in the US and can be absent like SBK said above.

Also be prepare to show them.... that this is a legitimate relationships, otherwise she can get deported eventhough she has temp greencard.

In addition, they will want to see both of your names on the house title or apartment rental agreement and on the utilities bills, expecially they would want to see the last 2 yrs of the US bank statement with activities on them. These are just the few..

mmm.... agreed.

It is people who "marry someone so they can get citizenship" that make it harder for people in legitimate relationships :o

First step is permanent residency (green card) which is conditional for the first two years (ie. you must go into an immigration office after two years to have the conditional status changed --you must prove you are in a legitimate relationship at this point). then, after 5 years of PR she would be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Be aware that PR requires the person to be in the country--they cannot be out of the country for more than a year at a time (or two years with a special application). If the person is out of the country for longer than the allowed period they forfeit their PR status.

From the Guide to Naturalization that I provided:

"If you:

Are currently married to and living with a U.S. citizen

AND

Have been married to and living with that same U.S.

citizen for the past 3 years

AND

Your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the past 3 years"

Time as Permanent Resident - 3 years. I extracted this from page 18 (the pdf page 22) of the guide.

The 5 years of PR you are referring to are for those that are not applying for naturalization based on being married to a US citizen. Since it took my wife almost 2 years after we were married in the US to get her permanent residence, we had to wait 3 more years after that before applying for her naturalization. So for us the following was our timeline:

Oct 1999 we married.

Oct 2001 received conditional PR.

Aug 2003 applied for the removal of conditional status.

Mar 2004 received PR without condition that expires Oct 2011.

Nov 2004 applied for citizenship.

Jan 2005 provided fingerprints and passed the English and Civics tests.

Apr 2005 had interview but needed to provide additional information.

Mar 2006 oath ceremony and received naturalization certificate.