6 year old girl scarred for life after dog attack at North Pattaya construction site

webfact

6 year old girl scarred for life after dog attack at North Pattaya construction site

PATTAYA: -- A 6 year old girl is expected to be scarred for life after an attack by a dog at a North Pattaya Construction Site.

The incident occurred at 4.30pm on Friday at the site in Soi 14 off the Naklua Road. The parents of the child were working at the time and had left their child in their temporary dwelling.

The child enjoyed playing with dogs at the campsite and saw that one of them had just given birth. The girl, who was unaware of the danger due to her young age, approached the new mother and her puppies.

The new mother was understandably protective towards her newborn and is thought to have interpreted the child’s actions as a threat and proceeded to attack the girl who sustained a deep laceration to her cheek and cuts to both her arms.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/102560/6-year-girl-scarred-life-dog-attack-north-pattaya-construction-site/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-09-14

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many stray dogs in Bangkok and rest of Thailand in general. I have more than once been almost attacked by street dogs. I was once chased by a pack of dogs when jogging down the road in a residential area. The dogs retreated when I picked up some rocks and started to throw at them. Unfortunately too many animal lovers here feeding the street dogs and culling would be out of the question.

• Like 2

Too many stray dogs in Bangkok and rest of Thailand in general. I have more than once been almost attacked by street dogs. I was once chased by a pack of dogs when jogging down the road in a residential area. The dogs retreated when I picked up some rocks and started to throw at them. Unfortunately too many animal lovers here feeding the street dogs and culling would be out of the question.

I think you might find that those were not street dogs, often in residential area's they leave dogs outside to roam free but care for them. Running is a good way to attract dogs, its in their nature.

Here in our village there are at least 10 dogs living free that do belong to someone and even I let my dog out to roam free for say 20 minutes at a time in the park in front of the house (on times there are not many ppl around)

• Like 1

I think you might find that those were not street dogs, often in residential area's they leave dogs outside to roam free but care for them. Running is a good way to attract dogs, its in their nature.

Here in our village there are at least 10 dogs living free that do belong to someone and even I let my dog out to roam free for say 20 minutes at a time in the park in front of the house (on times there are not many ppl around)

So obviously if your dog is let loose and unattended, it would be the parents fault if it bit a 6 year old child.

Whether the dogs are stray or owned by someone, they should not be allowed to roam freely.

In both instances the dogs should be rounded up in order to keep the streets clean and safe.

• Like 1

So obviously if your dog is let loose and unattended, it would be the parents fault if it bit a 6 year old child.

Whether the dogs are stray or owned by someone, they should not be allowed to roam freely.

In both instances the dogs should be rounded up in order to keep the streets clean and safe.

I doubt the Thais see it this way, good luck trying to change that.

But yes I would be at fault if my dog attacked someone that is only logical. Unless of course they caused it by attacking it. But the parents are at fault for letting her kid come to the dog with puppies. its normal for those to protect and a 6 year old kid should not be out alone

• Like 2

not surprised. I once was attacked by a dog gang on the way to Pattaya bus station at 5 am. Ran across the highway to the other side, in the hopes that the dogs would follow. Lots of traffic. That pretty much saved me.

I was once followed by a group of dogs on samui when we got out at night after fishing.. not sure if they were soi dogs or owned dogs.. It was pretty scary. In the end we found a picup and got on there were 3 of us. Knowing now what i know about dogs I would have been smarter about it running and acting scared only helps them. Other then that never had any problems with dogs here.

But yes I would be at fault if my dog attacked someone that is only logical. Unless of course they caused it by attacking it. But the parents are at fault for letting her kid come to the dog with puppies. its normal for those to protect and a 6 year old kid should not be out alone

I agree that a 6 year old kid should not be out alone, but by the same token and following your post 'I doubt the Thais see it that way' whistling.gif .

In your post you mention that you let your dog out for about 20 mins when there are not many people about.

This leads me to believe that you take care of your dog and do have a concern that your dog is not a nuisance.

A dog does need to be let off the leash every so often, so that it can get the excersise that it needs to stay healthy.

However, a dog that is always left to roam the streets freely (owned or not) in my eyes is a stray and has the potential to cause harm.

We also have many feral dogs running wild in our village and they really are a nuisance.

Thais do not seem to grasp the concept that if I wanted a dog, i would buy my own.

• Like 2

I agree that a 6 year old kid should not be out alone, but by the same token and following your post 'I doubt the Thais see it that way' whistling.gif .

In your post you mention that you let your dog out for about 20 mins when there are not many people about.

This leads me to believe that you take care of your dog and do have a concern that your dog is not a nuisance.

A dog does need to be let off the leash every so often, so that it can get the excersise that it needs to stay healthy.

However, a dog that is always left to roam the streets freely (owned or not) in my eyes is a stray and has the potential to cause harm.

We also have many feral dogs running wild in our village and they really are a nuisance.

Thais do not seem to grasp the concept that if I wanted a dog, i would buy my own.

Of course i monitor my dog and keep the door open if i hear it bark im out there.. I can see the park if i walk 5 meters. I am not going to let people be bothered with my dog. When there are many people i take him on a leash for a walk.

Like you and I agree on Thais see things differently when it comes to dog, and you are right they would probably see it different for the kid too. Here the dogs that roam free are not really pests sure they will at times bark at people or follow them (not in groups). There is one dog that always barks at me and follows me.. I don't care much about that as i now know dogs and know when they can be dangerous.

Dogs do have a potential to cause harm that is for sure and I am not sure that I would not like groups of dogs ganging up on people (as i said happened to me once). But otherwise they are harmless as long as they dont get in front of my bike or car. But its just one of the things we need to live with in Thailand.

Poor kid, seems to be happening a lot more now or else it is being reported more.

What is happening a lot more ? Unattended child touching a mother dog who just gave birth?

Anyone with common sense knows what xen means.

I would have thought anyone with common sense would not leave a 6 year old alone with soi dogs, let alone let her play with a mother dog after giving birth.

I guess I do not have as much common sense as some VERY sensible posters

Anyone with common sense would not be a construction worker in grinding poverty who has to leave the child in order to work for just enough calories to keep the child nourished. Poor people just have no common sense.

Sad.

This is another case to counter the soppy outpourings of the 'poor soi dog brigade'. The vermin should be killed unless they are penned on their owners' land.

You so right. Stupid dog is minding its own business, a smart human goes to annoy it and its the dogs fault.

Who said it was the dog's fault? The article makes it clear it was not, "The girl, who was unaware of the danger due to her young age, approached the new mother and her puppies."

Sorry but in this case I don't blame the dogs but the patents. Its natural for any animal to protects its young. Clearly an accident. Quite different from a gang of soi dogs acting aggressive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I blame the parents, also. They should know better than to be poor.

Poor kid, seems to be happening a lot more now or else it is being reported more.

What is happening a lot more ? Unattended child touching a mother dog who just gave birth?

Anyone with common sense knows what xen means.

I would have thought anyone with common sense would not leave a 6 year old alone with soi dogs, let alone let her play with a mother dog after giving birth.

I guess I do not have as much common sense as some VERY sensible posters

Read the report again. The incident took place on a construction site. No-one left the child with a nursing dog. Whilst I agree that parents should take care of their children, the children should not be at risk from diseased and aggressive dogs.

Sorry but in this case I don't blame the dogs but the patents. Its natural for any animal to protects its young. Clearly an accident. Quite different from a gang of soi dogs acting aggressive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, the dogs can't be blamed for what the are but kill them all and there will be no more attacks from them.

Read this and see how dangerous any uncared for dog can be. Again, deal with the dogs not people, other than the owners.