"Selling" to the Thai market

I have developed a new kind of company and I want to sell franchises. I think the target is Thais. Its not an insignificant investment--about 2 million baht.

I spoke to Sunbelt but they seem more focused on the farang market.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where this kind of opportunity can be advertised and promoted?

i would start with a website and youtube video in thai explaining the business in thai and put a poster up in your business location. can't sunbelt recommend a thai firm if they are only interested in farang customers? maybe start pm'ing all the guys starting topics about "starting a restaurant/bar/coffee shop".

one last thing, what would the benefit be of starting a franchise with you be over just starting the business by themselves?

i would start with a website and youtube video in thai explaining the business in thai and put a poster up in your business location. can't sunbelt recommend a thai firm if they are only interested in farang customers? maybe start pm'ing all the guys starting topics about "starting a restaurant/bar/coffee shop".

one last thing, what would the benefit be of starting a franchise with you be over just starting the business by themselves?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did manage to find a company in Thailand that specializes in selling franchises to Thais. Website is all in Thai but I managed to get an appointment and will visit them next week.

I mean, generally franchises offer the franchise an established brand. for whatever reason, customers like going to the same places. it's funny cause you take the biggest franchisers, SUBWAY, and their product is total garbage (I guess in Thailand you have very limited options for subs), your local American Sub Shop is sooooo much better.... yet people pay and arm and a leg for the SUBWAY brand name and it's completely inferior product.

WOW...you have spent 2 million baht on your business venture but before commencing didn't even put together a basic business plan that identified how you would market and distribute you product?

Oh well...the good thing about failure is that it requires no preparation.

WOW...you have spent 2 million baht on your business venture but before commencing didn't even put together a basic business plan that identified how you would market and distribute you product?

You obviously don't know Bruce or his business (and businesses). :whistling:

You obviously don't know Bruce or his business (and businesses). whistling.gif

I don't care if he is Bill Gates reincarnate. If he hasn't put his mind to the issues of marketing and distribution prior to capital investment he is a numpty.

Edited by Phronesis

He hasn't. the franchises will cost an initial investment of around 2m.

I know Bruce, some of his businesses (one is the World's largest global provider in that field), and can guess at which one of his successful businesses he is looking to franchise.

Yeah, a numpty. :D

I just sold my motorbike. I advertised in both Thai and English. I placed advertisements in farangi locations and on the internet.

All enquiries I received were from Thais in response to the Thai ad on one particular website. I don't know if I am allowed to put the name up here but it is not a competitor to Thaivisa as it's in Thai. It's name is dealfish. You want the Thai site.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the thaifranchisecenter (US Commercial Services had made that suggestion only a few days ago) and dealfish, which I knew about but, oddly, never considered. I will give it a try.

For those interested, this is a totally new area for me, so I literally spent the first year experimenting and perfecting things. Its taken some interesting turns.

Its a:

Music school, with live teachers but also all the exclusive, proprietary lessons are from the US and on video, tablets and online, both to support the teachers and to allow the students to review the lesson at home via Moodle.

Level testing for each instrument.

Al the students are put into bands and they are pushed to perform. This gives them social interaction with other kids and motivation to practice.

Here is an example:

After they have been performing we send them to the studio and have their songs recorded and professionally mixed by a prominent producer (formerly for both Sony BMG and Grammy). Here is an example of a band of kids 14 to 16 years old.

https://soundcloud.com/soundsocietythailand/memories-of-you-by-superteens

The songs have turned out pretty well so we can get them on the radio.

We produce music videos too, as well as our own TV show which can be shown on local cable.

We have our own line of musical instruments (King USA) and also sell other select brands at the school.

I am sure I am leaving some details out but thats the gist of it.

• Like 1

get listed on as many franchise websites as possible, e.g. www.thaifranchisecenter.com, www.franchise.org, www.franchise-chat.com, www.fsathai.org

book a booth at the next Thai Franchise & SME Expo (March 2014), and check date (and book booth) at the next Thailand Franchise & Business Opportunities

contact the uni business schools and ask to present to the last year students (make it educational about franchising/entrepreneurship in general)
you probably did this already but if not before going too far down the franchising route (and giving up the best geographies) do the calcs to check if it is better to fund the 2 million organically (or with new funding from outside) and therefore keep all the profits (not just royalties) less the cost of the capital used
good luck

Look out for exhibitions or conventions whose nature is relevant to the products you're promoting, either at BITEC, QSNCC or IMPACT.

Invest in a booth and perhaps one or two "Pretty" to sell your products in Thai language.

Whats a PRETTY? Using Pretties distracts from the product. I suggest using UGLIES!

I mean, generally franchises offer the franchise an established brand. for whatever reason, customers like going to the same places. it's funny cause you take the biggest franchisers, SUBWAY, and their product is total garbage (I guess in Thailand you have very limited options for subs), your local American Sub Shop is sooooo much better.... yet people pay and arm and a leg for the SUBWAY brand name and it's completely inferior product.

If subway sold SHIT there wouldnt be a subway! 49 baht for a ham sanwich isnt an arm and a leg. 113 baht for tuna meal deal also isnt an arm and a leg.

Lots of differences from the main-stream music schools, both in pricing and costs. If you can get 80 students you will earn a profit of about 90,000 per month. Cost to the student is the same if not less per hour.

I want to open 50 in Thailand, 200 in China and 50 in other SEA countries. Doing that would require huge outside investment. I am not dead set on franchising but that seems like the best model.