Koh Samui for New Years

Thinking of going to Samui (never been) for the holidays from Saturday the 28th of December to Saturday the 4th of January.

I will be driving and I will have my wife and 10 year old with me, I would like to know:

What area should I stay in?

What hotels in the area are good? (prefer on the beach, with a pool)

What things there are to do on or around the Island?

Anything we should not miss while we are there?

Anything we SHOULD miss while we are there?

Any reasons I would NOT want to go?

Thanks!

Yes, I live in Thailand. I assumed I could drive, there is an auto-ferry, yes?

I don't have a minmum budget, but I'd rather not spend more that 6K a night is I can get away with it.

Kid loves anything on the beach and not real concerned with what the wife wants....

• Like 1

As a decade long resident of Koh Samui I can tell you weather is very dicy every New Year so check with Thai weather reports.

Frankly I don't know what you will do with a 10 year old child during these very inebriated holidays, especially if you are house bound with rain.

Stay away from Chawang.

Chok Dee to you and family.

As a decade long resident of Koh Samui I can tell you weather is very dicy every New Year so check with Thai weather reports.

Frankly I don't know what you will do with a 10 year old child during these very inebriated holidays, especially if you are house bound with rain.

Stay away from Chawang.

Chok Dee to you and family.

Typical monsoon is from mid October until early/mid December. That said the past few years the monsoon started late and lasted until near the end of December. It is very rare to have significant rain in January though. Signs for this year point to an earlier than average monsoon season, which would mean the monsoon rains may start early October and in that case most likely end late November or early December.

• Like 1

Avoid the north coast....unless you want winds and the highest tides of the year.

Have to agree with carmine....book asap.

It depends on which beach you are on or even what part of a beach.....on the north coast ..... yes some can be windy but by not going far the next beach maybe totally calm....

Example. Parts of Maenam beach may be a bit windy, but not always so on Ban Tai Beach or Ban Por beach (Ban Por is often over looked by visitors.... it's actually a very nice beach... with many different types of places to stay....You see a lot of families there thumbsup.gif )

Also high tides are not usually an issue except in November some times....

My opinion!

Avoid the north coast....unless you want winds and the highest tides of the year.

Have to agree with carmine....book asap.

It depends on which beach you are on or even what part of a beach.....on the north coast ..... yes some can be windy but by not going far the next beach maybe totally calm....

Example. Parts of Maenam beach may be a bit windy, but not always so on Ban Tai Beach or Ban Por beach (Ban Por is often over looked by visitors.... it's actually a very nice beach... with many different types of places to stay....You see a lot of families there thumbsup.gif )

Also high tides are not usually an issue except in November some times....

My opinion!

In fact having checked the dates for the full moon it seems likely the north coast will escape this New Year....not withstanding storms coming in from the South China Sea....ya takes ya chances!

Hey Guys, thanks for all the replies. What about Mid October? I know you get a lot of rain, but does it rain all day or is it more like Bangkok?

You never know in advance – can be extremely beautifull, but can also be rainy and windy.

• Like 1

Any decent fishing?

As I am not fishing, so I do not know what decent fishing is about. However, there are a number of fishing boats for tourists – seems to be well equipped – normally day tours. Thais love to fish in lakes, and there are some fishing lakes/ponds. Some fish from the beaches, both Thais and tourists.

• Like 1