Solar powered tuk-tuks coming to Bangkok

Lite Beer

whereas it

IS a good idea - silly comments like the "amount of sun" we have show how little people know about solar power.....for a start it wroks best at temps below 30 degrees..

So true: my solar panels work better during the rainy season than during the hot season.

Also made a solar powered pontoon boat (12 Volts) based on the same principle.

How's that pontoon boat working?

I have a 150watt solar panel and a few hulls (Kayak, inflatable, inflatable pontoon) that I'd like to try the solar route. If it works out, my plan (If I stay here long enough) is to take 2 kayaks and make a pontoon boat out of them, powered mostly by solar. I'd use the solar panel to charge the battery(s), not for power

It's basically working exactly like you plan to do it: solar panel(s) charge the battery using a solar charge controller. The motor runs directly off the battery, not directly off the solar panel. My nominal 12 Volts panel (35 Voc) is 120 Watts.

Same principle for the golf cart, but higher voltage and watts (of course).

The pontoon approach is the right one: this adds stability when the solar panel(s) double as roof.

• Like 1

I have a 2m X 15m roof over my outside rooms of my apartment where panels could be installed -, might be helpful in the long run however the upper 4 floors above me are set back and often get idiots throwing stuff down onto that roof - one time a full flower pot that just went thru the roof into my bedroom so have not done anything as yet. Direct sun until noon only - Not sure it would pay for itself, even if I could get the Bt to install something like that.

Any thoughts by you professionals??

Edited by snooky

@cobra;

That would be a peak draw of 15000+ watts(746 x 22). Even at speed the motor is going to need 5 to 10 hp or 5,500 watts (7.5 x 746)

Huh? Where's you get that figure from? Two 18 volt batteries will power a bike to 20 MPH. Look up crystalite bikes.

I quick check and this crystalite bike is 3000 watts power output

http://www.electricbike.com/crystalyte-hub-motor/

A bicycle racer for examples can win the tour de france with a max power generation of 500 watts

bicycles are much lighter weight than a tuk tuk which will need to carry multiple passengers and many batteries

Voltage is just force of the current.

Watts is the power measurement.

One could probably put a crystalyte hub at each wheel and get a peak output of 12,000 watts which is I think still too low to power a tuk tuk.

Still have to find a place to store all those watts and no way is it coming from any known solar technology.

Electric vehicles work but its just a question of where does that power come from and how where is it stored.

Whatever next, a solar powered torch? coffee1.gif Tuk tuks aren't only used in the day. Solar could top up but it needs to be some kind of plugin EV also with charging stations where tuk-tuks park up when awaiting passengers. Otherwise do it. Anything to reduce the noise pollution on Sukhimvit, and I really don't like the sound of horrible tuk-tuks revving up!

Having experimented with solar applications I can comfortably say that solar array on top of a tuk tuk would use more energy due to its weight and decreased aerodynamics than the energy it will provide.

Would be more cost effective to just set the money on fire.

Still electric tuk tuks would be good for noise and air quality in BKK etc.

It's a great idea if it will work.

Some on this thread seem doubtful.

It would be a great leap into the 21st century!

But how about a couple of leaps into the 20th century first?

Smog control devices on existing vehicles to reduce the high amount of air pollution.

Mufflers and exhaust systems on big Tuk tuks * and other vehicles to reduce the noise pollution.

These innovations have been around quite a while in other countries and would benefit the health and well being of the good people of Thailand. and the tourist industry here

One century at a time please!

Big Tuk tuk pictured below*

post-147745-0-67754200-1379739258_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

How much are they?

I am planning to buy a tuk tuk and work as a driver when I retire for a bit of extra cash, or even all my cash if I don't get a pension.

If you are farang, I don't think you can.

I'm pretty sure that Tuk tuk operator is one of the many many professions reserved only for Thai citizens.

Check it out before you invest any Baht into this plan!

Having experimented with solar applications I can comfortably say that solar array on top of a tuk tuk would use more energy due to its weight and decreased aerodynamics than the energy it will provide.

Really - please don't work on any of my vehicles

Really - please don't work on any of my vehicles

show us your calculations

how much do solar panels and mounting hardware, batteries, inverter/controller and wires add to the weight of the vehicle?

What is the drag coefficient of a Tuk Tuk? How many watts would be required to offset the increase in weight?

How many watts per square meter do you calculate the solar panels will provide?

I've given you ample rope to hang yourself. Please try to justify your opinion. I need the entertainment.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie