New iPhone- buy now in USA or in Chiang Mai?

TheVagabond

Hi,

With the new 5s coming out I'm debating what I want to get. I am focusing on being economical as I don't need anything cutting edge.

I arrive in CM Oct 2nd so debating buying now or waiting.

How much are 4s' going for unlocked?

Do you think that is the better route?

Buy used on EBay? (I am seeing some good prices for the 4s and the 5)?

General thoughts and open discussion welcome (of course, about practicalities and pros and cons of the various iPhone models, not whether Apple is dead ;-) haha)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by TheVagabond

Thanks. Now, for clarity correct me if I am wrong: I thought Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint compatible iPhones were locked into those carriers.... And the unlocked versions are either unlocked requiring GSM sim, or unlocked with T Mobile but compatible with any GSM sim...

Are you saying that there are unlocked iPhones that are compatible with AT&T and other unlocked iPhones that are not compatible with AT&T?

Thanks!

Edited by TheVagabond

buy from an official Apple dealer in Thailand - it will be unlocked unlike a US phone. Otherwise there is no difference.

Now iOS 7 has been released, it is much better running on a iPhone 5 than on a 4 or 4S so I would recommend either 5 or wait for 5C or 5S.

Thanks all. So i just called and USA won't ship in time, I leave Sep 30th. My current iPhone 3g is on it's last legs or I'd try and bring that over.

Thanks Ross, so the 5 should still be available for some time then from apple dealers in Thailand?

Would appreciate thoughts on two options:

A -order 5s in USA and have someone ship it to me in Thailand once I get there

B - get 5 in thailand upon arrival (because 5s isn't available yet?)

At this point ruled out the 4s and think its worth it to get at least a 5

Edited by TheVagabond

It's actually very simple. The best option (if time allows for OP) is to buy in America an unlocked GSM iPhone (whatever flavor C or S) It will be a couple hundred $s less than in Thailand. An unlocked GSM iPhone will work anywhere in the world, and especially in Thailand. Once you arrive here, just roll into any 7-11 or phone shop and buy a micro SIM card and you are good to go.

make sure you don't buy a "Verizon" hardware version iPhone in the USA, it must be "ATT" hardware compatible.

I just checked with three Apple stores in Washing ton DC area, the iPhone 5S & 5C are not being offered Unlocked, only tagged with one of the big four companies............the iPhone 5, has been discontinued, you may be able to fnd them with a reseller, but not with Apple.

I'll but mine in Bangkok in December

Have a look here their not the cheapest in MBK but they are reliable http://www.iphoneinthailand.com/NS_Telecom/ this way you can check the prices just before you come over.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Better to spend 1,000 or 2,000 more, and buy it from the Apple, or istudio shops, or jaymart, or similar big shops. The smaller grey market shops sell alot of fakes, and when the device is real, fhey usually offer minimal warranty service. Have had nightmares with the little shops, and will never do it again, to save a thousand or two. Devices have ended up tied up with poor service repairs for months, or not repaired at all. Never again.

• Like 1

OK I ended up caving in and went for the 5S here in the States so I can be sure I get one since my beat up 3GS was dying.

Got a T-Mobile. Walked past the long line at the Apple store and into the EMPTY T-Mobile store and got the last iPhone 5S they had! No wait, hah, suckers!

The Apple site states the T-Mobile can be used internationally on a nano-SIM from a local GMS carrier. They did say previously in the web copy that it was unlocked, and not anymore, and now the cart shows the item description as unlocked...

Bottom line the T-mobile no contract means that at the longest I wait 40 days to have them unlock, if I can't convince them to go sooner.

I talked for about 2 hours with both Apple and T-Mobile people in the stores co-located in one mall and they ALL were unclear if it would work internationally despite the site saying it.

I found this thread where on page 7 several people bought t-mobile 5S' and immediately used them with ATT sim cards. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1640112&page=7

Lastly I did check the frequencies on the apple.com/th site, .com/asia site and the USA site under tech specs and the model I have runs some of the same freqs as the TH model and so it should work immediately based off all things learned today.... Will let you all know!

Edited by TheVagabond