Samui residents enraged by ferry smog

webfact

Samui Residents Enraged By Ferry Smog

By Khaosod Online

ferry.jpg

SAMUI: -- Locals, business owners, and tourists on Samui Island have complained to the authorities about the pollution caused by the ferry ships around the piers of the popular resort island.

The said pier, run by Raja Ferry Company, operates ferries from Samui to Surat Thani Province′s Don Sak District in the mainland daily from 05.00-19.00.

According to the complaints, the ship engines have produced heavy smog, reeking the nearby area with unpleasant odour. The locals also alleged that residue of the ship petrol in the smog has tainted the laundry hung to dry by the locals along the houses in the vicinity.

Ms. Chalard Boonchan, 56, a bungalow owner, said the engine smog is so thick she can′t identify the ships clearly, especially when the ferries arrive and depart at the pier. She said she had complained to the company running the pier but no response was given.

After a number of locals and tourists reported about the issue, Mr. Wannapol Meedej, a local administrator, met with Mr. Piempridi Silpi, the manager of Raja Ferry′s technical department, in order to find a solution to the problems.

Mr. Piempridi said the company has been fixing the problems, and insisted that the engines of the ferries had been regularly maintained. Nevertheless, Mr. Piempridi assured Mr. Wannapol that he would inform the management of the company about the matter.

Mr. Wannapol said he has instructed relevant agencies to look into the complaints. "Samui is a tourist attraction selling nature," he said, "the tourists are supposed to be happy here. They shouldn′t have encountered the pollution problems".

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09UVTVOek01TkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-20

From http://www.brighthubengineering.com/marine-engines-machinery/66725-black-smoke-from-the-funnel-what-to-do/

Black Smoke from the funnel is a sign of poor maintenance and malfunction of the machinery. It is a serious issue as it violates Marpol 73/78 Annex VI and can lead to inspections and detention of the ship. In a ship with multiple machines the identification of the faulty unit is a difficult task.aesthetic

• slide 1 of 5

The reasons black smoke is wrong are:

1. It indicates that shipkeeping and maintenance is not proper and up to the mark.
    2. It indicates the lack of competency of the engineers.
    3. It is polluting.
    4. It increases the risk of an uptake fire.

Marpol Annex VI has set standards for air pollution and the sulphur content of the exhaust gases. Back smoke indicates that the combustion is incorrect. It suggests a bad fuel efficiency and an increase in the fuel consumption.

My bet is worn injectors and/or crappy fuel

• Like 2

From http://www.brighthubengineering.com/marine-engines-machinery/66725-black-smoke-from-the-funnel-what-to-do/

Black Smoke from the funnel is a sign of poor maintenance and malfunction of the machinery. It is a serious issue as it violates Marpol 73/78 Annex VI and can lead to inspections and detention of the ship. In a ship with multiple machines the identification of the faulty unit is a difficult task.aesthetic

• slide 1 of 5

1. It indicates that shipkeeping and maintenance is not proper and up to the mark.
    2. It indicates the lack of competency of the engineers.
    3. It is polluting.
    4. It increases the risk of an uptake fire.

Marpol Annex VI has set standards for air pollution and the sulphur content of the exhaust gases. Back smoke indicates that the combustion is incorrect. It suggests a bad fuel efficiency and an increase in the fuel consumption.

they make their own bio-diesel in donsak maybe they have a look there also

• Like 1

Are Thais becoming the world's biggest whiners?? Here's a suggestion. Do something about it!! Insist that your politicians spend money on Thais rather than building their bank balances.

Well obviously the ones that are complaining are trying to do something about it otherwise they wouldn't be complaining to the responsible officials!! Man!!!

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Are Thais becoming the world's biggest whiners?? Here's a suggestion. Do something about it!! Insist that your politicians spend money on Thais rather than building their bank balances.

Well obviously the ones that are complaining are trying to do something about it otherwise they wouldn't be complaining to the responsible officials!! Man!!!

Would love to believe that it could make a difference

Raja ferry, neglecting and blatantly ignoring any customer service related issue since the 14 years that I live here.

Exactly. Its all about the money just like everything else here and if there is a disaster the blame will be neatly thrown on some poor hapless soul, the news squashed and everything will go back to exactly how it was before.

Welcome to the 3rd worldlaugh.png

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

• slide 1 of 5

• It indicates that shipkeeping and maintenance is not proper and up to the mark.
    • It indicates the lack of competency of the engineers.
    • It is polluting.
    • It increases the risk of an uptake fire.

My bet is apathy and incompetence.

Several months ago I met my Wife who was coming to Koh Samui by Raj Ferries. Not only was it an aging old rust bucket, spewing smoke and grit into the atmosphere, it was also listing a good 15 to 20 degrees to one side! I have advised her NEVER to use Raj again for her own safety. How about complaining about the amount of rubbish being burnt on the Island, which badly contaminates houses, the atmosphere and is highly carcinogenic for people/animals? And then there's.................., no time to go and have a cuppa and chill on this lovely Paradise Island.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Ms. Chalard Boonchan, 56, a bungalow owner, said the engine smog is so thick she can′t identify the ships clearly, especially when the ferries arrive and depart at the pier. She said she had complained to the company running the pier but no response was given.

As happens on the ring road when stuck behind a Construction lorry/Songthew/Fruit truck/Tour bus/Safari wagon MOT failure billowing like a Papal conclave!

Edited by evadgib

Raja ferry, neglecting and blatantly ignoring any customer service related issue since the 14 years that I live here.

Exactly. Its all about the money just like everything else here and if there is a disaster the blame will be neatly thrown on some poor hapless soul, the news squashed and everything will go back to exactly how it was before.

Thanks for the welcome. Guess what...business is business anywhere in the world. It's always about the money. If you demand first world services...be prepared to pay first world prices and regulations. Or go to a first world country......and complain the about the prices.

• Like 1

Several months ago I met my Wife who was coming to Koh Samui by Raj Ferries. Not only was it an aging old rust bucket, spewing smoke and grit into the atmosphere, it was also listing a good 15 to 20 degrees to one side! I have advised her NEVER to use Raj again for her own safety. How about complaining about the amount of rubbish being burnt on the Island, which badly contaminates houses, the atmosphere and is highly carcinogenic for people/animals? And then there's.................., no time to go and have a cuppa and chill on this lovely Paradise Island.coffee1.gif

Exactly.....its a balance between what you desire and what you have to put up with. Enjoy you life in your Paradise mate!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. Guess what...business is business anywhere in the world. It's always about the money. If you demand first world services...be prepared to pay first world prices and regulations. Or go to a first world country......and complain the about the prices.

Well thats so interesting considering 1st world prices are charged here left right and center for the privilege of 3rd world services.

Just for your info i have had the experience of living in a first world country so i do know what i'm talking about.

Enjoy your visit btw