United 787 Nightmare Denver Tokyo BKK

dananderson

The next and earliest connection to Narita was in Seattle. They originally had an Alaska Aitlines charter large enough to fit all but that fell thru and a smaller plane brought in thus putting 15 out of 16 on the next commercial flight. The last stranded passenger was an elderly Japanese professor. On the Seattle to SFO flight I sat next a fellow fl-139 pax who happened to be an off duty flight mechaniic. The flight speed on screen was between 236-240 just before touchdown which was a consensus amongst us passengers taken from the on screen flight moniters and we had ALOT of time to share together. What really upset us was United put a list togethrer based on revenue vs non-revenue as criteria for bumping the 16 of us. Being a revenue pax I was just a tad mifffed. More later. Dan.

If this was a Thai Airways flight it would have been hundreds of posts long blaming the Thais, from the Pilot to the maintenance crew everyone Thai would have been wrong, lack of caring, lack of education, why don't they employ Farangs etc etc....

No Thais involved = it's an incident, these things happen. rolleyes.gif

True.

But I haven't heard anything about United painting over their logo.

If this was a Thai Airways flight it would have been hundreds of posts long blaming the Thais, from the Pilot to the maintenance crew everyone Thai would have been wrong, lack of caring, lack of education, why don't they employ Farangs etc etc....

No Thais involved = it's an incident, these things happen. rolleyes.gif

True.

But I haven't heard anything about United painting over their logo.

Nor telling the world bad spirits were to blame.

• Like 2

At leeast this stayed on the runway....and the passengers were carred for a little more that those on the THAI incident. THe cokpit speed was probably the air speed and as it would be landing into wind the landing speed could well be 39 km less.

Flapless landings is a procedure that all pilots train for, regularly, even at Private Pilot level (admittedly in smaller aircraft but the physics is pretty much the same). A longer approach is called for and airspeed is higher but nowhere near 240mph. At this speed the tyres would burst and the brakes would overheat. Airport emergency facilities would have been alerted well in advance and a professional pilot with a few thousand hours in his logbook or less would not normally regard such an incident as career changing. Most unsavvy pax would probably not have noticed anything was amiss.

At leeast this stayed on the runway....and the passengers were carred for a little more that those on the THAI incident. THe cokpit speed was probably the air speed and as it would be landing into wind the landing speed could well be 39 km less.

AVHerald has it landing at 19 kts. About 50 over normal.

AVHerald has it landing at 19 kts. About 50 over normal.

Sorry 190kts

What surprises me as they had fuel to burn off probably that they did not reroute to a place like Seatle which I am certain would have more aircraft maintainance services than alaska. Maybe they thought they could FedX things there.

Aren't Boeing in Seattle, maybe already too many broken down 787s there.............. (yes its a joke)

What surprises me as they had fuel to burn off probably that they did not reroute to a place like Seatle which I am certain would have more aircraft maintainance services than alaska. Maybe they thought they could FedX things there.

Aren't Boeing in Seattle, maybe already too many broken down 787s there.............. (yes its a joke)

Truer words have been said in jest....biggrin.png

• Like 1

There's more than one way to rid this plane of excess fuel. Here's a photo-tweet from the June incident 3 months ago from the same plane. http://instagram.com/p/at-2dbH71O/# Taken from this June CNN coverage http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/19/travel/dreamliner-diverted/index.html

It's like the old joke in reverse.

80% of F*rds are on the road, the rest made it home safely.

Can't hang around in the air without juice though!

It is a beautiful plane though....hope it does not get to the stage that like the comet the only place for it was parked on a pedestal at aircraft museums like a piece of art.

It is a beautiful plane though....hope it does not get to the stage that like the comet the only place for it was parked on a pedestal at aircraft museums like a piece of art.

The Comet was a lovely aircraft... in the air