restaurant review

ericpasansai

I find that when appropriate stating one's qualifications can be helpful as I'd rather know when it's a doctor giving me medical advice than a Chef who went to one of the best Culinary schools in the universe (while keeping in mind that we all know that jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery).

I think that the comparison to a doctor who publishes his academic credentials misses the mark. In the case of the doctor, you are expecting him to perform specific tasks which he would have been trained to do in medical school or in his residency. That is not the case with a chef reviewing restaurants, he is not be asked to do anything that he was trained for, he is just offering his opinion on someone else’s business.

IMO, chefs representing themselves as being uniquely qualified to judge which is the best Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai because they attended a top culinary institute are more analogous to someone who tells you that The Clash was a better group than The Sex Pistols and that they know that to be true because they went to Julliard.

Depends on your point of view.

#1 why did he have to go to so many different schools did he fail in them all.

#2 This was not a review of the food other than he said he liked it and his parents liked it. Also some might not have come from the place stated on the menu but he still liked it.

This is like comparing to a doctor. You hire him to take out your Gall Bladder and he does a magnificent job you are healthier than ever before.

But you complain about the instruments he used.sad.pngcoffee1.gif

One thing that food reviews in the Chiang Mai forum make plainly clear is that attending a top culinary school produces a much large ego than does attending a top medical, engineering, or law school.

I have a friend who was in the business at one point in his career he was the only executive chief in America in there 20s. He never claimed to have gone to these world class cooking schools. But he does claim to have studied under many different world class chefs. He is interesting to talk to about the industry and to eat a meal with. He can tell me every thing wrong with it. Then in the end he will say it tasted good.

Ego aside that is what it is all about. That is what the OP said it tasted good.

He talked about the difference in the thread count and the crystal these are things my friend also knows but in the end are meaningless. Just some extra things you pick up running high class restaurants.

A Chef, a doctor and an auto mechanic walked into a bar. Your sitting there contemplating the arrival of your soon to be born child. Who's advice would you seek out on these three topics (choosing only your first choice of person per topic). Which restaurant to have your celebratory meal, which hospital to deliver your baby and what kind of car to purchase for your newly expanded family. Now when it comes to how you want your steak cooked, what to name the baby and what color to order the car, those are of personal choice. It is your personal choice of whom to discuss each subject with as well but I would consult the person in each of the corresponding professions myself.

A Chef, a doctor and an auto mechanic walked into a bar. Your sitting there contemplating the arrival of your soon to be born child. Who's advice would you seek out on these three topics (choosing only your first choice of person per topic). Which restaurant to have your celebratory meal, which hospital to deliver your baby and what kind of car to purchase for your newly expanded family. Now when it comes to how you want your steak cooked, what to name the baby and what color to order the car, those are of personal choice. It is your personal choice of whom to discuss each subject with as well but I would consult the person in each of the corresponding professions myself.

Well the Doctor being a doctor would recomend a hospital that renumerated doctors well. He looks for what is the best way that suits his golfing shedule and the most profit not the comfort and hapiness of the patient. A doctor however eats at all the best resturaunts so would be the one to ask about food.

A chef...knows what to put in food to make it taste good and how to arange it to look good. This artistic eye and atention to detail and matching customers needs would make him a good choice for selectring a car to meet the needs of the customer.

Everyone knows how many girlfriends a half decent mechanic has with them all needing cars to be fixed..and cars having back seats..Thus lots of experience of them needing later services in hospital so he would be the one to ask for options of the best hospital

• Like 1