emails never delivered....is this common?

bocceball1

I don't know if it's just me, Thailand or the Internet.....BUT on a number of occasions people have sent me emails (usually with large files attached....tax return and other property reports But not always as sometimes its a long email) that I could not get delivered to my email address. I would have them resend them AND STILL would not receive them. Thought this was a Yahoo problem (as my email was with them) but then set up a Google account and the same problems ....unable to receive large file attachments or large emails. Is this a problem with the Internet in Thailand? ....Is it the email accounts that are the problem? ....Is there a way to solve this problem? Thanks

There is a de facto limit to message size of 10 or 20Mb.

How big are the attachments? Do the users not get an error message back?

Are they sending from outlook, if so, get them to add a Delivery receipt and see what they get in return.

Or try zipping up the attachments and keeping the message size below 10Mb.

Remember a 10Mb file will take up more than 10Mb when encoded in email, so the smaller, the better.

Are they sending from outlook, if so, get them to add a Delivery receipt and see what they get in return.

Remember a 10Mb file will take up more than 10Mb when encoded in email, so the smaller, the better.

Thanks for the info....not really an expert but that makes sense as why not receiving large files. Seems one page that I recently sent was 1475K (I'm guessing that's 1.475 Mb) so anything over 6-7 pages is a no-no.

Why Then in the States was I able to receive to my email accounts my Tax return (over 50 pages)???? Does this limit only apply in Thailand?

What email provider are you using?

I use a private, fee-based email service provider and do not have any issues sending or receiving emails with very large attachments.

FWIW, most free email service providers have limits on the size of attachments, and do not in any way guarantee delivery.

post-9615-0-83274200-1380001266_thumb.jp

• Like 1

What email provider are you using?

I use a private, fee-based email service provider and do not have any issues sending or receiving emails with very large attachments.

FWIW, most free email service providers have limits on the size of attachments, and do not in any way guarantee delivery.

Thanks for the info....I don't use a fee-based email service....Am using Yahoo, and Gmail....so obviously there is a 25Mb limit unless using Yahoo and a dropbox.

Thanks for the info....not really an expert but that makes sense as why not receiving large files. Seems one page that I recently sent was 1475K (I'm guessing that's 1.475 Mb) so anything over 6-7 pages is a no-no.

Why Then in the States was I able to receive to my email accounts my Tax return (over 50 pages)???? Does this limit only apply in Thailand?

There is no Internet "law", as I said it's a de facto standard really.

Some providers will have no problem with it.

If you are talking about tax forms, realistically it sounds as if someone is scanning them as HiRes photos, hence the size.

A really good compressed scan of a form should take up no more than 100K if it doesn't have photos.

I ran into a situation recently where someone trying to send to me wasn't using any antivirus software, and his computer was ridden with infections. Attachments and emails were infected, and getting rejected immediately by my receiving server.

Maybe something like this is happening to you? Ask your sender if they are using a good antivirus program.

Did he not get any notifications back telling him his mails were being rejected?

NO they don't get notifications of failure to deliver the email...that's part of the problem. They send these emails with attachments and think I've gotten them (even though I haven't} and then time passes before I email them asking them where the documents are.

Never send large files by email.

Many email servers cannot process large emails and are forced to simply dump them.

The original email system was designed for non-urgent short text messages only. There was no guarantee of delivery.

Early on some shonky email programers (eg Microsoft) fudged the system by breaking an attachment into many (hundreds) of small emails, then attempted to tack them back together at the other end. Inevitably however, one or more of the segments would be lost.

I understand there's a better system now to send large attachments, but it's still a kludge and often fails.

Best way to exchange large files is by putting them on your web server or using a service like DropBox.

Recently I had an idiot send me a complete CD as an attachment. It must have taken him hours to upload.

It completely locked up my mail server, and I had to ring my ISP to delete it. Lost a bunch of other messages as well.

Edited by jackflash

Many email servers cannot process large emails and are forced to simply dump them.

The original email system was designed for non-urgent short text messages only. There was no guarantee of delivery.

Early on some shonky email programers (eg Microsoft) fudged the system by breaking an attachment into many (hundreds) of small emails, then attempted to tack them back together at the other end. Inevitably however, one or more of the segments would be lost.

I understand there's a better system now to send large attachments, but it's still a kludge and often fails.

Best way to exchange large files is by putting them on your web server or using a service like DropBox.

Recently I had an idiot send me a complete CD as an attachment. It must have taken him hours to upload.

It completely locked up my mail server, and I had to ring my ISP to delete it. Lost a bunch of other messages as well.

Hey that music CD was my life man.

If you have a GMail account, you could use MyDrive. It used to be Google Documents, I think.

I don't know if there is any size limit for a single document, but 15GB limit overall.

You upload the document to your My Drive account and then you can share it with whomever you wish

Don't you have web-based access to your ISP email? That's the easiest way to deal with unwanted large emails.

Surprised your ISP didn't bounce it to be honest.

It is also possible, as in my case, it happens a some week ago, that the provider don't response anymore, even when you try to call them there is no connection. It happens with Phuketinternet.co.th, the have more then one server, like [email protected] and @e-mail.in.th and [email protected]

I use 2 of them and the sever @phuketinternet.co.th don't response anymore, when I try to pick-up by webmail I get the message the certificate is not safe. The senders of the mail to me don't get any message.

So, you'll never know with providers.

It is also possible, as in my case, it happens a some week ago, that the provider don't response anymore, even when you try to call them there is no connection. It happens with Phuketinternet.co.th, the have more then one server, like [email protected] and @e-mail.in.th and [email protected]

I use 2 of them and the sever @phuketinternet.co.th don't response anymore, when I try to pick-up by webmail I get the message the certificate is not safe. The senders of the mail to me don't get any message.

So they haven't bought an up to date certificate. You can usually breeze straight past that.

So they haven't bought an up to date certificate. You can usually breeze straight past that.

I didn't know, they have to pay for a certificate? Before everything was alright so a certificate can expire?

I didn't know, they have to pay for a certificate? Before everything was alright so a certificate can expire?

Of course.

Get them to send multi mails not to put every thing on the one mail. Same with pictures mix them up in 3 or 4 mails. But gmail is good.

I almost wasn't going to post this....why? because I feel like an idiot! The posts that I never got .....that were sent to my gmail acct. ....I thought they were never sent because ...well I didn't know where to look.....they weren't in my normal inbox....and they weren't in the spam area...didn't think to look further....but when I went to the More area and there was the "trash" thing .....I clicked on it and there was probably over 200 emails in there including the emails with attachments I wanted. I did not trash them ...somehow they were just sent there (so the sender got "receipt confirmation" ) but I didn't know cause I didn't look there ...Why would I? Oh well.....Solved that problem ...and mostly Thanks to you guys (and gals) Thanks!!!