why only one commentator on articles in Nation online newspaper?

boomerangutang

I assume thousands of people read parts of the Nation online each day, yet only one person posts comments. Me. One main reason is; All comments are required to go through Facebook, and folks with Facebook accounts don't want their names associated with comments. But wait, there's a simple solution: open a fake Facebook account. Millions do so already. You just need another email address, like hotmail. It would only take a few minutes to do that, and then I wouldn't be the only one in Thailand (population 60+ million, and several hundred thousand farang) ....who posts comments in the Nation.

• Like 1

Why go through FaceBook when just a highlight, copy & paste works easily.

Mac

Capital, Central region 'safe from flooding'
PONGPHON SARNSAMAK
THE NATION September 27, 2013 1:00 am
30215761-01_big.jpg
Bangkok and other provinces in the Chao Phraya River basin are likely to be safe from flooding this year, as there are no risk factors that indicate a danger of massive flooding in the region, according to the Royal Irrigation Department.

"We found that the accumulated amount of run-off from agricultural land is much smaller than the accumulated amount in 2011, when the capital and other provinces in the central region were severely affected by massive floods," RID deputy director-general Suthep Noipairoj said yesterday.

He said this year's accumulated volume of run-off water was measured at about 300 million cubic metres, while the accumulated volume in 2011 was measured at 20 billion cubic metres.

There were also no risk factors to suggest that massive flooding would occur in the Central region and Bangkok this year. Dams such as Bhumibol, Sirikit and Khwae Noi in the North had not needed to discharge massive amounts of water this year, as they had in 2011. There were also plenty of water-retention areas that could hold run-off water and prevent flooding in the capital and other major cities, Suthep added.

However, the department is keeping a close eye on the emerging tropical depression from Vietnam, which could affect several provinces in the Northeast and eastern region - in particular, Ubon Ratchatani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Prachin Buri - as these provinces had already been affected by severe flooding.

Suthep said he was particularly concerned about the situation in Prachin Buri as the amount of water in the Pasak Chonlasit Dam was nearly at its limit and would need to be discharged before the arrival of the tropical depression.

Because The Nations value as a news paper is akin to the UKs Daily Mail and I wouldn't even read it let alone comment on it. It appears to be written for non native english speakers who wish to read an English language paper note the missing "news" prefix on paper.

People just don't care to comment and they are write: why should we be stupid enough to comment for free on any commercial website as am I doing now ? Is your opinion so important that it is worth wasting time to comment ? :-)

There are all sorts. Those, like myself, who like to comment on articles. And those, like yourself who don't. Vive la difference.

Why go through FaceBook when just a highlight, copy & paste works easily.

It appears that Facebook is required for comments at online version of Nation newspaper.

BTW, I agree Nation could do better at the newspaper biz, as it's too seized on business/economic stuff. But that's their choice, and probably a factor of why they're #2. Neither of the 2 Eng.lang Bkk newspapers have sections for Environment, Innovation/Inventions, and neither have real classified ad sections. In sum, they're copies of old-style newspapers, along with boring sports sections and reams of vanity stuff, - while giving free ad space to Sony, Honda, Nokia and all other big corporations. ...while the little guys are left sitting in the gutter by the side of the road.