Is mainstreaming/assimilation killing "gay culture"?

Jingthing

I think this article presents an interesting perspective.

It also reflects some recurring "themes" that have come up in this forum, again and again.

I suggest reading the entire article to get the issues raised. Added some snippets to provide a taste.

See, the problem is that you can never sit two gay men in a room—one who is 50 and one who is 25—and have a conversation about, say, gay politics. You just couldn’t do it. They are just too skewed by the differences between the experiences they’ve had.

I hear a lot from younger people about how they don’t understand why they are expected to have any connection to any other gay person, especially these “old dudes,” just because of their sexuality. It seems like the opposite point of view that we’re discussing—that there is something called gay culture that is worth preserving—is on the decline. What’s going on?

As time’s gone on and we’ve become more mainstream, we’ve allowed other voices in that tell us what a gay life should be. Look at the television—every gay person on television is married and has a child. It’s preposterous!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013/09/24/justin_sayre_s_the_meeting_gay_culture_in_age_of_assimilation.html

I agree, JT, an interesting article.

Like ToddWeston, I've never been part of a gay culture, nor have I particularly wanted to. But I think all of us have to discover our own lifestyle. For some our gay identity is the main motivation; for others it is not. So long as we're not forced to be something we're not, I think it is up to us as individuals what lifestyle we choose.

• Like 1

Interesting article; thanks, JT.

Well, I am a bi guy, who is more on the gay side. I have been part of the gay culture, I guess. To some extent anyway; but it has never really been the priority for me. For example, regarding nightlife, I have been to gay venues many times in Istanbul, Sydney and Bangkok (especially enjoyed the Rome Club in Silom in the early 1990's) but I have never limited myself to gay venues. I have been to a variety of non-gay venues so many times too.

But, well, because of my effeminate way of dressing up, I guess I am automatically assumed by many as fully living the gay culture; lol. The interesting thing is that I have done crossdressing (well, partial crossdressing anyway; nothing like skirts or blouses; but more like things like minishorts, some accessories and makeup; I don't aim to 'pass') since only a few years ago; and in this period, I have been going to gay venues less and less. I still enjoy going to the Balcony Bar and the Telephone Bar every now and then; I would enjoy going to the DJ Station Club sometimes too, if it didn't get way too crowded in there; lol.

Anyway, for example, over the years, there have been many times I enjoyed watching football matches on big screens at non-gay bars, and there have been many times I enjoyed dancing to Kylie and Madonna at gay clubs smile.png

Edited by JemJem