Former Thai Police chief Wichean applies for EC post

webfact

Wichean applies for EC post
The Nation

30215923-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- FORMER POLICE chief Wichean Potephosree registered yesterday as a candidate for the Election Commission.

He was the 16th person to have filed credentials with the Senate Secretariat. Applications from people keen to be part of the EC close tomorrow.

Wichean said he wanted to use his experience acquired while holding various positions in government service for the interest of the country.

If he is selected, he plans to propose the use of modern technology for more efficient management of elections. But if he misses out, he would like to be an EC adviser.

Wichean has been moved many times over the past year under Yingluck Shinawatra’s government. He served as national police chief when Yingluck came to office, before being transferred to become secretarygeneral of the National Security Council. That move paved the way for Yingluck’s brotherinlaw Priewpan Damapong to be national police chief.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-30

If he is selected, he plans to propose the use of modern technology for more efficient management of elections

Hi-tech voting has run into problems in other nations, with names of some candidates failing to appear on the voting page etc. Even if we agree that hi-tech voting is a great thing, and I would be prepared to concede this point as it is not by its a nature an intrinsically bad thing, that doesn't stop the pre-count problems of vote-buying and local/tribal-pressure which are the real electoral problems in this nation. All that a computer system would do is to count the numbers of votes including those that were bought or coerced.

Re; the EC position & police etc. I have always favoured political representatives from heavy-industry, transportation, medicine and agriculture, to representatives from the state security apparatus. And this is true of commissions but also of political parties infact.

I would love to see the military and police get on with doing a proper job as well as being banned from politics.

What has this man done to improve the RTP?

you can hardly ban former military and police from politics.

What would be needed are strong courts and laws that just lock everyone up who is corrupt.

And, then where would there be any room for the rest of us to live?whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

If he is selected, he plans to propose the use of modern technology for more efficient management of elections

Hi-tech voting has run into problems in other nations, with names of some candidates failing to appear on the voting page etc. Even if we agree that hi-tech voting is a great thing, and I would be prepared to concede this point as it is not by its a nature an intrinsically bad thing, that doesn't stop the pre-count problems of vote-buying and local/tribal-pressure which are the real electoral problems in this nation. All that a computer system would do is to count the numbers of votes including those that were bought or coerced.

Re; the EC position & police etc. I have always favoured political representatives from heavy-industry, transportation, medicine and agriculture, to representatives from the state security apparatus. And this is true of commissions but also of political parties infact.

An example of electronic voting

Florida Voting Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3A9rG022M

I would love to see the military and police get on with doing a proper job as well as being banned from politics.

What has this man done to improve the RTP?

you can hardly ban former military and police from politics.

What would be needed are strong courts and laws that just lock everyone up who is corrupt.

lock them up where?No free space

Oh yet another Thaksin stooge up for a manipulative post so as to further the aims of a multi minded megalomaniac.

The more this cess pit of Thai politics grows the stench of corruption and the lust for unbridled power is indeed becoming a noxious effluvia that is slowly poisoning the Thai people and the flower of democracy too

Edited by siampolee

on 1st reading this piece I thought I was back in Ireland with all its corrupt politicians. thankfully im relieved at the fact its here in Thailand and that the prime ministers brother in law is the top police officer and everybody knows. just think how cosy it could be if he was the top revenue official and nobody knew . at least not here,but back in " paddysland"? now theres a country to really teach the rest of the world how to be a successful corrupt prime minister and remain untouchable.