Thai weather agency warns of heavy rain over northeastern, northern regions

webfact

Weather agency warns of heavy rain over northeastern, northern regions
By English News

13805114455840.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 30 - Typhoon Wutip made landfall in Vietnam today, bringing rain to northeast and northern Thailand, and a 70 per cent likelihood of rain forecast in Bangkok, according to the Meteorological Department.

The Department issued an advisory early this morning that typhoon Wutip arrived over Hue, in central Vietnam, early today and would then quickly decline before reaching Nakhon Phanom.

The storm is expected to bring more rain, isolated heavy rain and gusts over Thailand's east, upper northeast and eastern north.

Thirteen provinces including Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Kalasin, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Udon Thani, Nong Bua Lamphu, Loei, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Phitsanulok and Phetchabun are expected to be affected by heavy downpours.

The department said the stronger southwest monsoon would cause the strong wind and high waves in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand. All ships should proceed with caution.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was scheduled to inspect the flood situation and to visit flood victims in Si Sa Khet and Ubon Ratchathani today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-30

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATED GMT +7 - 3pm

NW Pacific: Storm Alert issued at 30 Sep, 2013 6:00 GMT

Typhoon WUTIP (20W) currently located near 17.5 N 107.5 E is forecast to strike land to the following likelihood(s) at the given lead time(s):

Red Alert

Thailand

probability for CAT 1 or above is 45% within 12 hours

probability for TS is 85% within 12 hours

Note that

Red Alert (Severe) is CAT 1 or above to between 31% and 100% probability.

CAT 1 means Typhoon strength winds of at least 74 mph, 119 km/h or 64 knots 1-min sustained.

TS means Tropical Storm strength winds of at least 39 mph, 63 km/h or 34 knots 1-min sustained.

For graphical forecast information and further details please visit http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

• Like 1

I live in Sakon Nakhon province and according to Thai Visa weather page we are due to have 45 mm of Rain between 7 pm tonight and 7 am tomorrow. It will be catastrophic if it happens. But lets hope their mistaken. Weather forecasters have been wrong before. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I live in Sakon Nakhon province and according to Thai Visa weather page we are due to have 45 mm of Rain between 7 pm tonight and 7 am tomorrow. It will be catastrophic if it happens. But lets hope their mistaken. Weather forecasters have been wrong before. whistling.gif

You can check here;

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/skn.php

It's now still over Vietnam and Laos, but headed your way. Severity depends on how fast it gets past the mountains.

• Like 2

Forest runoff inundates Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district
By English News

13805186962531.jpg

PHITSANULOK, Sept 30 -- Forest runoff from the Phetchabun mountains has inundated Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district while Prachin Buri remains critical as many government offices have to move equipment and documents to higher levels.

Eight Phitsanulok were severely flooded with no sign of easing while forest runoff from the Phetchabun mountains overflowed the makeshift dyke along the Wang Thong River to flood homes and farms in Wang Thong district.

More than one kilometre of the Wang Pikul-Wang Thong Road was submerged and vehicles could not pass, with only boats being usable transport.

Local officials urged the public to remain alert as the province was one of 13 provinces warned by the Meteorological Department to brace for heavy rain.

In Prachin Buri, many municipality roads were impassable due to the high water. Some areas were under 60cm of water because of the overnight rain.

Rainfall increase the water level in the Prachin Buri River and flooded the municipality office and other government offices. Government staff workers move office equipment and documents to higher ground.

In Ubon Ratchathani, 23 of 25 districts were named disaster areas from the flood, and more than 9,620 residents from 2,632 households were evacuated.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was scheduled to inspect the flood situation in Warin Chamrap district this afternoon. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-30

Memorex from Wutip's origin, yesterday's low pressure cell now (another) tropical depression. Like a pinball launcher. Feast or famine.

A first world dream is having a good, integrated system of water retention, flood controls and water sharing canals to dry areas of the country. We would be clicking our heels getting topped up for the coming dry season vs. dread, misery, destruction, injury and death.

FLOODS
Northeastern provinces under close watch

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Of 32 flood-affected provinces, 7 provinces have seen improvement while the situation in the remaining 25 provinces particularly in the Northeast is under close watch, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

The floods, which since September 17 have killed 22, have affected 2.8 million people (809,646 households), 11,400 houses, and 1.943 million rai of agricultural land. The floods affected 4,265 roads, 174 bridges and 515 dykes.

According to Chatchai Promlert, director-general of the department, the water level in 7 provinces has receded - Kanchanaburi, Chumphon, Prachuab Khiri Khan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Kalasin, Phayao and Mae Hong Son.

Under close watch now are provinces in the low-lying areas, which could be affected by the release of water from dams and reservoirs, he said.

The arrival of typhoon Wutip today, to first hit Thailand’s Nakhon Phanom, would also lead to heavy rains in the upper part of the Northeast. Chatchai said that this could worsen the situation in some already-inundated provinces.

As of today, among 21 provinces at risk of flash floods, eight are in the Northeast - Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Buri Ram, Amnatcharoen, Chaiyaphum, Yasothon and Mukdahan.

Along the Chao Phraya River and Tha Chin River, 21 districts of Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Sing Buri and Suphan Buri have been affected.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-30

Flash floods and landslides expected in North and Northeast

BANGKOK, 30 September 2013 (NNT) - The National Disaster Warning Center has warned residents in several northern and northeastern provinces to brace for flash floods and landslides during September 30 to October 1.

Provinces at risk of severe flooding include Mukdaharn, Kalasin, Nong Khai, Nan, Phrae, Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. Residents in affected areas have been advised to closely follow weather updates and monitor the situation.

According to the Meteorological Department, typhoon Wutip from the South China Sea is set to make landfall in Vietnam on Monday evening before bringing heavy rainstorms to the upper parts of Thailand.

The Southwesterly winds covering the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand will also strengthen, causing wet conditions in the South. Strong winds are expected to generate high waves off both southern coasts and all shipping should proceed with caution during the next two days.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-30 footer_n.gif

Our house was underwater for months, in Bangkok! I have so much pity for those who are now flooded without the resources to recover.

Cool boat dude biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.hDScpYRTMk.png

Actually it was my wife that got the village the boat. (boats) We'd evacuated Saphan mai. We were flooded and the head of the village was sleeping on raised platforms in the park across the street from us without an asset to his name. We called him to find out the situation of the village and our house. We discovered that he was in dire straits. (He hadn't a clue who to call for help) My wife called the head what ever agency was in charge, and the aforementioned head of the agency actually returned her call. She explained the plight of the village chief, and boats and help were delivered. We'd stored a lot of food and fresh drinking water because we'd planned to stay the flood out and it didn't work out. We did later wade back into the flood in waist high water and give what we had in our house to the chief. We took the boat out.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

I'm not a meteorologist, but it doesn't look very good for the northeast.

I'm not a meteorologist either, but the high tec piece of equipment I posses is a length of seaweed hanging on my back door.. it's getting very wet which suggests I should be getting my wellies on !!

Just keep smiling this is Thailand after all..

• Like 2

I'm not a meteorologist, but it doesn't look very good for the northeast.

I'm not a meteorologist either, but the high tec piece of equipment I posses is a length of seaweed hanging on my back door.. it's getting very wet which suggests I should be getting my wellies on !!

Just keep smiling this is Thailand after all..

Yeah I get ya. We might as well be swinging a chicken around our heads.

I'm in Nakhon Phanom and it's pissing down since an hour ago. No strong wind yet but looking at the satellite pic the eye of the storm is still hovering above Vietnam so I guess the real stuff will come tonight.

Good luck Sir.

• Like 2

Satellite pic at 3.45 pm earlier. You can see the huge storm cloud over central Vietnam, Laos, and its west perimeter over Nakhon Phanom, Mukdhahan. Its moving west at 20km an hour, so we are looking at about 6-10 hours before its eye is over the North East provinces. Its strength is supposed to be weakened during that passage but will still be the biggest storm to hit this region this year. Take care everyone!

post-138135-13805370867963_thumb.jpg