England Rugby

The rugby world's worst-kept secret is out. The RFU hauled in Andy Robinson and wanted him to explain his miserable record, and several (including Francis Baron, the grand fromage) thought it was time for him to go.

Somehow, AR turned it round and in so doing, has created an absolute dog's dinner of a coaching situation. OUT: Joe Lydon (IMHO the best man for the top job), Phil Larder (one of the world's greatest defense coaches), Dave Alred (kicking coach) and a few other less well-known bods. IN: Brian Ashton (sacked by England some years ago, probably unfairly, but out of touch with the international game) and Jon Callard (sacked from numerous jobs and widely disliked).

So, we have a lame duck who commands little or no respect from his players, with no new ideas, willing to do anything to save his neck, pulling on board other like minds (they all played/coached together at Bath) at the expense of some really good people.

I have been banging on about this for ages: Joe Lydon and Mike Friday as head coaching team, with Shaun Edwards, Dean Richards and Phil Davies (unless the Welsh see sense and snap him up) and we might have time to cobble together something for the 2007 World Cup.

I fear that our defence of the Webb Ellis trophy will prove an embarrassment, and I fancy we'll struggle through the pool stages and lose in the quarters. Our next stop is Oz in the summer. Any comments on the current debacle?

(In consideration of my feelings, please make this a gloat-free thread!)

England have the base for a good team but continually seem to fall down in their attack. Especially the backs. I dunno but I think the backs coaching staff need an overhaul. Every time I watch them lately they seem very unadventurousand lacking in imagination. Perhaps Mike Friday Is the best option?

A controlled style of game worked well when England had dominant players like Johnson, Dallaglio, Back and Wilkinson but I think they need to open it up now. The likes of Tindle and Cohen have got to go.

Also I think their ball recycling is too slow at the breakdown.

Even though I am not English, I hope they start improving (as long as I don't hear 'we are still world champions' in the process) :o

I heard that the RFU were well pissed off with the outcome of the 6 Nations.Infact , I think I read that their bugget was out approx UKPDS 1 million, because of the poor showing. (They are still perhaps the wealthiest RU in the world though)

Has anybody got any links to the meeting?

I heard that the RFU were well pissed off with the outcome of the 6 Nations.Infact , I think I read that their bugget was out approx UKPDS 1 million, because of the poor showing. (They are still perhaps the wealthiest RU in the world though)

Has anybody got any links to the meeting?

I wasn't there but was given feedback from it. To say they were pissed off is an understatement. The 6 Nations fund pays out set amounts according to the final placing in the tournament. Because England were crap, they received £1m less than if they had won. What really worried me, though, is that the RFU (Will Carling was right - 57 old farts) had had the arrogance not only to assume England would win, but had actually set the forthcoming budget in the presumption that the £1m was in the bank. They have now had to revise their figures, but what arrogance!

As for being the wealthiest - we should be. We have more clubs and players than any other country in the world and boy, do we junior clubs get hammered financially. We have numerous fees (pretty much every junior club and most senior club players still pay match fees) and what do we get in return? Very little indeed. The RFU officials, however, are unpaid but receive 'expenses'. In the season 2003-4, I know 5 officials who admit these 'expenses' to have exceeded £12,000 each. This doesn't include freebies to the internationals, corporate hospitality etc. It stinks.

England have the base for a good team but continually seem to fall down in their attack. Especially the backs. I dunno but I think the backs coaching staff need an overhaul. Every time I watch them lately they seem very unadventurousand lacking in imagination. Perhaps Mike Friday Is the best option?

A controlled style of game worked well when England had dominant players like Johnson, Dallaglio, Back and Wilkinson but I think they need to open it up now. The likes of Tindle and Cohen have got to go.

Also I think their ball recycling is too slow at the breakdown.

Couldn't agree more, mate. However, we don't seem to select the right players. Selection has been conservative to the point of timidity. The old 'he's been a good servant to the team' attitude doesn't wash, IMHO. In on merit or out altogether.

I'd keep Tindall because he or Noon do a very good job - it's just playing them together that is the problem. There are some really exciting young centres, esp. Jon Clarke. For attack, Tom Varndell is the most exciting wing I've seen in years. I reckon he'd give any international wing a run for their money. And where is he? In the 'A' side because he's only 20. Spineless selection.

The spine of the team isn't right. Who to play at 8? Or 9? Or 10, for that matter? Forget Dallaglio; Dawson is outstanding but getting older and slower; Hodgson can be very good but then awful. Message to Andy Robinson: THERE ARE SOME VERY, VERY GOOD PLAYERS OUT THERE. YES, THEY'RE YOUNG. SO WHAT???