Windows Starts, then nothing on screen

ignis

Help

Cannot work out what to do... New PC build last week and Win 8

M.B. GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P CPU AMD FX-8320 2x 4 GB Ram Hyper-X DDR3(1866) Kingston, GeForce 9800 GTX and Windows 8

Start all looks fine, but after the start up NO desk top appears, just a blank screen, the only thing on screen is IObit.. Anti Virus says updated, I have as showing done a full scan with IObit, PC is clean and in good health

have 4 HDD's but have disconnected all but the new one, 1 TB with the OS on = still same.

Non to sure of the 'F' numbers..... yesterday went F2 and then F7 and it worked, this morning appears that will not work, forget 100% what I did yesterday..

Yesterday after getting desktop. worked fine for some hours then suddenly desktop vanished

Help Please.... today is day 4 of the new build and Win 8, so all different then Win 7

Edited by ignis

I had a similar phenomenon with my Acer Predator with 4 hard disks and it still happens occasionally.

What I found out is that for some reason unknown to me, the BIOS "forgets" which is the boot disk and tries to boot form a hard disk which has no system.

What I had to do was the push the "Delete" key at startup to enter the BIOS menu and then change the boot disk in there. Then save and restart and - at least in my case - everything works fine and the computer starts normally. Until the next time facepalm.gif

When you loaded windows did have all your drives connected? When I did mine just recently I had two drives connected and system ended up on my storage drive as I have windows on a ssd. Had to diconnect the storage drive and repair windows to get everything onto the ssd. Then formatted the hd. Maybe same issue if you have disconnected your other drives. Did you set boot order in motherboard uefi.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All the BIOS Function key codes are in the manual, available online from Gigabyte if you have misplaced it.

On my Giga board F7 loads the optimized default settings, F6 loads the fail safe BIOS.

Also check the manual to confirm you have your memory in the correct slots.

The above posts are correct. This is most likely a BIOS defect, so upgrading it could solve the problem in my opinion.

On the other hand, you also have problems when the Windows is running already..which makes it clear that your Windows might need a reinstall as it doesnt work correctly.

Edited by A1Str8

Start all looks fine, but after the start up NO desk top appears, just a blank screen, the only thing on screen is IObit.. Anti Virus says updated.....

Hmm, if I am "interpreting" his post correctly, the PC boots up until a blank screen with an "IObit.. Anti Virus" message and than stops booting into the desktop.

In this case no Bios issue.

I would suggest, to boot the PC into safe-mode. (Press F8 while the machine starts)

But I might be wrong, since his post is not.... easy to understand. wink.png

I had a similar phenomenon with my Acer Predator with 4 hard disks and it still happens occasionally.

What I found out is that for some reason unknown to me, the BIOS "forgets" which is the boot disk and tries to boot form a hard disk which has no system.

What I had to do was the push the "Delete" key at startup to enter the BIOS menu and then change the boot disk in there. Then save and restart and - at least in my case - everything works fine and the computer starts normally. Until the next time facepalm.gif

I have been a great fan of XP but had to change i thought about Window 8 so many experts I went to in New Zealand said do yourself a great service forget 8 and do 7. They said that there are so many crashes and problems. I did 7 and it is very close to working with XP.

Start all looks fine, but after the start up NO desk top appears, just a blank screen, the only thing on screen is IObit.. Anti Virus says updated.....

Hmm, if I am "interpreting" his post correctly, the PC boots up until a blank screen with an "IObit.. Anti Virus" message and than stops booting into the desktop.

In this case no Bios issue.

I would suggest, to boot the PC into safe-mode. (Press F8 while the machine starts)

But I might be wrong, since his post is not.... easy to understand. wink.png

Yes correct, switch on does all the normal start up. my name and logo and Win 8 type start up,

when that is done normal would be the Desktop screen, but is then just a blank screen, with IObit little screen, seconds later the voice of Anti Virus states it has updated,,,,,,,

in the little IObit screen in the corner then show no more activity on HDD or CPU so is fully loaded, but can do nothing as no desktop showing

I have been a great fan of XP but had to change i thought about Window 8 so many experts I went to in New Zealand said do yourself a great service forget 8 and do 7. They said that there are so many crashes and problems. I did 7 and it is very close to working with XP.

This old laptop I am using is still on XP...... Had 7 on my PC for some years, the couple of days use of 8 appears very little different... so would be no problem going back to use 7

It sounds to me like it's much more simple than what's being implied here... I suspect exporer.exe isn't automatically running for some reason on your PC.

When your black screen comes up press ctrl alt del. If task manager comes up I'm right if it doesn't I'm wrong.

If it does, go to task manager. go to file menu... run task... type in explorer.exe

It sounds to me like it's much more simple than what's being implied here... I suspect exporer.exe isn't automatically running for some reason on your PC.

When your black screen comes up press ctrl alt del. If task manager comes up I'm right if it doesn't I'm wrong.

If it does, go to task manager. go to file menu... run task... type in explorer.exe

Many thanks that worked........

Now have a pop up,,,,,,,, Console Windows Host has stopped working ??

In problem event say's APPCRAS

• Like 1

typing SFC /SCANNOW (with a space rather than as I previously posted) should solve that.

If you do get notifications of any problems on this scan copy and paste here and I'll suss it out for you... good luck!

Edit: you'll need to reboot when prompted to after sfc scan.

Edited by johnkypri

For whatever reason sounds like somethings corrupted windows, I'd just back up re-install windows and run all the diagnostic programs before re-installing the rest of your software.

make sure to include sfc /scannow after re-installing.

Could possibly be your new harddrive that's the problem, but unlikely and as the above should take less than an hour I'd say it's your best place to start.

put in the recovery disk...(bet it did not come with your operating system)

Start in Safe mode.

if no recovery disk.... you can still backup your files with several other usb boot programs... such as Hirens

then reinstall operating system. I do two partitions...operating system on one, and all my documents/photos/videos on the 2nd partition. That way, when you reinstall, you do not have lose your data

Another neat thing to do is install Linux Lucid Puppy side by side on the same partition as your Microsuck Windows. You will get an option to boot into either...and this lets you access the internet and documents. Many people only live on the Web, and the browsers are identical. You would not miss Windows, but its nice to .have both. Lucid Puppy is one of the fastest and lightest of the linux programs. It can run off a thumb drive as well.....super fast, for those emergencies when Windows boggles down (nature of that beast)

2 hours so far this morning and still cannot get the Desktop... what I did yesterday made it work but not this morning,,, so back to this s l o w laptop

Guess Linux route maybe an option.. Tried year ago to download and run Red Hat, but never got it to work..... Do use Open Office for years and now also Kingsoft Office, DO NOT have M$ Office installed.

Will see if the DVD in this old laptop will work has a mind of its own, [but is 14 years old] and try to download this Lucid Puppy

Do you get the metro ui when you start up. why don't you just put in your copy of windows, boot to dvd or usb and run repair. Fixes everything.

Yes

but got the shop to do all this time, normally have the OS system installed then phone M$ later [about 30 days later] for paying and the License KEY, so do not have a DVD.. [make a copy DVD myself for my OS and system]

as over 100 KM round trip, am not going that way anytime soon, maybe can use another of there shops 'Advise' in Bang Yai ? cut 35 KM off the round trip. going there on Sunday so if cannot fix before will take it and ask