Woman-only taxis may launch in Bangkok

webfact

This is an excellent idea...but it will only be effective and make sense if the DRIVERS of all of these cabs are female as well.

You guys do not know the fear felt by many Thai women taking taxis alone at night...and they're afraid of the drivers.

When is the last time a woman was killed by a samurai waving taxi driver? Yes, I DO understand the fear of women in taxis, but it's not all that much safer for men.
What an utterly ridiculous, facile comparison. You know NOTHING of what Thai women face in Thai society.

You think your fear of "being killed by a samurai taxi driver" comes anywhere close to what Thai women feel getting into a taxi alone at night?

Did you grow up in a society that treats you slightly better than dog feces? Was your first experience of sex(ual violence) being diddled by your uncle or brother or cousin, or raped by a group of boys in the village? This is what it's like for MANY working-class and rural Thai women, who make up a very large percentage of the female population of Bangkok. And since taxis are actually affordable to the working class (not on a daily basis, but once in a while) in Thailand, unlike in the West (at least in the US), women actually take them from time to time.

You are most likely middle class, and live in a country (most countries in the West) where middle class women have more power than you (if you want a taste of this, just wander over to the Thai Visa "Ladies in Thailand" forum and voice an opinion or two, and watch how fast you get jumped on, suspended, or banned). Farang middle class women know NOTHING of oppression or fear from men, and neither do you.

Learn Thai fluently and talk to a few hundred Thai women, get close to them, learn their personal experiences, and you'll think twice about making such a ridiculous statement.

I just love when the infamous ajaans school the rest of us mortals :-)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent idea...but it will only be effective and make sense if the DRIVERS of all of these cabs are female as well.

You guys do not know the fear felt by many Thai women taking taxis alone at night...and they're afraid of the drivers.

When is the last time a woman was killed by a samurai waving taxi driver? Yes, I DO understand the fear of women in taxis, but it's not all that much safer for men.

What an utterly ridiculous, facile comparison. You know NOTHING of what Thai women face in Thai society.

You think your fear of "being killed by a samurai taxi driver" comes anywhere close to what Thai women feel getting into a taxi alone at night?

Did you grow up in a society that treats you slightly better than dog feces? Was your first experience of sex(ual violence) being diddled by your uncle or brother or cousin, or raped by a group of boys in the village? This is what it's like for MANY working-class and rural Thai women, who make up a very large percentage of the female population of Bangkok. And since taxis are actually affordable to the working class (not on a daily basis, but once in a while) in Thailand, unlike in the West (at least in the US), women actually take them from time to time.

You are most likely middle class, and live in a country (most countries in the West) where middle class women have more power than you (if you want a taste of this, just wander over to the Thai Visa "Ladies in Thailand" forum and voice an opinion or two, and watch how fast you get jumped on, suspended, or banned). Farang middle class women know NOTHING of oppression or fear from men, and neither do you.

Learn Thai fluently and talk to a few hundred Thai women, get close to them, learn their personal experiences, and you'll think twice about making such a ridiculous statement.

Perhaps you should try to overcome your hysteria. Maybe see a psychiatrist.

Once upon a time, there were "Whites only" seats.

In modern times, they want "Women only" seats.

The haters are back. Together with insecure "white knights".

Fortunately, this nonsense is originated from Western feminist NGOs and I don't believe it will ever be taken serious in Thailand.

Care to elaborate, what exactly is originated from Western feminists?

Rape?

...you are putting a protection for women from sexual assault on one step with right out rascism?

No matter if it will work in Thailand or not: what cave did you crawl out of?

I thought lady taxis meant the DRIVER was the lady, what's the point of having a man as the driver for a ladies only taxi or have I missed the bus on this one.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app