Langkawi / Koh Lanta / Koh Lipe / Koh Phi Phi / Krabi

ralph81

Hi,

One of my friends from the UK is coming to visit and wants to visit as much as he can in the 2 weeks he is here, so this is the itinerary he is suggesting (last two weeks in November):

Wednesday - Fly from Bangkok to Krabi. Spend night in Krabi town to allow us to take the ferry to Koh Lanta the following morning.

Thursday - Depart from Krabi Town Hotel at 10:00 – Arrive at Langkawi at 18:00 local time.

Friday - Stay in Langkawi

Saturday - Stay in Langkawi

Sunday - Ferry to Koh Lanta

Monday - Stay in Koh Lanta

Tuesday - Ferry to Koh Lipe, stay in Koh Lipe only this one night

Wednesday - Ferry to Koh Phi Phi

Thursday - Stay in Phi Phi

Friday - Ferry to Krabi, flight back to Bangkok in one of the latest flights of the day

Too much? Any suggestions / alterations? I do not know what Langkawi is like, what he really wants to go and see it.

Thanks guys!

Edited by ralph81

Too much. You will be in transit a lot. Doesn't make your vacation much fun.

Krabi town isn't very interesting, IMHO. Why not take a mini bus immediately to Lanta? Fairly quick.

Another option is to fly into Krabi and back from Langkwai?

• Like 1

Too much. You will be in transit a lot. Doesn't make your vacation much fun.

Krabi town isn't very interesting, IMHO. Why not take a mini bus immediately to Lanta? Fairly quick.

Another option is to fly into Krabi and back from Langkwai?

I thought too much too... and from last time ferry or speed boat rides are not much fun. The only problem I see coming back from Langkawi is that you have to fly to KL? I don't think there are any flights to Bangkok, otherwise that would be ideal. I ll check that minibus option to Lanta, I wasn't aware of that...

Thanks!

Only advice I can give is avoid Phi Phi. This stunningly beautiful area is now inhabited by some of the lowest forms of human life imagineable.

Haha, I know what you mean. I stayed there 3 nights recently, I only want to get there to reach Maya Bay & James Bond Island and alike, not really for the nightlife...

I would say:

BKK - Krabi, stay overnight

Ferry Krabi - Langkawi (Malaysia)

Ferry or speedboat Langkawi - Koh Lipe

Ferry or speedboat Koh Lipe - Koh Lanta

Ferry or minivan Koh Lanta - Ao Nang (touristic) or Ao Nammao (local area), Krabi

From Ao Nang book a day tour to Koh Phi Phi and a day tour to James Bond Island.

Fly back to BKK.

I would add that if you are just planning on heading to Pantai Cenang, Langkawi then it really isn't worth it. Beaches way too busy and not much to look at really. However if you venture further NW you will find some stunning places to stay and see -Pantai Kok, Mutiara Bay, Burauy Bay.

Re. return flight, you could do your Thai islands- on to Langkawi -ferry to Penang and fly back that way. Penang is well worth a day or two and something with a bit of historical/architectural culture to finish the trip off with.

I would consider: Krabi - Phi Phi - Lanta - Lipe - Langkawi - Penang (fly back)

Have fun!!

I would say Langkawi is definitely worth a look. I stayed in Malaysia for about 1.5 years and visited the island a couple of time and it is a cool island. More commercial than some of the other islands in Malaysia but still nice beaches, etc. Although I prefer Perhentian in the East of Malaysia as the water and beaches are a lot more unspoiled and stunning.

As said above Penang is quite nice as well and if you want beaches then Batu Ferringhi is really nice. Had a work weekend away there last year and nice bars on the beach, bbq and purple skies, Top notch.

I would say Langkawi is definitely worth a look. I stayed in Malaysia for about 1.5 years and visited the island a couple of time and it is a cool island. More commercial than some of the other islands in Malaysia but still nice beaches, etc. Although I prefer Perhentian in the East of Malaysia as the water and beaches are a lot more unspoiled and stunning.

As said above Penang is quite nice as well and if you want beaches then Batu Ferringhi is really nice. Had a work weekend away there last year and nice bars on the beach, bbq and purple skies, Top notch.

Odd. Most people would describe Ferringhi as an overdeveloped toilet, really nice beach ? You are joking I think ? I like Penang, spent a good part of my life there but I think its been a long time sine I heard anyone describe the beaches as nice.

Langkawi though, in agreement there, great place.

Btw. Ferry from Krabi not run for several years, was a very short lived operation I recall, bus it to Satun and ferry from there.

Edited by roamer

Second to Luang, Langkawi is way too much commercial and not really a good place to recommend (even i am a Malaysian) since you are visiting the islands in Thailand where you will most likely find better beaches there.

For transfer from Langkawi, take a ferry ride to Koh Lipe seems to be a better option. Flight options from Langkawi is rather limited to inbound.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Odd. Most people would describe Ferringhi as an overdeveloped toilet, really nice beach ? You are joking I think ? I like Penang, spent a good part of my life there but I think its been a long time sine I heard anyone describe the beaches as nice.

Langkawi though, in agreement there, great place.

Btw. Ferry from Krabi not run for several years, was a very short lived operation I recall, bus it to Satun and ferry from there.

Actually, on reflection, I understand your point and would agree to an extent. I guess a work funded stay at a nice hotel, free weekend of food and drink and nice weather maybe clouded my judgement of Batu Ferringhi biggrin.png

There are a lot better beaches around Malaysia and Thailand. I'm not sure about the over-developed toilet but there are nicer all the same.

I agree that Penang is nice overall but and would imagine you would have had a nice time living there.

I was in Phi Phi for 3 nights in August and, despite the weather, I liked it. However everyone I met there said that Koh Lipe and Koh Lanta were so much better, more like "paradise". Phi Phi was ok but overcrowded yes, and good if you want to party as there was always loads going on in the beach bars at night.

All in all I think we are going to avoid Phi Phi as everyone, including travel agents, seem to agree that it is too much travel, and it seems I am going to book the following:

Wednesday

FLIGHT – BKK to KL in the morning, visit KL stay 1 night

Thursday

FLIGHT – KL to Langkawi

Friday

Langkawi

Saturday

Langkawi

Sunday

FERRY – Langkawi to Koh Lipe

Monday

Koh Lipe

Tuesday

Koh Lipe

Wednesday

FERRY – Koh Lipe to Koh Lanta

Thursday

Koh Lanta

Friday

FERRY Koh Lanta – Krabi & FLIGHT Krabi - BKK

Saturday

BKK

Sunday

Departure to UK

Maybe one more day in Koh Lanta and one less in Koh Lipe / Langkawi, not sure yet!!!

Cheers,