Dead "search" in Win7/64...Pls help.

jack2964

AFter many hours spent googling and performing various 'fixes' found on the net, my 'Search' is still not working. The moment I type a single alphabet into the search field, it goes totally blank.

I run Win7/64 on a Dell laptop.

I have no means of reinstalling Windows as there is no CD-Rom nor DVD supplied with the laptop purchase.

Would appreciate if someone could offer an easy to follow procedure to fix this anomaly. Thanks to all in advance.

Screenshot below:

post-128422-0-80719500-1380768884_thumb.

You might try to rebuild the index:

The index requires almost no maintenance. However, if the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.
  2. Click Advanced. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

You might try to rebuild the index:

The index requires almost no maintenance. However, if the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.
  2. Click Advanced. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Thanks BB1950, I did as suggested but the 'search' within Control Panel is dead as well. I typed in 'Indexing' in the search box and hit 'enter' with no response whatsoever.

Seems like I can't do a search from anywhere.

post-128422-0-74830300-1380772981_thumb.

Try this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10246/how-to-disable-search-in-windows-7/

Please note: That this solution is to disable the search, so maybe you can use it to enable the search again

Tried this too. 1st I disabled then re-enabled. Still no joy.

But the link you gave have what I reckon would be a good alternative to in-built Win7 search.

If I can't fix this I might just go ahead and disable "Search" and opt for this utility.

Thanks MJCM.

You can try this:

Go into the task manager, where you can choose to display or hide several links (e.g. Pictures, Music, etc.) in the start menu.

Afaik there is an option to link the search/command-bar to files and folders. It should be enabled.

Hope it helps!

You can try this:

Go into the task manager, where you can choose to display or hide several links (e.g. Pictures, Music, etc.) in the start menu.

Afaik there is an option to link the search/command-bar to files and folders. It should be enabled.

Hope it helps!

I went to Task Manager but I am not sure where the option is to link the files/folders.

Thanks Koko.

Check in Services.msc if the "Windows Search" service is running

I am sure it is running but I did find that the Services window in 'Extended' view is completely blank no matter what I choose in the 'View' drop down menu.

In the 'Standard' view everything looks fine and Window Search is started and has Automatic (delayed start) indicated.

Not sure if this is the problem with my 'search' function.

Thanks MJCM.

post-128422-0-39434300-1380787891_thumb.

post-128422-0-75132800-1380787907_thumb.

"AFter many hours spent googling and performing various 'fixes' found on the net, my 'Search' is still not working. The moment I type a single alphabet into the search field, it goes totally blank."

If you have already tried a lot of things "found on the net" then it is probably even more buggered up now than when the problem started.

As it is a Dell machine it should have a factory restore partition. I would use it. Back up your personal data first.

Unless it came without an operating system and some nice people in Tukcom etc installed a "free" copy of Windows for you, in which case you need look no further for the source of the problem and should just go and buy a real copy of Windows, with disk and activation key. The real Win7 SEAsia edition can be bought for just a few thousand Baht.

What is the Service Tag shown on the bottom of your laptop? Why not just run a backup of your data to an external drive and run a Factory Restore?

Being pretty much illiterate with computers I'll try not to go down that path. I'd probably make things worse.

Screw it. use Everything instead. Much better anyway.

http://www.voidtools.com/

I have d/loaded and installed Everything and it works like a charm. Super fast!

"AFter many hours spent googling and performing various 'fixes' found on the net, my 'Search' is still not working. The moment I type a single alphabet into the search field, it goes totally blank."

If you have already tried a lot of things "found on the net" then it is probably even more buggered up now than when the problem started.

As it is a Dell machine it should have a factory restore partition. I would use it. Back up your personal data first.

Unless it came without an operating system and some nice people in Tukcom etc installed a "free" copy of Windows for you, in which case you need look no further for the source of the problem and should just go and buy a real copy of Windows, with disk and activation key. The real Win7 SEAsia edition can be bought for just a few thousand Baht.

It is a legit Win7.

If I can't have my windows search back I am happy with the Everything utility.

If the basic search function isnt working then there is probably more wrong than a 3rd party utility can fix. Hence my suggestion to reinstall Windows.

If it is legitimate Windows then you should have either a disk or a factory restore partition or the possibility of making a disk using a special restore disk tool. All are easy to use if you just follow the instructions.

If you really dont fancy that then a simple system restore to a date before the problem started will probably do the trick. This should only take a few minutes.

If the basic search function isnt working then there is probably more wrong than a 3rd party utility can fix. Hence my suggestion to reinstall Windows.

If it is legitimate Windows then you should have either a disk or a factory restore partition or the possibility of making a disk using a special restore disk tool. All are easy to use if you just follow the instructions.

If you really dont fancy that then a simple system restore to a date before the problem started will probably do the trick. This should only take a few minutes.

This problem has been with me longer than I can remember and I think the earliest restore point would be after the failed search function.

I had this problem also and eventually found out that my windows version was not legit.

I could be wrong but my Win7 is still getting updates regularly and I can d/load and install Microsoft stuff freely. By that, I believe it is a legit copy.

There is a sticker with a product key underneath the lappy.

This problem has been with me longer than I can remember and I think the earliest restore point would be after the failed search function.

I had this problem also and eventually found out that my windows version was not legit.

I could be wrong but my Win7 is still getting updates regularly and I can d/load and install Microsoft stuff freely. By that, I believe it is a legit copy.

There is a sticker with a product key underneath the lappy.

Most likely legit. Besides, fact is that a lot of illegit copies work just fine. Yep, they do, even though here any problem will be immediately ascribed to illegitimacy smile.png Not that I'd condone such, mind you.

No need to waste time going thru a lot of rigmarole restoring Windows etc. until you absolutely must. Some of our members are highly anal retentive. I know a lady who happily used Windows XP for many years though she could never see the Device Manager. It refused to load! No problem, she never needed it anyway. smile.png

Little problems arise now and then but you can usually work around them without major surgery. Windows ain't perfect. Here you've discovered Everything--be sure to check the option "Start with Windows" and it'll always be there. Since it came out, I've never used Windows search.

Do the usual Windows maintenance, run Ccleaner etc. once in a while, and you should be fine.

Edited by JSixpack

If maybe nothing helps then use the good old DOS-command.

Start the DOS-shell with executing the 'cmd' command and change to the main folder with 'cd \'

There you just type 'dir filename*.* /s', like i.e. 'dir command*.* /s' (you must do this for every single harddisk - but it works ALWAYS).

Good luck.

Jsixpack:

I've decided to leave well alone. I've got "Everything" installed and it is really good other than it asking for permission to launch at start up all the time.

Gomyway:

Tried as suggested but no joy still. No worries!

Thanks to all for feedback.