Rules to be set for foreign drivers renting cars

khwaibah

Rules to be set for foreign drivers renting cars

Nopniwat Krailerg

After receiving numerous complaints from local people about foreign tourists renting cars and motorbikes in Chiang Mai the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transportation Office and the Chiang Mai Police have decided to implement rules requiring rental agencies to check the driver’s license of tourists before allowing them the rent a car.

Charnchai Keelapaeng, the head of the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transportation Office, said that the complaints stemmed from foreign tourists from Europe, America, and Asia but especially the large influx of Chinese tourists that don’t follow traffic signs, drive the wrong way and cause traffic jams and accidents.

The Office and the Police will establish aTourist Assistance Center and Training center at the Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transportation Office. Enforcement of the rules will begin November 1, 2013 and rental agency owners that allow tourists who do not have a driver’s license to rent will be punished under the Motor Vehicle Act. The Office will coordinate with each consulate to publish the information.

n9rental.jpg

Charnchai Keelapaeng and the Chiang Mai Traffic Police agree to enforce regulations requiring visitors to have driver’s licenses before they can rent a car.

Chiang Mai-Mail

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd9

complaints stemmed from foreign tourists from Europe, America, and Asia but especially the large influx of Chinese tourists that don’t follow traffic signs, drive the wrong way and cause traffic jams and accidents

What difference will a local license make? The natives that have one do all of the above anyway. I say ban Thais from driving. whistling.gif

complaints stemmed from foreign tourists from Europe, America, and Asia but especially the large influx of Chinese tourists that don’t follow traffic signs, drive the wrong way and cause traffic jams and accidents

What difference will a local license make? The natives that have one do all of the above anyway. I say ban Thais from driving. whistling.gif

While it's possible to smile about the way many Thais drive, for anyone who has been driving here for some years, it's often very evident when you are behind a new tourist. Their style of driving differs quite a bit from the local form, and not in a good way, leading to an excessive amount of accidents I'm sure.

• Like 2

I presume they mean foreign licenses - not make tourist take a driving test! I would suggest most renters here would not know a real driving license from overseas anyway - I guess I could probably show my Library card with photo on it - or old work ID! Especially when in Chinese etc.

I presume they mean foreign licenses - not make tourist take a driving test! I would suggest most renters here would not know a real driving license from overseas anyway - I guess I could probably show my Library card with photo on it - or old work ID! Especially when in Chinese etc.

Gone are the days when my PADI OWSI card was good enough at police checkpoints.whistling.gif

• Like 2

My wife rents out bikes .So now we have to do the work of the Police ?

:rolleyes: It IS somewhat common for rental agencies worldwide to check that people are qualified to rent a vehicle.

Or you think this a strange concept, before handing over a potentially very deadly machine?

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif It IS somewhat common for rental agencies worldwide to check that people are qualified to rent a vehicle.

Or you think this a strange concept, before handing over a potentially very deadly machine?

TIT ,ITS THAILAND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT As long as they show us a passport and give a substancial deposit and sign a contract ,( where they are liable to pay any damages )they are good to go as far as we are concerned .We do ask about about riding experience ( its our bikes in danger after all ) rather than having a current licence .

Edited by anto

Insisting on renters having licenses is only covering b*** (assuming most of these renters are from China)

It will not be effective in promoting road safety in Chiang Mai

Most countries require a 3-stage process to acquire a driving license (1) theory course/test...(2) practical lessons... (3) practical test

To my knowledge, the final practical test is conducted in real world environments i.e. on the streets with drivers, riders, pedestrians, stray dogs etc. In my personal experience, my lessons were also on public roads (but the instructor kept to quiet back-roads for my first few lessons)

In China, the practical test is conducted in gigantic car-parks set up to mimic real-world streets. There are street signs, traffic lights, parking bays, fake buildings, the odd abandoned bicycle. But the learner driver is never taken on onto the public road system. THE TEST OR EXAM IS ALSO CONDUCTED THE CAR PARK!!

The first time drivers in China hit the streets: when they have collected their licenses.

Insisting on renters having licenses is only covering b*** (assuming most of these renters are from China)

Most countries require a 3-stage process to acquire a driving license (1) theory course/test...(2) practical lessons... (3) practical test

To my knowledge, the final practical test is conducted in real world environments i.e. on the streets with drivers, riders, pedestrians, stray dogs etc. In my personal experience, my lessons were also on public roads (but the instructor kept to quiet back-roads for my first few lessons)

In China, the practical test is conducted in gigantic car-parks set up to mimic real-world streets. There are street signs, traffic lights, parking bays, fake buildings, the odd abandoned bicycle. But the learner driver is never taken on onto the public road system. THE TEST OR EXAM IS ALSO CONDUCTED THE CAR PARK!!

The first time drivers in China hit the streets: when they have collected their licenses.

Sounds quite similar to Thailand's system.

"After receiving numerous complaints from local people about foreign tourists..."

Yet another "blame the foreigner" campaign.

This is truly laughable..In SE Asia only Vietnam is worse, I hear India is pretty crazy.

Perhaps it would be more logical to just prohibit tourists driving based on employment impact on Thai transport workers.

Same for long term foreign residents who lack a work permit, they should be compelled to employ a driver.

Not to mention confiscate their bicycles.

And the the negative economic impact of thousands of Farang doing their own cooking and housework.

Be interesting with Bikes - most people from the UK at least do not have motorcycle licenses but rent mopeds when they get here. In the UK they can drive moped (under 50cc) on UK streets on a car license but only after a basic test (CBT) (unless pre-2001) and even then as a learner - which means no provision to drive overseas. So in theory that would render many Brits that hire bikes and moped here not able to (all good news to me - but then I had a full bike license in the UK anyway smile.png)

Edited by wolf5370

"After receiving numerous complaints from local people about foreign tourists..."

What is your complain about? To me it sounds like they're stating the facts, and the fact is the Chinese are horrible drivers for the most part.

It's a common sense that people have to be qualified for the machinery they are about to operate.

When traveling overseas, one is supposed to get an international driving permit if they plan on driving / riding.

I've seen a number on IDPs and they are pretty much the same from every country.

If you're missing the IDP or a locally issued DP, (or unless your home country's DP is recognized in the country you're traveling to) no driving / riding for you - simple!

rolleyes.gif It IS somewhat common for rental agencies worldwide to check that people are qualified to rent a vehicle.

TIT ,ITS THAILAND WE ARE TALKING ABOUT As long as they show us a passport and give a substancial deposit and sign a contract ,( where they are liable to pay any damages )they are good to go as far as we are concerned .We do ask about about riding experience ( its our bikes in danger after all ) rather than having a current licence .

No need to call him a tit, or to shout at him, it's a fair question.

Does your insurance cover unqualified, inexperienced drivers, or don't you bother with it? If not, I hope you make it clear that that's what the substantial deposit is for. You say it's your wife's business, but then reply as if it is a business that you are clearly involved in.... Us,we, our etc.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

you must not come into the city much.

I have to actively avoid atleast 2 tourist per day.

They should add to the law and make it mandatory for all biking/motorbiking tourist to wear yellow helmets also, for easy identification.

the motorcycle test in California is also the same, in the car park.

and does not even try to mimic a street, its more like an obstacle course.

It IS the Thai system.

All a Thai licence proves is that you have sufficient money to pay for it. It says very little about driving skills. Does anyone ever fail a test, if so, how?

It IS the Thai system.

All a Thai licence proves is that you have sufficient money to pay for it. It says very little about driving skills. Does anyone ever fail a test, if so, how?

I did! :D The written part though, went and had it redone right then.

The "tricky" questions that failed me were of the sorts, can a vehicle without the windshield be operated on public roads, or can a vehicle with no break lights or turn lights be operated on public roads... They were repeated a number of times is slight variations so once I got one wrong, I got many wrong. Why I got them wrong? because I've seen so much junk on Thai roads and even passing through the police check points, that I thought it must be OK here. :D

Crackdown on Dangerous and Illegal Foreign Drivers Oct 8, 2013Others

CityNews – It was reported in the Bangkok Post today that foreign drivers in Chiang Mai have come under scrutiny for causing accidents, and so a centre has been set-up to teach foreign drivers about local traffic laws.

1381228923.jpg

The centre aims to bring the number of accidents involving foreigners down. Police, tourist police, the transport office, and immigration will all work together in keeping the centre running.

Chanchai Kilapaeng of the Chiang Mai transport office told the press that he hoped the centre would reduce traffic problems caused by tourists who were not familiar with local driving laws. He added that foreigners will be targeted by police for not adhering to local traffic laws and will also be fined if they are found driving without a license.

CityNews ChiangMai

With Thais its always someone else s fault ,I have never seen

a Farang in an accident but too many Thais.

Its like when my daughter was at Nursery school, they where

doing play stuff, and the teacher said it was about tourists in

Thailand, the teacher told 3 kids to be Farangs,you throw the

litter and we pick it up ! like Thais never litter.

I would think if the tourists are driving like they say, they must

have learn t by watching Thais drive,wrong way,no signals,

cutting in front,no lights,etc etc. all ways Thais drive.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2