Hip Replacement

dthomasss

Has anyone had the Makoplasty done? It is a relatively new procedure that provides the suregeon with a robotic arm. The "hype" is that it provides more accuracy, less cutting, and a faster recovery. but I have not been able to find much statistical evidence that it is better than the minimally invasice surfery. Bumrungrad is the only hospital in Thailand using it, as they sent a team to the USA for training.

The total cost is a little over 600,000 baht with all the "extras." I can have the surgery done in Bangkok or Pattaya as I have aftercare setup in both places, so I am looking for surgeoon/hospital recommendations. I qualify for social medicine at Phayathai Hospital in Sriracha, but was told the waiting time would be minimum one year and I don't think I can hold out that long because of the increased pain and lack of mobility.

Would love to chat with any recent patients regarding your experience.

Be warned that the technique is only as good as the doctor using it and that it takes a lot of practice to get proficient at robotic surgery of any type. I would be very wary of having it done unless the surgeon had completed many cases with that technique, which will be hard to find in Thailand.

Be warned that the technique is only as good as the doctor using it and that it takes a lot of practice to get proficient at robotic surgery of any type. I would be very wary of having it done unless the surgeon had completed many cases with that technique, which will be hard to find in Thailand.

Agreed.

There is virtually no "evidence" to be found regarding the technique apart from the robot manufactures blurb.

If you require a hip replacement my advise would be to seek a surgeon with a solid background of experience.

An experienced orthopaedic surgeon will have no problem with undertaking a hip replacement .......... It is routine stuff !

• 3 weeks later...