wearing a weapon in Thailand

Mangosteen1

Yeah you saw this Topics Headline. I wonder if its OK to carry a weapon in Thailand. it doesn't neciceaary have to be a gun. A knife, Teargas, baton is OK. For self defense of course. Ive heard stories about people caring guns. There are a lot of Guns available in Cambodia Officially. but unofficially in Thailand. Some Westerners getting caught with guns had to pay a heavy bribe to "MR. POLICE." They see very serious on Guns and it was very costly for the guy.

post-182659-0-86896900-1381349672_thumb.

Edited by Mangosteen1

There are several topics running on this forum regarding this precise question.

Please bear in mind though forum rules about illegal activities & discussions pertaining to them.

The firearms license, granted by the local amphur office, and then registered once bought, is not the same as the right to carry the weapon in public. If you want to keep a pistol on your person in public, then you need a seperate Bai Pok Beun. Otherwise, a sidearm must be stored, bullets and magazine out of weapon, in the glove box, in a bag etc, and other such sensible precautions when being transported.

Edited by VisaProblem
  • Like 1

they got one of my staff....2 weeks at the police station and a big fee....

yes, very naughty. And god help you if you were dumb enough to have an unregistered firearm bought from a local shady character.

If you go to Thanon Burapa in Bangkok, there are many gunshops, and they are quite ok with farangs if you have a .38 or 9mm licence and stay away from .45ACP's.

The firearms license, granted by the local amphur office, and then registered once bought, is not the same as the right to carry the weapon in public. If you want to keep a pistol on your person in public, then you need a seperate Bai Pok Beun. Otherwise, a sidearm must be stored, bullets and magazine out of weapon, in the glove box, in a bag etc, and other such sensible precautions when being transported.

That's exactly my understanding. Applicants are subject to a police background check.

There are other self defence weapons that don't need a licence and will not permanently injure or kill someone. The simplest and easiest to carry discretely is pepper spray. Handy for evening walks in Pattaya these days.

• Like 2

yes, very naughty. And god help you if you were dumb enough to have an unregistered firearm bought from a local shady character.

If you go to Thanon Burapa in Bangkok, there are many gunshops, and they are quite ok with farangs if you have a .38 or 9mm licence and stay away from .45ACP's.

well illegal guns come per definition from shady characters.

I think the police don't check where they come from or if they have a history......

He only got off that light because our company wrote a letter that he has a fix job and salary and that he has wife and child that need his salary.

Men from Nakhon Si Thammerat, Surat, etc etc......most of them have a gun....the others have two guns biggrin.png

well illegal guns come per definition from shady characters.

I think the police don't check where they come from or if they have a history......

He only got off that light because our company wrote a letter that he has a fix job and salary and that he has wife and child that need his salary.

Men from Nakhon Si Thammerat, Surat, etc etc......most of them have a gun....the others have two guns biggrin.png

Hi, sorry. I thought you were referring to a legal registered firearm that was carried in public without said carry permit. If he had an illegal unregistered firearm, man he was lucky with only two weeks and a fine.

It is possible for farangs to have legal firearms if you have good cause and a work permit. I have had 3 in the jewelry industry when managing gold, diamonds and their resulting cash flow. Although I was not given the carry and conceal extension.

Edited by VisaProblem

Carrying a firearm or ammunition in public without permission is subject to a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. If you are a Thai national or a foreigner with permanent residence, you may apply for a life-time license to own a gun and keep it in your home. Licenses to carry concealed weapons in public are for one year only and must be renewed annually. They are normally only issued to people with a accepted need, such as senators, parliamentarians, gold shop owners etc. It would be extremely rare for foreigners to be issued with a license to carry a concealed weapon, except in the case of accredited embassy personnel. Even US DEA agents seconded to work in Thailand with their Thai counterparts on dangerous missions have had serious difficulties in obtaining carry licenses.

So basically forget it. The same goes for tear gas, pepper spray etc.

• Like 2

Carrying a firearm or ammunition in public without permission is subject to a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. If you are a Thai national or a foreigner with permanent residence, you may apply for a life-time license to own a gun and keep it in your home. Licenses to carry concealed weapons in public are for one year only and must be renewed annually. They are normally only issued to people with a accepted need, such as senators, parliamentarians, gold shop owners etc. It would be extremely rare for foreigners to be issued with a license to carry a concealed weapon, except in the case of accredited embassy personnel. Even US DEA agents seconded to work in Thailand with their Thai counterparts on dangerous missions have had serious difficulties in obtaining carry licenses.

So basically forget it. The same goes for tear gas, pepper spray etc.

Thanks for that information.

Would you give the source regarding your comment about pepper spray, please?

Or take a short piece of rubber hose on your daypack if you like cycling where there are menacing dogs. Quite effective.

When I go on those streets were i know there are dogs gangs. I first pick up a round medium siezed stone. It always work. some doggy's will play hero and come a bit closer but once you hold it up with feeling. they will all back.

Have never ever, in my 13 years in Thailand observed a foreigner walking along the road with a rock, slingshot, pipe, hose, etc in his hand.

Again, since most (but not me) knows everything about it, what can we carry in Thailand?

So what can be carried in public?

Instincts that tell you when a situation is dangerous and the common sense to understand that if you think you need a weapon to go some place you perhaps ought not to go there in the first place.

So what can be carried in public?

Instincts that tell you when a situation is dangerous and the common sense to understand that if you think you need a weapon to go some place you perhaps ought not to go there in the first place.

Its a good answer but not great. cuz in some countries, cities the dangerous situation level might shift sky high. one soi from an other. or a 5 minutes drive with the car.

Or same street OK in the day, but in the night. or just those bloody dogs as be western people like to go on our walks after dinner biggrin.png

Have never ever, in my 13 years in Thailand observed a foreigner walking along the road with a rock, slingshot, pipe, hose, etc in his hand.

Again, since most (but not me) knows everything about it, what can we carry in Thailand?

Pepper spray is legal for self defence in Thailand. Look at 'Asia' in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray