wearing a weapon in Thailand

Mangosteen1

Have never ever, in my 13 years in Thailand observed a foreigner walking along the road with a rock, slingshot, pipe, hose, etc in his hand.

Again, since most (but not me) knows everything about it, what can we carry in Thailand?

Pepper spray is legal for self defence in Thailand. Look at 'Asia' in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

I think pepper spray is legal in Thailand but you still cannot carry it in a public place. For home invasion, OK, for going down the local pub to find someone to use it on, no way...................wink.png

Have never ever, in my 13 years in Thailand observed a foreigner walking along the road with a rock, slingshot, pipe, hose, etc in his hand.

Again, since most (but not me) knows everything about it, what can we carry in Thailand?

Pepper spray is legal for self defence in Thailand. Look at 'Asia' in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

I think pepper spray is legal in Thailand but you still cannot carry it in a public place. For home invasion, OK, for going down the local pub to find someone to use it on, no way...................wink.png

That's effectively what the link in my previous post says.

You can buy a sonic device which will ward of most dogs,as for wanting something in a spray can you can legally carry bug spray,deodorant and a number of other aggressive sprays which are available at most stores.

It looks to me people from a particular part of the world like the carry a firearm,i have no idea why.

dth=20 height=20>

I would beg to differ and say that it is a very good answer in relation to Thailand, which is what the topic is about.

But here we go again, the human ego taking over from common sense with the OP asking what weapons are we allowed to carry in Thailand! Through my experience (which will differ from others I know) if a person is carrying a weapon with premeditated intent, for proclaimed self defense reasons, several things are likely to happen:

1. An escalation of a dangerous situation into a potentially lethal one

2. The person carrying the self defense weapon becoming the aggressor (because they think they can).

3. The person carrying the self defense weapon realizing too late that they have the wrong tool for the job.

4. The person carrying the self defense weapon being arrested before any situation develops.

The above are obviously only a few of many more.

If you find yourself in a situation where potential trouble can happen, get yourself and your friends/family out of there. If you are unable to do that, then try and remain calm and appear as calm and submissive as you can.

If you feel potentially threatened by the streets you are walking then don't walk the streets, either get a taxi or use a different route.

If the situation is unavoidable then the chances of you using your weapon of choice for self defense, only for self defense purposes, are remote. The term don't bring a knife to a gun-fight comes to mind! You would look extremely stupid trying to get the top off the pepper spray to use on someone pointing a gun at you. That would only last for a couple of seconds before you got shot...............wink.png

Common sense people! That is if your ego will allow for it to happen. Unless you are trained for it, carrying weapons for self defense can be potentially lethal.

Your post is far to sensible people with low ego who need weapons will object.

There are of course people who would be able to carry a weapon and use it as a last resort but in general your points hit home.

Really? My neighborhood is ok, but there is a place I sometimes walk to at night to get some food (they are open a little bit later and better than eating 7-11 stuff). On my way out of our neighborhood, I do grab some decent sized rocks to fend off the dogs and it has saved me a few times. The lady who sells water around here got bit by one just the other day. I told her she should keep some rocks in her pockets!

Thankfully, I usually just take the motorbike.

So what can be carried in public?

Instincts that tell you when a situation is dangerous and the common sense to understand that if you think you need a weapon to go some place you perhaps ought not to go there in the first place.

Its a good answer but not great. cuz in some countries, cities the dangerous situation level might shift sky high. one soi from an other. or a 5 minutes drive with the car.

Or same street OK in the day, but in the night. or just those bloody dogs as be western people like to go on our walks after dinner biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I would beg to differ and say that it is a very good answer in relation to Thailand, which is what the topic is about.

But here we go again, the human ego taking over from common sense with the OP asking what weapons are we allowed to carry in Thailand! Through my experience (which will differ from others I know) if a person is carrying a weapon with premeditated intent, for proclaimed self defense reasons, several things are likely to happen:

2. The person carrying the self defense weapon becoming the aggressor (because they think they can).

3. The person carrying the self defense weapon realizing too late that they have the wrong tool for the job.

4. The person carrying the self defense weapon being arrested before any situation develops.

If you find yourself in a situation where potential trouble can happen, get yourself and your friends/family out of there. If you are unable to do that, then try and remain calm and appear as calm and submissive as you can.

If you feel potentially threatened by the streets you are walking then don't walk the streets, either get a taxi or use a different route.

If the situation is unavoidable then the chances of you using your weapon of choice for self defense, only for self defense purposes, are remote. The term don't bring a knife to a gun-fight comes to mind! You would look extremely stupid trying to get the top off the pepper spray to use on someone pointing a gun at you. That would only last for a couple of seconds before you got shot...............wink.png

Common sense people! That is if your ego will allow for it to happen. Unless you are trained for it, carrying weapons for self defense can be potentially lethal.

I've posted and posted a link showing that Thailand has the third highest per capita gun murder rate in the world. It's ten times what it is in the US. Link

You are right in all of your suggestions about staying away from trouble, but you aren't right about what happens when a good citizen carries a gun.

Your points:

1. No, what is actually true is that you will become the most polite, least confrontational person you've ever been if you are carrying a gun. If you shoot someone, even if it's a legal shoot, you are in for hell. You will spend months answering questions, losing sleep, paying lawyers, and that's not to mention the nightmares you'll have recalling it for the rest of your life.

2. See #1.

3. If your gun is the wrong tool for the job, then don't get it out. NO ONE in his right mind really wants to shoot someone.

4. Not if you're carrying legally.

If the situation is unavoidable then the chances of you using your weapon of choice for self defense, only for self defense purposes, are remote. The term don't bring a knife to a gun-fight comes to mind! You would look extremely stupid trying to get the top off the pepper spray to use on someone pointing a gun at you. That would only last for a couple of seconds before you got shot...............wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

I've posted and posted a link showing that Thailand has the third highest per capita gun murder rate in the world. It's ten times what it is in the US. Link

You are right in all of your suggestions about staying away from trouble, but you aren't right about what happens when a good citizen carries a gun.

Your points:

1. No, what is actually true is that you will become the most polite, least confrontational person you've ever been if you are carrying a gun. If you shoot someone, even if it's a legal shoot, you are in for hell. You will spend months answering questions, losing sleep, paying lawyers, and that's not to mention the nightmares you'll have recalling it for the rest of your life.

2. See #1.

3. If your gun is the wrong tool for the job, then don't get it out. NO ONE in his right mind really wants to shoot someone.

4. Not if you're carrying legally.

While I agree with the principles of your post NeverSure, the OP is about being allowed to carry weapons in Thailand for self defense. There are very, very few foreigners who will be issued allowed to carry permits, so to keep inside the law I have not referred to guns that much.