What to do with an old computer

h90

I have here an old Celeron computer that still works.

What to do with it?

We have 15 Computer in the office, for every staff one and 1 "Guest" computer. Network printer.

I know I could install Linux on the computer and it would be a fine computer.

But as file server with IDE harddisks? No

Print Server: don't need

Put it in the stock, wait another 5 years and put them in the junk isn't a good plan.

Donate it? Who want an old Celeron with wiped small HD without keyboard and screen?

Put it in the junk? Somehow it hurts to put something that works in the junk.

Currently installed is a Chinese Version of a Microsoft OS (can't recall Win98 or Win2000 or WinXP).

Run zeros across the hard drive several times. Computers take a fair amount of energy, so running them for no real gain is not a good idea. Best to get them off the company books either through donation or selling them (even if donation is sold for cash). Not much value left in the computer, so it might end up in pieces at Pantip Plaza.

Run zeros across the hard drive several times. Computers take a fair amount of energy, so running them for no real gain is not a good idea. Best to get them off the company books either through donation or selling them (even if donation is sold for cash). Not much value left in the computer, so it might end up in pieces at Pantip Plaza.

It is not even in the company books.....It came with a second hand CNC lathe as there were some critical files on it, they just sent it with the machine.

The usual thing is putting it on the table in the office and tell who want it can take it, under the condition...it is final (no bringing it back) and no question asked on how to install what....

If need a weak computer a ATOM all in one board will take way less energy.....

Maybe time to put it away.....

(Our backup software can start from USB or CD and can write random numbers on the HD....)

I wiped the drive and put some linux on an old one and gave it to a family member. It is fine for web surfing and downloading and the DVD works.

Celeron 1.4ghz 1 core with 1gb of DDR 400 ram and a 80gb drive.

They have a true internet with wifi and only had a phone and one tablet to use it with. Now they can run imap gmail with tunderbord plus torrents or what ever. Don't need a super PC for that stuff.

I wiped the drive and put some linux on an old one and gave it to a family member. It is fine for web surfing and downloading and the DVD works.

Celeron 1.4ghz 1 core with 1gb of DDR 400 ram and a 80gb drive.

They have a true internet with wifi and only had a phone and one tablet to use it with. Now they can run imap gmail with tunderbord plus torrents or what ever. Don't need a super PC for that stuff.

Specs are similar I think, I guess less ram

lets see if someone wants it......We have no extended family and our staff have the pockets full of the latest hi-tech gadgets......

Yes I think it could still do 100% of all office needs. Therefor I resist the idea to put in the junk....