‘Suvarnabhumi-type system’ for Phuket airport taxis

Lite Beer

‘Suvarnabhumi-type system’ for Phuket airport taxis

1381404682_1.jpg

Pratuang Sornkham: Planning well ahead.

PHUKET: Pratuang Sornkham, Director of Airports of Thailand (AoT) in Phuket, and boss of the island’s airport, today revealed some of the airport’s plans for dealing with the taxi mess at the airport and other issues by introducing a system like the one used at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.

Plans for remodelling the taxi and limousine services were supposed to have been announced today (October 10) at a meeting at the airport, but the meeting was postponed.

However, Mr Pratuang did take time to brief members of the press who turned up expecting to hear the plans.

“Vice-Governor Jamroen [Tippayapongtada] will preside over the meeting tomorrow regarding solution to the taxi problem.

But, he explained, “All registered taxis and limousines will be under AoT control.

“We have talked with them and the existing registered taxi drivers and limo drivers have agreed to go along with the new arrangements. Each driver who wants to operate from the airport will have to sign a document.” He did not give details of what will be in the document.

The new system, he said, will be similar to the one operated at Suvarnabhumi Airport. As such, GPS devices will be installed in all the taxis and limousines. “That way drivers will not be able to take passengers ‘out of the way’,” he explained.

“If we get complaints from passengers [about overcharging or other bad behaviour by drivers], we can check immediately and at any time.

“We will have only one service counter [for taxis and limousines], which AoT will control. We will announce later who will manage the counter.”

Mr Pratuang also spoke about the volume of traffic at Phuket Airport and how overcrowding is being tackled until the new terminal opens in February 2014.

He said that this year the maximum number of landings in a day so far this year was 200.

“We have to arrange more [parking] bays. AoT and the air traffic controller’s office will cooperate to organise this matter together. The arrangement of bays needs to be done very carefully.

“An aircraft can circle for around 30 minutes waiting for a landing slot. If it takes much longer than that, then the plane has to go to another airport.

“There was just one case in Phuket this year when this happened. It was a charter flight that could not land on schedule because of a storm.

“The aircraft had to stop at Haad Yai Airport, Krabi Airport and Don Muang Airport before the weather conditions improved so that it could land in Phuket.”

Mr Pratuang also spoke about the Chinese Government imposition of new regulations aimed at reducing so-called zero-baht tours.

“The number of Chinese passengers is higher than any other nationality. I have talked with business people involved with Chinese package tours.

“It will affect [numbers] at first because the businesses have to adjust their packages. But the people I spoke with said that many Chinese would still like to travel to Phuket in the future.”

He said that AoT and the Airport Immigration Police have met and already have plans to provide enough immigration counters and officers to handle the expected rise in passengers in the coming years.

“We will add six more counters for Immigration officers in Arrivals. There is no problem for Departures because passengers do not come all at the same time.”

He revealed that the new terminal to open next year will by no means be the last expansion. “We have plans to build more terminals after we finish that one. We won’t wait until one is finished and then build a new one; we will expand continuously.

“They will be built here – on the site of these offices. We will also knock down the existing employee accommodation. That space can then be used for expansion between 2014 and 2015. By 2017, we expect the airport to be able to handle 15 million passenger movements.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/%E2%80%98suvarnabhumi-type-system%E2%80%99-for-phuket-airport-taxis-42299.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-10

And after the tourist have dealt with the Phuket Airport taxi mafia - for the next 10 to 14 days - they have to look forward to dealing with the Phuket tuk-tuk mafia.

I'm sure all it make a great first impression of Phuket for tourists and a great holiday experience that I am sure will see them return next year.

And after the tourist have dealt with the Phuket Airport taxi mafia - for the next 10 to 14 days - they have to look forward to dealing with the Phuket tuk-tuk mafia.

I'm sure all it make a great first impression of Phuket for tourists and a great holiday experience that I am sure will see them return next year.

But . . . they do seem to keep coming back regardless of what happens . . .

This is supposed to be a "good" thing? The few times I've used the taxi "system" at Suvarnabhumi was a joke. You expect to pay a 50 baht fee for the system to protect yourself from being cheated. On one occasion we needed a larger (van-type) taxi because we had 4 people with luggage. There was one in the queue so I asked the attendant if we could arrange it. Her reply was sure but you will have to pay 200 baht more. The last time I returned from my home country with my Thai wife, the taxi driver didn't turn the meter on when leaving the taxi pickup point. I asked him to turn it on (had already waited in the proper queue and got my 50 baht ticket) and he refused. He explained to my wife that our house is "too close" to the airport so the "fixed fee" is 200 baht. Normally a taxi from my home to the airport is around 85 baht. What is the point of having a so-called proper taxi system at the airport if the staff manning the stands and the drivers aren't held to standard? By the way, I fly in and out of Thailand, for business, at least 2-3 times a month and I can confirm the taxi "system" at Suvarnabhumi is a joke and shouldn't be used as a model for any other airport unless it is fixed. I personally try to avoid it by having my wife take me to and pick me up but that is not always possible as sometimes she travels with me.

Edited by sstuff3
  • Like 2

Suvarnabhumi style means mandatory meter use and an airport surcharge for regular metered taxis. Does Phuket have such a thing as metered taxis?

AoT also have their own non-competing, set-rate limo service in BKK. Do they have that presence in Phuket?

Regarding all the zero-baht Chinese tourists, Phuket can have the lot!

• Like 1

Swampy works, the 50 Baht surcharge..Ok I can take that and in the past 3 year, travelling to and from the airport at least twice a month, I have never had the meter refused. On the rare occasion that the driver does not switch it on, I ask and he turns it on. Only once was my fare 10 kilometres longer than the normal trip(going the same way), when I mentioned I paid the normal fare. I speak very little Thai, I try a little and maybe that makes a difference...who knows. All I am saying is that I do not see the problems with taxi's that other see and I too am a very regular user of the taxi's there. It has to be a vast improvement on what is at Phuket already, never been there, never planning to either.

This is supposed to be a "good" thing? The few times I've used the taxi "system" at Suvarnabhumi was a joke. You expect to pay a 50 baht fee for the system to protect yourself from being cheated. On one occasion we needed a larger (van-type) taxi because we had 4 people with luggage. There was one in the queue so I asked the attendant if we could arrange it. Her reply was sure but you will have to pay 200 baht more. The last time I returned from my home country with my Thai wife, the taxi driver didn't turn the meter on when leaving the taxi pickup point. I asked him to turn it on (had already waited in the proper queue and got my 50 baht ticket) and he refused. He explained to my wife that our house is "too close" to the airport so the "fixed fee" is 200 baht. Normally a taxi from my home to the airport is around 85 baht. What is the point of having a so-called proper taxi system at the airport if the staff manning the stands and the drivers aren't held to standard? By the way, I fly in and out of Thailand, for business, at least 2-3 times a month and I can confirm the taxi "system" at Suvarnabhumi is a joke and shouldn't be used as a model for any other airport unless it is fixed. I personally try to avoid it by having my wife take me to and pick me up but that is not always possible as sometimes she travels with me.

I would have immediately told him to "Stop!", and begun shouting for police. I've never had this happen from the airport, but HAVE had it happen from a hotel (after being careful to ask for a metered taxi and the driver assuring that he was/would). Got my stuff & walked half a block back to the hotel & complained to the front desk, and gave them the taxi no. They were very apologetic and had me driven to Suv. in a hotel car free of charge. 'Don't know what, if anything, happened to the recalcitrant taxi driver.

I've never had problems with the taxi system at Swampy, and I've been using them for years. I do kind of make a point of examining that receipt/complaint form they give you, so the driver knows I know... ...without being in his face about it.

Edited by hawker9000

I would have immediately told him to "Stop!", and begun shouting for police. I've never had this happen from the airport, but HAVE had it happen from a hotel (after being careful to ask for a metered taxi and the driver assuring that he was/would). Got my stuff & walked half a block back to the hotel & complained to the front desk, and gave them the taxi no. They were very apologetic and had me driven to Suv. in a hotel car free of charge. 'Don't know what, if anything, happened to the recalcitrant taxi driver.

I've never had problems with the taxi system at Swampy, and I've been using them for years. I do kind of make a point of examining that receipt/complaint form they give you, so the driver knows I know... ...without being in his face about it.

After 24+ hours of traveling I honestly didn't have the energy to fight, which I am sure they count on. I did send the complaint form in but seriously doubt any follow-up is ever done on those as I found it quite bold of him to violate the rules knowing I was given a complaint form with his taxi number on it.

“There was just one case in Phuket this year when this happened. It was a charter flight that could not land on schedule because of a storm.

“The aircraft had to stop at Haad Yai Airport, Krabi Airport and Don Muang Airport before the weather conditions improved so that it could land in Phuket.” Why in gods and buddhas name did this plane go first to Had Yai, than so to Krabi, ond so further to Don Muang ? If it could not land in Phuket it should land on some near airport. It sounds like the plane landed several places before it landed in Phuket. I do not understand why they are doing this. If they could land in Had Yai, why not stop there, becauce of safety reasons ? Probabably a Thai airliner.

Welcome to Thailand - this is the first scam you will meet after leaving the airport building.

Actually I think the scam begins whilst you are still in the airport building at the AOT service counter.

AoT service counter where? Phuket?

The AoT limo desks at Suvarnabhumi don't run any scam. There's a menu with pictures and fixed prices for the different types of cars to different destinations. Say 6 classes of car and choice of Bangkok or Pattaya or Hua Hin so that's 18 pegged prices. Not too hard to work out that a Camry will always be cheaper than a BMW 7 on any route.

If AoT limo's are in your 'too expensive' bracket, don't use one and then say your were scammed when in reality you personally chose to blow your own budget.

+1 I would agree completely with your experience hawker9000, and the actions you suggest if the taxi driver took the lead by not turning on the meter.

They have the same system at Don Muang, only meter taxis, have used these for years without a single problem. IMO the system works.

My only question is why, after all the problems Phuket has been having on this front, it has taken so long for this to be suggested.