Sticker Shock

CMfoodie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. That would be pricey even in most parts of the US.

Strange.

ny pricing in cm. woohoo!

tourists straight off the plane (who bypassed bkk) might be fooled. but who else is going to regularly choose going to this dukes? perhaps promenada will eventually fulfill its objective of being chiang mais paragon? got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go.

• Like 1

Very strange...and not really adding up right unless prices are considerably higher at that location. A couple of the items we get often like Spaghetti Carbonara and the ribs. The Spaghetti is usually around the 300 THB mark and includes a salad. The ribs are (if I recall correctly) around the 275 THB mark for 1/2 rack so I don't understand the 'promotion' at all.

The rent must be murder there.

And yet Rim Ping manages to charge the same as everywhere else.

It's even bigger.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Which restaurant to eat in is influenced by both the food on offer and the surroundings and the balance between the two is a very personal choice. I've had some rather average meals in expensive places and left feeling happy to have been treated to a special view or particularly great ambience. Promenada is presenting itself as an upmarket venue (with rents to match, no doubt) so the fact that prices are higher is in keeping with that image and the likely absence of low end fast food chains won't disappoint many of their prospective customers.

Buy some groceries at Rimping and, unless you place a value on the shopping bag, they have no more value than if you popped into any of the other branches. Harrods Food Hall and Fortnum & Mason can get away with it but not many others can.

I haven't seen The Duke's restaurant but would expect that they calculate that the admittedly steep prices are justified by the value that the location adds and that the customers that Promenada promises to deliver will be prepared to pay a premium to enjoy the surroundings. Time will tell if CM folk will stump up international prices.

• Like 1

Been to Promenada , once,wont be going again,nothing

of interest for me,RimPing too dark ,once the Central

Festival opens it will turn into a ghost mall.

The prices quoted by Dukes are supposed to be specials,

so cannot imagine the prices of the regular items on the

menu,as with everything,its the profit that makes them

expensive.,but wish Dave good luck with the venture.I

suppose he knows what hes doing and will prove us all

wrong. regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

^where is anyone talking about food stalls? or 30 baht meals? were comparing one dukes to another...

as for the location and ambiance of promeneda...the location is awful and the ambiance is being destroyed more and more by the month, with all the cheap-o inner stalls, noise, etc. bottom line, the "resort style mall" has missed its mark by a long shot. its 10% high-end and 90% fluff right now. dukes is charging (perhaps forced to do so) a premium for an atmosphere and offerings that simply aren't present.

my feeling exactly. i don't understand who these vendors think their target customers are. tourists? not a chance. what tourist would go to a shopping mall while on vacation? and at a location out in the boonies of the San Kampheng Road? is the tourist the target for the 188,000 Bahts furniture too? can they get it home in their backpack? the mall is a flop in my opinion. the cheapo stalls are terrible, the ridiculous amount of expensive coffee bars (more than half of them haven't had a single customers on the occasions i have been there to shop at Rimping), the cheapo mobile shops, snack bars, etc. nothing against Dukes Restaurant ( i happen to really enjoy their fare and the family does as well) but everyone who lives here knows that from what appears to be happening here, the prices are far far less at the location near the river Mae Ping. personally i don't know any local Thais or falangs who have been to the night bazaar location because everyone knows the prices are higher there. sure they get the tourists because they don't know and it is in the middle of the tourist area. nothing wrong with that. but again who are the targeted customers at this new mall selling at Bangkok prices?

90% fluff, for sure and some vendors desperate to make a sale. when i was there last an Israeli woman (i overheard her speaking Hebrew) was trying to pawn some expensive skin care products to my wife. she told her flat out "not interested". the Thai girl helping told the wife that she couldn't give away free samples. didn't anyone do market research?

Edited by Oscar2

Dave for all his faults is a canny businessman so I guess he knows what he's doing I believe there was a similar thread to this one when he opened the Dukes in the Night Bazaar with slightly higher prices than the original. At the end of the day we have a choice of a number of Dave's establishments scattered around Chiang mai and the choice to visit anyone of them, if you don't like the price at the Promeneda head down to one of his other restaurants,

I'm always amazed what people get worked up about on this forum wink.png

Dave for all his faults is a canny businessman so I guess he knows what he's doing I believe there was a similar thread to this one when he opened the Dukes in the Night Bazaar with slightly higher prices than the original. At the end of the day we have a choice of a number of Dave's establishments scattered around Chiang mai and the choice to visit anyone of them, if you don't like the price at the Promeneda head down to one of his other restaurants,

I'm always amazed what people get worked up about on this forum wink.png

propaly not got much else to do,does get boring in cnx,as one can see by posters commenting about supermarkets,and over priced farang resturants.

Anyone want to tell them they spelt 'Litre' wrong?

Or is that a Chiang Mai variant?

Yeh, Yeh ... I know that's how the Yanks spell it ... facepalm.gif

But they can't even get their measurement of a 'Gallon' correct ... tongue.png

... any other demographic of the Chiang Mai community I can upset!

I'm confused! Us brits spell 'litre' the same way. I thought it was the Americans who spelt it wrong (liter).

• Like 1

I have just read "Sticker Shock" along with all the comments, I don't understand all the fuss about the pricing? The combinations I think may very well be directed towards a sharing table of friends, but many Thai and Foreigners like to eat that way, for me I just order off the menu....

I'm wondering now is the Dukes open finally, if so does it have air conditioning? Or is it hot like on the other side like Mix, Fuji and the Japanese place beside Mix?

Also I'm curious if they can make "Long Island Ice Tea" like the River Market, in my opinion they have the best LIIT in Chiang Mai there!

While I'm at it, anyone try (if it's open) the "Strawberry Daiquiri" they make that really good at the Dukes on the river......